Top Five trainining Camp Battles

flgreen

Battle for Starting Left Guard Spot

Previous

2 of 7 Next

95831481_display_image.jpg?1278877297

No team has created more of a buzz going into the 2010 season than last year's playoff darlings, the New York Jets.

I thought now is a good time to preview some of the position battles in training camp this year.

The Jets have added talent at a variety of positions in 2010 on both sides of the ball. After leading the NFL in rushing yards per game, there is no certainty as to who will be the starting running back after the release of leading rusher Thomas Jones. The Jets have a holdover, a free agent addition, and a newly drafted rookie competing for snaps.

The Jets also led the NFL in passing defense in 2009, yet broke up the secondary that led the way. With turnover at both the cornerback and safety positions, it'll be interested to see who earns playing time for an ambitious defense that plans on developing into an even stronger unit in year two of the Rex Ryan era.

Are the Jets planning on signing a veteran quarterback to provide more stability and depth at the position?

Who steps up at slot receiver during the first four games of the season while new addition Santonio Holmes serves his suspension?

Some positions are set in stone, some are a little murkier. It's definitely going to be a wild ride, as Jets training camp begins year two in the Rex Ryan era in Cortland, NY. The television cameras will be set to go as HBO's Hard Knocks will chronicle an uncensored training camp experience on national television.

2010 is set to be a wild ride for Jets fans. I know I'm excited to see if the Jets can kickoff the inaugural season in New Meadowlands Stadium with a memorable season.

Let's look at five position battles that will have a big impact on the team going forward as the season starts.

89877074_display_image.jpg?1278877454

After putting up the best team rushing performance in franchise history, the Jets offensive line proved that they are a well-oiled machine capable of greatness, especially when considering young stars D

By Jon Presser

(Jets Featured Columnist) on July 11, 2010

134 reads

6 comments

0 likes

Battle for the Most Snaps at Running Back

Previous

3 of 7 Next

No team has created more of a buzz going into the 2010 season than last year's playoff darlings, the New York Jets.

I thought now is a good time to preview some of the position battles in training camp this year.

The Jets have added talent at a variety of positions in 2010 on both sides of the ball. After leading the NFL in rushing yards per game, there is no certainty as to who will be the starting running back after the release of leading rusher Thomas Jones. The Jets have a holdover, a free agent addition, and a newly drafted rookie competing for snaps.

The Jets also led the NFL in passing defense in 2009, yet broke up the secondary that led the way. With turnover at both the cornerback and safety positions, it'll be interested to see who earns playing time for an ambitious defense that plans on developing into an even stronger unit in year two of the Rex Ryan era.

Are the Jets planning on signing a veteran quarterback to provide more stability and depth at the position?

Who steps up at slot receiver during the first four games of the season while new addition Santonio Holmes serves his suspension?

Some positions are set in stone, some are a little murkier. It's definitely going to be a wild ride, as Jets training camp begins year two in the Rex Ryan era in Cortland, NY. The television cameras will be set to go as HBO's Hard Knocks will chronicle an uncensored training camp experience on national television.

2010 is set to be a wild ride for Jets fans. I know I'm excited to see if the Jets can kickoff the inaugural season in New Meadowlands Stadium with a memorable season.

Let's look at five position battles that will have a big impact on the team going forward as the season starts.

After putting up the best team rushing performance in franchise history, the Jets offensive line proved that they are a well-oiled machine capable of greatness, especially when considering young stars D

Battle for Snaps on the Defensive Line Rotation

Previous

4 of 7 Next

By Jon Presser

(Jets Featured Columnist) on July 11, 2010

134 reads

6 comments

0 likes

Battle for the Punter Job

Previous

5 of 7 Next

Battle for Snaps at the Safety Spots

Previous

6 of 7 Next

I think they lwft out Pitouatua (sp?). he will contribute more on the dline this year. someone his size can't be ignored.

Misspelled his name, its Pitouta. And yes I know about Taylor but I don't think he counts for the big guys up front, they were talking specifically about the front 3/4 men, not the linebackers.

It's Pitoitua. I agree he'll play a bigger role. I think the article is reading way too much into Gholston's reps now. They are giving him more reps in camp so he becomes familiar with the position. The same way they weren't letting Leonhard and Pool work together, so that Pool would feel more comfortable taking a leadership role.

I also think they are wrong about Folk being handed the job. Kickers can be signed late and don't have to mesh with the team. I think they will see who shakes out after final cuts if they aren't completely satisfied with Folk.

I'm not as worried about carries at RB as I am about who will start at FB. IMO that can shape the roster. If Conner is ready, I think that Richardson will retire and they may keep Davis if he shows anything on ST. If Conner isn't, Richardson starts and Conner is on the roster. This could be a roster issue, especially if Conner isn't a quality ST guy.

S time is a more important battle for playing time, because 1 or more of those guys may be out. Ihedigbo has some ability as a rotation guy, but Pool or Smith will be the every down guy. They may not want to keep four safeties and that may be why Lowery will get some reps there. It will provide some roster flexibility.

Misspelled his name, its Pitouta. And yes I know about Taylor but I don't think he counts for the big guys up front, they were talking specifically about the front 3/4 men, not the linebackers.

Pitoitua is a defensive end, he is 6'8" and 310 pounds.

Are we talking about the same game here??

Pitoitua is a defensive end, he is 6'8" and 310 pounds.

Are we talking about the same game here??

He is talking about Pitoitua. He was replying to Sir Lance who mentioned Taylor as a DE. Taylor may play some DE, but he will likely be on the field in place of Pace, Thomas or Scott when he does, not Pitoitua or Devito.

He is talking about Pitoitua. He was replying to Sir Lance who mentioned Taylor as a DE. Taylor may play some DE, but he will likely be on the field in place of Pace, Thomas or Scott when he does, not Pitoitua or Devito.

Not in pass rush situations,

but we'll have to see

how JT

handles his role in this "D".

After I typed it I realized in rhymed, lol

Not in pass rush situations,

but we'll have to see

how JT

handles his role in this "D".

After I typed it I realized in rhymed, lol

Is that haiku?

In pass rush situations they will still probably have at least 3 "big" men on the field. Especially considering Gholston at DE. They are going to have to slide one 3-4 DE to DT or play Jenkins and Pouha in the middle. A typical 4-3 look will probably have 2 out of 3 of Jenkins-Pouha-Devito in the middle and Taylor with Gholston or Ellis at DE.

They will play around with it a hell of a lot more than that based on down and distance, but they aren't likely to be playing a base D with Taylor, Thomas, Pace and Scott/Harris on the field. IMO on "pass rush situations" the LBs will be coming off for DBs anyway. Especially when you consider how piss poor our LBs are in coverage.

Is that haiku?

In pass rush situations they will still probably have at least 3 "big" men on the field. Especially considering Gholston at DE. They are going to have to slide one 3-4 DE to DT or play Jenkins and Pouha in the middle. A typical 4-3 look will probably have 2 out of 3 of Jenkins-Pouha-Devito in the middle and Taylor with Gholston or Ellis at DE.

They will play around with it a hell of a lot more than that based on down and distance, but they aren't likely to be playing a base D with Taylor, Thomas, Pace and Scott/Harris on the field. IMO on "pass rush situations" the LBs will be coming off for DBs anyway. Especially when you consider how piss poor our LBs are in coverage.

Harris is decent in coverage, but yes I agree.

:cheers:

Archived