Cubs close to trading Derek Lee to braves

faba

By David Kaplan

CSNChicago.com

The Cubs are close to trading first baseman Derrek Lee to the Atlanta Braves, I have learned exclusively per my earlier post on ChicagoNow.com. The trade was first discussed on Sunday evening when the Braves called Cubs GM Jim Hendry and expressed interest after learning that one of their best offensive players, Chipper Jones was lost for the season with a knee injury.

"There's no reason to speculate," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said Wednesday morning at Wrigley Field. "We just have to see what happens. But I wouldn't put that much credence in rumors until something happens - or (doesn't). I have no idea.

"Any manager would love Derrek Lee in the lineup."

Through a Cubs spokesman, Lee declined to comment.

During Piniella's final weeks before heading off into retirement, the Cubs have already traded away popular veterans Ted Lilly, Ryan Theriot and Mike Fontenot - and could be on the verge of dealing one of the faces of the franchise.

"I'm part of this organization and I'm going to support what they want to do," Piniella said. "It's not easy, but it's part of the job."

As a 10-5 man (10 years in the major leagues and the last five with the same team) Lee has the right to reject a trade as he did when the Los Angeles Angeles of Anaheim tried to acquire him in late July. However, sources close to Lee tell us that he will approve a deal to Atlanta because the Braves are leading their division thus giving him a shot at winning another World Series ring. Lee was a member of the 2003 World Champion Florida Marlins who beat the New York Yankees in the Fall Classic.

The deal that would send Lee to the Braves has not yet been finalized but MLB sources characterize the trade as nearly done. One holdup has been Lee's balky back which has kept him sidelined the past couple of days. The trade is not expected to land the Cubs much in the way of talent because of Lee's subpar 2010 season but it will provide some salary relief as Lee makes 13 million dollars and the Braves are expected to assume most if not all of his remaining money.

Marlon Byrd in the offseason...in a dream world someone would take Soriano off our hands and open the door for one Carl Crawford.

Apparently we got one good prospect for Lee which is one more than I imagined.

Byrd is a guy I'd keep.

Would prob have to eat a good part of Soriano's salary to move him.

Byrd is a guy I'd keep.

Would prob have to eat a good part of Soriano's salary to move him.

Byrd's weird because he's probably the easiest contract to trade to a contender...he, like Lee, is a guy a team in the pennant race would love to have...also as it looks like we're turning over the roster it'd just be the better move for him...that said he's been a good player and good guy for hte team and he is under contract soooo...personally I'd try to get the best return I could get from any vet on the roster that a team wants.

Soriano might be one of the hardest to move contracts in baseball...kinda sucks but he's a strong bat and he's a good enough athlete to last.

Archived