Bill James had Barry Bonds as the 16th greatest player of all time....

SenorGato

1990-1999 Bonds.

Average offensive seaso in that time span per 162 games:

.302/.434/.602/1.036/39 HR/127 BB!/86 K/34 2B/117 RBI/39 SB/11 CS

Won't beat up anyone for roids anymore because we don't know the half of it. But the tragedy of Bonds is he was already well on his way to HoF status and getting into the argument about one of the best complete players and hitters ever. He didn't have to use, he was well on his way to being an all-time great. And he shat all over that.

Won't beat up anyone for roids anymore because we don't know the half of it. But the tragedy of Bonds is he was already well on his way to HoF status and getting into the argument about one of the best complete players and hitters ever. He didn't have to use, he was well on his way to being an all-time great. And he shat all over that.

That he did.

He went from a guy who was probably the best power/speed combo of all time (with or past Henderson) to a guy who put up Ruth/Williams type numbers.

Like you I can't knock a guy for steroids anymore...Ever since Alex Sanchez got suspended for it I've been skeptical of what they actually do for a player's God give talent (or GGT)...Bonds' GGT was off the charts.

That he did.

He went from a guy who was probably the best power/speed combo of all time (with or past Henderson) to a guy who put up Ruth/Williams type numbers.

Like you I can't knock a guy for steroids anymore...Ever since Alex Sanchez got suspended for it I've been skeptical of what they actually do for a player's God give talent (or GGT)...Bonds' GGT was off the charts.

Well it's pretty obvious it helped Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire. Bonds went from a great player to an immortal. Sosa went from JAG to a immortal, McGwire went from a great player in decline, to an immortal.

Well it's pretty obvious it helped Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire. Bonds went from a great player to an immortal. Sosa went from JAG to a immortal, McGwire went from a great player in decline, to an immortal.

Sosa was a major league regular from 21 on...he debuted at 20...he hit 32 HRs at age 24...he put up an .884 OPS at 25...and coming up was considered a legit 5 tool RF...JAG he was not.

After all that...if those guys mad those kind of leaps imagine all the little leaps that someone like a no name reliever would get or some 4th OFer who maybe woulda/coulda/shoulda topped out at AA...if a few guys can get asterisks then they might as well go balls out and not just asterisk the good ones...or just delete all those tainted seasons where players used PEDs of some kind...could easily go back to the 60's and maybe beyond...

Archived