Someone on the the Browns wanted Wilson too!

SenorGato

Rex Ryan implies that twin brother Rob wanted CB Kyle Wilson

May 2

5/2/2010 8:27:25 AM | More

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Jets coach Rex Ryan strongly suggested during his press conference today that his twin brother Rob, the defensive coordinator for the Browns, wanted Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson at No. 7. The Browns selected Florida cornerback Joe Haden and Wilson fell to the Jets at No. 29.

Ryan didn't use Rob's name, but said, "There is somebody that I really know well for a long time that basically said that he was their guy and they picked a lot earlier than us. You can probably figure it out. That's who he wanted and then after practice, I'm like 'Yep. I guarantee you were right because this guy is the real deal.'"

While the Browns were on the clock, ESPN's Michael Smith, who was reporting from Cleveland, said that the Browns were debating between Wilson and Haden. Later, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert said that wasn't true.

They say it was Rob...I say it was Rob AND Mangini, both who've known Rex for a long time...IIRC on Draft Day they (ESPN and NFL) said that Holmgren said that the difference between Wilson and Haden was that one was from the SEC and the other wasn't.

They say it was Rob...I say it was Rob AND Mangini, both who've known Rex for a long time...IIRC on Draft Day they (ESPN and NFL) said that Holmgren said that the difference between Wilson and Haden was that one was from the SEC and the other wasn't.

in which case i would have rather had haden then wilson. haden faced much better opponents. but that doesn't mean that wilson won't turn into a better cb in the nfl. only time will tell. i'm totally happy with wilson falling to us.

in which case i would have rather had haden then wilson. haden faced much better opponents. but that doesn't mean that wilson won't turn into a better cb in the nfl. only time will tell. i'm totally happy with wilson falling to us.

If the Browns take Wilson then somebody before #29 probably would have taken Haden and then maybe McCourty or Jackson falls to #29 but it's possible they wouldn't have either. Tough to talk in absolutes but them taking Haden was probably best case for us. Haden's certainly a talented cover guy, but I like Wilson's fit for the scheme/team a little better. A little more swag and a little more physical...not to say I would have taken Wilson over Haden but Wilson just fits a bit better IMO.

I think Wilson was a great value , falling to us at 29.

I wonder who the Jets would have taken given the choice of Odrick or Wilson. Based on nothing I think they'd still have taken Wilson. He really seems like an ideal fit for this team.

If the Browns take Wilson then somebody before #29 probably would have taken Haden and then maybe McCourty or Jackson falls to #29 but it's possible they wouldn't have either. Tough to talk in absolutes but them taking Haden was probably best case for us. Haden's certainly a talented cover guy, but I like Wilson's fit for the scheme/team a little better. A little more swag and a little more physical...not to say I would have taken Wilson over Haden but Wilson just fits a bit better IMO.

oh yeah, haden would have been long gone. it just worked out perfectly. if we have a rematch with the colts again. with wilson it's going to be a completely different game.

Archived