Leonhard sounds off on Kerry Rhodes comments

Kentucky Jet

Jets Leonhard sounds off on Kerry Rhodes comments

Apr1 4/1/2010 10:59:08 AM | More

Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News reports when S Kerry Rhodes was traded to the Cardinals, he delivered some parting shots, saying he felt the Jets' coaching staff usurped his leadership responsibilities by giving the play-calling responsibilities on defense to former Raven players -- i.e. S Jim Leonhard. Rhodes called it "a slap in the face," suggesting it hampered his ability to make plays.

Leonhard, addressing the matter today for the first time, said the coaching staff was actually trying to help Rhodes and that he took it the wrong way.

"They wanted to take some of the load off Kerry's shoulders," Leonhard told me during the first open locker-room session for media. "He didn't need to shoulder as much of the burden as he did in the past. I think they thought that would free him up to concentrate on making plays. Apparently, he took it the wrong way. They weren't trying to slight him at all. They were trying to make it easier for him."

We all know how it worked out. Rhodes didn't make any big plays over the first 10 weeks and was temporarily demoted. When he returned to the starting lineup, he finally started to deliver impact plays -- but not enough to keep him around.

Rhodes' post-trade comments came off as selfish, considering the Jets finished No. 1 in overall defense. Leonhard didn't want to label Rhodes that way, but he ackowledged, "He was hurt. I understand how he felt. He didn't leave here on the terms he would've liked. I have no hard feelings toward him, but I just know the coaching staff wasn't trying to take anything away from him. They were trying to make him a better player and he took it the wrong way."

Jets Leonhard sounds off on Kerry Rhodes comments

Apr1 4/1/2010 10:59:08 AM | More

Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News reports when S Kerry Rhodes was traded to the Cardinals, he delivered some parting shots, saying he felt the Jets' coaching staff usurped his leadership responsibilities by giving the play-calling responsibilities on defense to former Raven players -- i.e. S Jim Leonhard. Rhodes called it "a slap in the face," suggesting it hampered his ability to make plays.

Leonhard, addressing the matter today for the first time, said the coaching staff was actually trying to help Rhodes and that he took it the wrong way.

"They wanted to take some of the load off Kerry's shoulders," Leonhard told me during the first open locker-room session for media. "He didn't need to shoulder as much of the burden as he did in the past. I think they thought that would free him up to concentrate on making plays. Apparently, he took it the wrong way. They weren't trying to slight him at all. They were trying to make it easier for him."

We all know how it worked out. Rhodes didn't make any big plays over the first 10 weeks and was temporarily demoted. When he returned to the starting lineup, he finally started to deliver impact plays -- but not enough to keep him around.

Rhodes' post-trade comments came off as selfish, considering the Jets finished No. 1 in overall defense. Leonhard didn't want to label Rhodes that way, but he ackowledged, "He was hurt. I understand how he felt. He didn't leave here on the terms he would've liked. I have no hard feelings toward him, but I just know the coaching staff wasn't trying to take anything away from him. They were trying to make him a better player and he took it the wrong way."

what a mo

Archived