Mets affiliate hires Backman to manage team

JetNation

Very interesting.

So, a couple of years ago, he was deemed too much of a PR risk to manage the big club, but now he is involved in one of their more visible affiliates.

Wally Backman will be the next manager of the New York Mets.

Wally Backman was hired Monday as manager of the New York Mets' Brooklyn Cyclones farm team in the New York-Penn League.

emailthis.png delicious.gif digg.gif facebook.gif

img.phdo?p=1eus.gif?eui=2224

More...

Anyone have the contract details? I want to make sure it is in line with what the other managers on that level are making.

Fair question.

Big Market teams have a hidden extra advantage of being able to pump monies into their scouting and development.

Great point Max, and I am considering you a part of the church of the converted.

Very interesting.

So, a couple of years ago, he was deemed too much of a PR risk to manage the big club, but now he is involved in one of their more visible affiliates.

Wally Backman will be the next manager of the New York Mets.

Salary-wise it's tough to say how much he will make. Suspect he probably will be better paid than any other A manager, because the Cyclones are a cash cow.

Weird thing is based on his record, Backman has won every place he's been. Would the risk-averse Wilpons allow him to move up to the big job with this much baggage? They very well might if the Mets continue to suck with Manuel screwing the pooch again and if Backman succeeds. And it would be the Wilpons' move. Omar has nothing to do with Backman.

And I'd say right now he will succeed. There have been many successful managers-Leo Durocher, Billy Martin-who were not wonderful people. If Backman's troubles are past, his cache with Mets fans might be enough. Really could he do any worse than Manuel?

This is the first step in a tryout.

Brooklyn serves as his testing ground. If he can stay straight, keep his fists to himself, you can be assured that after 2 years, the Mets job is his, if the big club needs help.

The Mets view Backman as the 2nd coming of Davey Johnson (the fans like it, it scares the front office to hell), and this club needs any positive PR it can generate for its fan base.

This is no small story.

Salary-wise it's tough to say how much he will make. Suspect he probably will be better paid than any other A manager, because the Cyclones are a cash cow.

Weird thing is based on his record, Backman has won every place he's been. Would the risk-averse Wilpons allow him to move up to the big job with this much baggage? They very well might if the Mets continue to suck with Manuel screwing the pooch again and if Backman succeeds. And it would be the Wilpons' move. Omar has nothing to do with Backman.

And I'd say right now he will succeed. There have been many successful managers-Leo Durocher, Billy Martin-who were not wonderful people. If Backman's troubles are past, his cache with Mets fans might be enough. Really could he do any worse than Manuel?

This is the first step in a tryout.

just to clarify... The Cyclones didnt hire Backman. The Mets hired him and named him manager of the Cyclones. Minor league teams have no say on who plays or coaches for the team.

So please JN Bot... get it right next time or I'll call for your banning!

The Wilpons own and manage the Cylcones. In fact until he was bumped up Jeff Wilpon

was listed as the GM when the franchise started in 2001. Even though I'm a Yankees fan, Coney Island is a 10 minute car ride away, it's a beautiful stadium and the prices are reasonable.

The Wilpons own and manage the Cylcones. In fact until he was bumped up Jeff Wilpon

was listed as the GM when the franchise started in 2001. Even though I'm a Yankees fan, Coney Island is a 10 minute car ride away, it's a beautiful stadium and the prices are reasonable.

i know the Mets own it. I was just clarifying that the affiliate has no say on coaches or players as the title suggested.

A member of the Mets' 1986 World Series championship team, Backman was hired to manage the Arizona Diamondbacks in November 2004. He was fired four days later after the New York Times reported he had been arrested twice and had financial problems.

"I am thrilled and grateful to be coming back to the Mets' organization," he said in a statement. "Brooklyn is a major minor league team, and I know the borough's fans are -- like me -- intensely passionate about baseball and about winning."

Backman, who spent nine of 14 major league seasons with the Mets, managed the South Georgia Peanuts of the independent South Coast League in 2007. But he resigned that August following run-ins with umpires and a press box argument with another team's radio announcer. There was also a forfeited game when his team refused to return to the field after a brawl with rival Macon.

He then returned three days later and managed the team to the league title. He managed the Joliet Jackhammers of the Northern League in 2008.

"He has always been a fan favorite in New York, symbolizing the blue-collar work ethic and unbridled dedication to winning that this city -- and particularly this borough -- values above all else in its sports stars," Cyclones general manager Steve Cohen said in a statement. "Brooklyn and Backman were made for each other.

[url=http://promo-prod.blogspot.com/]

A member of the Mets' 1986 World Series championship team, Backman was hired to manage the Arizona Diamondbacks in November 2004. He was fired four days later after the New York Times reported he had been arrested twice and had financial problems.

"I am thrilled and grateful to be coming back to the Mets' organization," he said in a statement. "Brooklyn is a major minor league team, and I know the borough's fans are -- like me -- intensely passionate about baseball and about winning."

Backman, who spent nine of 14 major league seasons with the Mets, managed the South Georgia Peanuts of the independent South Coast League in 2007. But he resigned that August following run-ins with umpires and a press box argument with another team's radio announcer. There was also a forfeited game when his team refused to return to the field after a brawl with rival Macon.

He then returned three days later and managed the team to the league title. He managed the Joliet Jackhammers of the Northern League in 2008.

"He has always been a fan favorite in New York, symbolizing the blue-collar work ethic and unbridled dedication to winning that this city -- and particularly this borough -- values above all else in its sports stars," Cyclones general manager Steve Cohen said in a statement. "Brooklyn and Backman were made for each other.

You make interesting points.

Must I be from the UK in order to purchase from you? I have extra american dollars, and would like to purchase championship memorabilia for my friends on this site

Archived