Is it just me or has Mark S played like Chad P

MangoJet

I guess I just don't agree that Sanchez has the type of arm to make any throw. Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler--those guys make every throw. Mark can get a ball to the same spots on the field as those guys, but at nowhere near the speed he needs to to make it a worthwhile play. It's like, Randy Johnson and Greg Maddux could both throw a fastball, but if Maddux tried living off the fastball like Randy Johnson he'd get killed. Sanchez is a sinker/slider QB, not a fastball guy. When he gets into the mindset that he's going to take a five step drop and hold the ball and wait for Braylon to break open down the field, the offense turns to complete sh*t. He has to live off of the quick passes--the slants, the quick-hitters to Keller, the bootlegs--and he needs to do that forever. Sprinkle in the deep post every so often, or the bomb to Braylon, but they need to keep it to a minimum. Mark just doesn't have the tools to do it any other way, imo.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=104&position=P#pitchtype

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=60&position=P#pitchtype

All great pitchers work off of their fastball, which is their fastball, 95 MPH fastball or not. I think Sanchez's arm strength is a very overblown issue as he plays more games.

All great pitchers work off of their fastball, which is their fastball, 95 MPH fastball or not.

Yes, but being able to throw 98 MPH rather than 90-92 gives you the ability to have far fewer off-days. In Tom's analogy, things go great for Greg Maddux if the umpire is giving him the calls on the black AND he's got his control AND he is keeping the mistake pitches at a minimum.

That's a lot of variables. Give me the power pitcher like Randy Johnson, who, if he isn't getting the calls, isn't having a great day with his control and is prone to mistake pitches, he at least has the option to still try to blow it past people, which can negate a lot of his problems.

Now, Maddux ended up a Hall of Famer, which is good news for Sanchez. The bad news is that a guy like Maddux is the exception to the rule that, all things being equal, a power pitcher will be better than a control guy.

Sanchez will never have the GREAT arm and that will limit how high his ceiling is. How well he progresses in all phases of the game will determine how high he gets, but that height will probably not be in the elite category a la Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers.

Sanchez played a good game yesterday, most of his throws were right on. If Harris doesnt make an outstanding play on the ball, the throw goes for a nice gain, maybe six. He can make all the throws and he keeps getting better. This guy only played one year in college and was given the reigns as the starter. He never had the luxury of being a backup so he can learn a thing or two.

I don't see any problem with his arm. He doesn't have a monster arm like Elway or Favre, but I think it's fine. I think QB arm strength can be overblown. The head is the main problem. The problem I have with Sanchez is that when he doesn't make his first read he seems to rush and launch some real crap. He is good at extending plays are re-setting, but on standard plays, if he is throwing that slant to Santonio and the CB jumps the route, when he looks to his next read he either isn't picking it up right or isn't setting himself correctly before he throws.

I don't see any problem with his arm. He doesn't have a monster arm like Elway or Favre, but I think it's fine. I think QB arm strength can be overblown. The head is the main problem. The problem I have with Sanchez is that when he doesn't make his first read he seems to rush and launch some real crap. He is good at extending plays are re-setting, but on standard plays, if he is throwing that slant to Santonio and the CB jumps the route, when he looks to his next read he either isn't picking it up right or isn't setting himself correctly before he throws.

Dead on. A lot of times when he goes to the second read he throws a split second before he has to and he isn't set. The clock in his head is going too fast. This is what Phil Simms is always talking about by slowing things down. This "concern" about his arm strength is absurd. It is plenty strong enough. This is very fixable. He is in his second year after playing one full season in college. He just hasn't seen enough live bullets yet and isn't getting very good coaching.

Archived