Jets’ McKnight Quiets Fitness Concerns

Jetfan13

CORTLAND, N.Y. – Last week, the Jets rookie running back Joe McKnight failed a fitness test before the team departed for training camp here. On Sunday, McKnight retook and passed the test and was ready for camp. McKnight, a fourth-round pick from U.S.C., had been plagued by conditioning concerns.

In April, after being drafted by the Jets, he struggled during rookie camp. He couldn’t finish the initial session, even dropping to his knees to vomit. McKnight, who was drafted with the pick acquired in the trade of Leon Washington, said his recent setback wasn’t a repeat of April’s camp experience.

“Everything went through my head,” McKnight said after finding out that he failed the fitness test. “I was thinking about rookie minicamp and what people’s perceptions of me were. I was just thinking about that the whole time. Once I found out I failed the test, I just really put it behind me and worked on passing it.”

During minicamp, McKnight said he dedicated himself to his fitness. He acknowledged that he wasn’t in ideal shape for rookie camp but said he rounded into shape for OTA sessions and then June’s minicamp. After minicamp, McKnight said he continued the conditioning routine to get himself reading for Cortland this August.

That’s why last week’s failed result was such a shock to him.

“It was just a bad day; I burnt myself out over break, just worked too hard over break and didn’t give myself enough time to rest,” McKnight said. “I did that so I could come into camp and be in shape. It was just a bad day for me.”

On the first day of training camp, McKnight looked trim and in shape and did not seem gassed at all. He participated fully in all drills in both the morning and afternoon sessions. He returned kicks and also got considerable reps with the second- and third-team offense during both passing and rushing drills.

McKnight’s only flub was a dropped ball during kickoff drills; he quickly picked it up and continued his run.

CORTLAND, N.Y. – Last week, the Jets rookie running back Joe McKnight failed a fitness test before the team departed for training camp here. On Sunday, McKnight retook and passed the test and was ready for camp. McKnight, a fourth-round pick from U.S.C., had been plagued by conditioning concerns.

In April, after being drafted by the Jets, he struggled during rookie camp. He couldn’t finish the initial session, even dropping to his knees to vomit. McKnight, who was drafted with the pick acquired in the trade of Leon Washington, said his recent setback wasn’t a repeat of April’s camp experience.

“Everything went through my head,” McKnight said after finding out that he failed the fitness test. “I was thinking about rookie minicamp and what people’s perceptions of me were. I was just thinking about that the whole time. Once I found out I failed the test, I just really put it behind me and worked on passing it.”

During minicamp, McKnight said he dedicated himself to his fitness. He acknowledged that he wasn’t in ideal shape for rookie camp but said he rounded into shape for OTA sessions and then June’s minicamp. After minicamp, McKnight said he continued the conditioning routine to get himself reading for Cortland this August.

That’s why last week’s failed result was such a shock to him.

“It was just a bad day; I burnt myself out over break, just worked too hard over break and didn’t give myself enough time to rest,” McKnight said. “I did that so I could come into camp and be in shape. It was just a bad day for me.”

On the first day of training camp, McKnight looked trim and in shape and did not seem gassed at all. He participated fully in all drills in both the morning and afternoon sessions. He returned kicks and also got considerable reps with the second- and third-team offense during both passing and rushing drills.

McKnight’s only flub was a dropped ball during kickoff drills; he quickly picked it up and continued his run.

So he worked too hard and was in too good a shape to pass the test? Makes sense to me :rolleyes:

Actually it does make sense.

He worked very hard a day or two before the test, his leg muscles were depleted of energy, no endurance. .

So he's a procrastinator who only cares about being in shape to pass a test so he doesn't get cut.

He'll make the team, but I dont expect anything from his career.

Archived