Serious Hockey Questions

Maxman

Is it just me or does the new Hockey Promo suck? The Pledge of Allegiance thing. The Great One, the next Great One blah blah blah. Bad job guys that is boring.

But what have ticket sales been like so far? I wonder if this is like baseball ala 1995 after the strike. Will it take people time to warm up to the sport again or are they embracing it?

I am not a fan of the sport myself, was just thinking of this more from the business side of things.

Who cares? Hockey Sucks. The only hockey worth watching is perhaps, playoff hockey. Even then, I'd be willing to trade it in for a large Dunkin Donuts coffee on an extra cold day. I kind of enjoyed the lockout - no hockey news littering the sports segment on the local newscast.

Who cares? Hockey Sucks. The only hockey worth watching is perhaps, playoff hockey. Even then, I'd be willing to trade it in for a large Dunkin Donuts coffee on an extra cold day. I kind of enjoyed the lockout - no hockey news littering the sports segment on the local newscast.

Thanks for the insight. This post, just like most of your other ones has been most helpful.

Please :roll: The only reason you posted your question in the first place is to kiss up to GGG. :mrgreen:

Hey, good for Hockey fans. They are happy. People won't come out in droves to see Hockey however....and to compare it to Baseball is pretty darn laughable.

Haven't seen any of the promos yet but Hockey is going to go right back where it was only the hard core fans will watch. Crosby is the next big name but he is in Pittsburgh so you won't really hear much. They need to

Cut down the number of teams: Talent is not there for 30 plus teams

Cut down on the teams going to the playoffs make the regular season a little more meaningful

Let them fight again

Cut out that point for overtime loss (hey you lost get over it)

Get rid of the shootout added (ruins probably one the exciting points in the penalty shot)

Ties suck but they have been around for ever

Things they added which are good

More games against divison rivals

open up the game with removing the red line, smaller pads for goalies, and supposed to crack down on glutching grabbing.

I have been a fan for awhile and the last couple of years the defensive style of blocking up center ice has killed the game.

Why is it that hockey and hockey only seems to bring out everyone and their mother who has to share the fact that they don't like hockey? I see it with no other sport, just hockey. The second anyone mentions the sport, there are 10 people who dispise the game who feel the need to come in and 'share' their opinion about the sport with those that enjoy it. It's as easy as this: IF YOU DON"T LIKE THE SPORT THAT'S FINE, BUT I DON'T CARE SO SHUT THE F-CK UP.

If you don't like hockey, don't watch it. If you don't like hockey turn the channel when the highlights come on. If you don't like hockey then don't bother coming into the NHL forum. For the love of god, I mean this when I say it: I'd rather watch curling then the NBA where a bunch of overpaid street thugs with socks on their arm and $30,000 in rocks on their ears spend all day jamming the ball because they have no jump shot. But I have better things to do then waste what little free time I have in the NBA forum telling everyone how sh*tty basketball is.

Now Max to answer your question:

Obviously the NHL doesn't have the fan base that MLB does and because of that I don't see it being 'as bad' as the post-strike MLB years. (Hell it took me 4 years to go back to supporting the Tigers and baseball after that debacle). However, I jumped online yesterday and got 2 tickets for the Red Wings home opener 9 hrs before the game and in years past that would have NEVER happened. Not a chance. Hell when I went to Will Call to get my tickets, people were still buying tickets for the game an hour prior. To put in perspective, for the past 5 years since I've returned from Germany, you were lucky to find 2 tickets next to each other for a fricken Columbus Blue Jackets game let alone the home opener.

Not sure if it is part of a fan 'backlash' or the Red Wings 'releasing' some hidden tickets to kiss the collective asses of their pissed off fan base. Detroit is a hockey city (it would be baseball if the Tigers were any good) there were a lot of empty seats last night for a home opener. I'm not sure what to read of that. I know that most people, while upset, are not letting it affect them any longer and are excited for its return.

One area fans, at least in Detrroit, are pissed about, is despite the fact that payroll was slashed (The Red Wings were the Yankees of hockey) ticket prices remain highest in the league and the concessions are the same. I know they're still paying pre-salary cap wages on some contracts but that won't fly down the road.

Please :roll: The only reason you posted your question in the first place is to kiss up to GGG. :mrgreen:

Hey, good for Hockey fans. They are happy. People won't come out in droves to see Hockey however....and to compare it to Baseball is pretty darn laughable.

Oh okay Garb. Be sure to add that to your dirt files.

Oh okay Garb. Be sure to add that to your dirt files.

Please, that doesn't qualify as dirt. :lol:

All kidding aside, GOB has a point. Hockey does muster up a lot of hatred from the non-hockey set...and yes, it's is weird.

Also weird, I don't watch Hocket during the season.....just miserably boring in my opinion. However, it can be exciting as heck during the Stlanley Cup playoff's. So strange.

Hockey has it's hard core fans that are loyal and knowlegeable- very few casual fans of hockey.

But I would put those hard core fans up against any fans of other sports for their passion and interest

I think it is going to take some time for teams that always sold out to get back to where they were as evidenced by Detroit and Guns though

Guns...thanks for the thoughts.

And yes I am not sure what it is about Hockey that people feel the need to say they hate it. I clarify that I am not a fan to cover up my lack of knowledge.

So it is good to get to go see a game while the fans come back, no doubt about that. Also I am sure this will keep the ticket prices in line for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you're the one that sucks. :wink: Hockey is the best sport in all the land. Yeah I said it, it's better than football.

Please don't tell me you like basketball better than hockey. :shock:

Why is it that hockey and hockey only seems to bring out everyone and their mother who has to share the fact that they don't like hockey? I see it with no other sport, just hockey. The second anyone mentions the sport, there are 10 people who dispise the game who feel the need to come in and 'share' their opinion about the sport with those that enjoy it. It's as easy as this: IF YOU DON"T LIKE THE SPORT THAT'S FINE, BUT I DON'T CARE SO SHUT THE F-CK UP.

If you don't like hockey, don't watch it. If you don't like hockey turn the channel when the highlights come on. If you don't like hockey then don't bother coming into the NHL forum. For the love of god, I mean this when I say it: I'd rather watch curling then the NBA where a bunch of overpaid street thugs with socks on their arm and $30,000 in rocks on their ears spend all day jamming the ball because they have no jump shot. But I have better things to do then waste what little free time I have in the NBA forum telling everyone how sh*tty basketball is.

Great post GOB. Watching NBA basketball is simply insufferable. The game is mind-numbingly boring, and mediocre players get 7 million a year. Watching players celebrate like they just won the championship after making a wide open dunk drives me nuts, especially when I have to watch it on Sportscenter as a "top play," even though anybody tall enough could easily make the same dunk. Hockey requires significantly more effort, skill, and work than basketball and if it was promoted in the same way that all the other sports are, it would be way more popular than the NBA. I like pretty much all of the rule changes, except for still allowing a team to automatically get 1 point for getting to OT, and I think they will help the game become more popular.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived