Jets want Vladimir Ducasse to start over

Kentucky Jet

May 20, 2010

Jets want rookie Vladimir Ducasse to start over

By Manish Mehta

The education of Vladimir Ducasse will begin with a course on selective amnesia.

For all the promise Ducasse flashed at Division 1-AA UMass, Jets offensive line coach Bill Callahan wants the rookie to, well, start over.

The Jets have entrusted Callahan with helping the 6-5, 330-pound Ducasse make a smooth transition to the next level. To that end, Callahan's first lesson was to view the game - and his new position - with a clean slate.

"When any of these players come in, it's important that they kind of wipe out mentally what they've ever done in the past," Callahan told me.

"So when they come to us, we start from scratch. We take nothing for granted. So this process is all the same whether they come from the University of Michigan or UMass. It doesn't matter. We try to treat them all the same in that respect."

Ducasse, of course, will compete with second-year pro Matt Slauson for Alan Faneca's old left guard spot. The Jets' second-round pick slides to the left side of the line for the first time since spring ball during his sophomore year in college.

It's certainly a big leap from Division 1-AA to NFL starter. So, Callahan has preached patience.

"For an offensive lineman, it takes a little bit more time," Callahan said. "They have to go through a series of learning the offense, the new techniques, and then executing them full speed and getting ready to perform them on stage in front of the best people in the league. We're confident that we can take any of these young guys and mold them into players."

Jason Taylor and LaDainian Tomlinson may be future Hall of Famers, but they won't be immune from some good-natured ribbing from their new teammates. Although the veterans have been warmly received by the guys in the locker room, All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis promised some hi-jinx in the near future.

"The thing about it is that we kind of hold stuff in until training camp," Revis said with a laugh. "We might get (Taylor) in OTAs. We got a lot of stuff for LT with his electric glide video. We're going to get him on that a little bit. We kind of hold things in and then try to make jokes out of them later on."

I'm headed to Florham Park for today's Organized Team Activities. Follow me on Twitter @TheJetsStream for updates throughout the day.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...#ixzz0oUKN2ACL

Callahan might be the best in the biz as an overall position/unit coach. Guy is top notch with the Oline and I love his philosphy of starting over. If I was Vlad, I'd be stoke to be learning from a guy like him.

Callahan might be the best in the biz as an overall position/unit coach. Guy is top notch with the Oline and I love his philosphy of starting over. If I was Vlad, I'd be stoke to be learning from a guy like him.

Absolutely agree. As long as this guy is in charge of our line, I'll have no concerns about any of the decisions this team makes regarding the OL, no matter how peculiar they may seem. Until I see otherwise, I feel fully confident Callahan is going to have someone in there playing just as well, if not better, than Faneca was last year. It doesn't matter if its Vlad, Slauson or someone else all together, this guy knows his stuff.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5sDXBOEsi4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5sDXBOEsi4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Sorry, this article reminds me of this...

I READ THE DEFENSE!

Archived