NY Jets Team Awards

JiFtheOracle

Tomlinson wins Jets' Dennis Byrd most inspirational player award. Team MVP: David Harris. Ed Block Courage Award: Shaun Ellis.

Guess this was like news from 2 weeks ago but never saw it posted.

I find the Team MVP voting to be very interesting. Don't get me wrong, Harris is a great choice, but certainly not one of the big name guys you might expect to pull in that kind of award. If this isn't a loud "sign this guy" from the locker room to Mikey T I don't know what is.

I find the Team MVP voting to be very interesting. Don't get me wrong, Harris is a great choice, but certainly not one of the big name guys you might expect to pull in that kind of award. If this isn't a loud "sign this guy" from the locker room to Mikey T I don't know what is.

Yeah, its definitely not going to help Tanny in the war room, but I actually wasnt surprised. If you watched any of the sound fx stuff on the NFLN, its pretty clear that Harris is the leader of the D. He's actually pretty vocal on the field and is pretty firey. Much more so than I would have expected. It does make you wonder how much impact he has behind closed doors.

Interesting awards in view of the fact that all three of these players might not be on the team next year

Possibly. I think Harris gets resigned. LT has a 2 year deal. As much as I love Ellis and want him to retire a Jet...he is most likely to be gone. IMO

Yeah, its definitely not going to help Tanny in the war room, but I actually wasnt surprised. If you watched any of the sound fx stuff on the NFLN, its pretty clear that Harris is the leader of the D. He's actually pretty vocal on the field and is pretty firey. Much more so than I would have expected. It does make you wonder how much impact he has behind closed doors.

Possibly. I think Harris gets resigned. LT has a 2 year deal. As much as I love Ellis and want him to retire a Jet...he is most likely to be gone. IMO

Yeah, no NFL Network here.... stupid ******* Dolans.

I agree with you on Harris, I think in all likelihood he would've been locked up this summer along with Brick, Mangold and Revis if not for the CBA rules preventing it. And the Jets have made it clear since the summer that they have money set aside specifically for the purpose of a new Harris contract. The only thing that could be an issue is if he's really looking to get top shelf FA type money, considering how much the Jets already have sunk into LB and while they're also trying to keep both WRs and probably Cromartie as well. I'm still guessing it gets done though.

I also agree with you on Ellis, and I think it sucks because I'd like for him to stay here. It's going to come down to whether or not Ellis has realistically accepted the point where he's at in his career, and willing to get paid relative to that in order to stay with the Jets, or if he'd rather take a shot at getting one more payday, as I'm sure some team out there would be willing to given him a nice enough contract.

Yeah, no NFL Network here.... stupid ******* Dolans.

I agree with you on Harris, I think in all likelihood he would've been locked up this summer along with Brick, Mangold and Revis if not for the CBA rules preventing it. And the Jets have made it clear since the summer that they have money set aside specifically for the purpose of a new Harris contract. The only thing that could be an issue is if he's really looking to get top shelf FA type money, considering how much the Jets already have sunk into LB and while they're also trying to keep both WRs and probably Cromartie as well. I'm still guessing it gets done though.

I also agree with you on Ellis, and I think it sucks because I'd like for him to stay here. It's going to come down to whether or not Ellis has realistically accepted the point where he's at in his career, and willing to get paid relative to that in order to stay with the Jets, or if he'd rather take a shot at getting one more payday, as I'm sure some team out there would be willing to given him a nice enough contract.

I'm starting to wonder how much either of these guys could really demand. Ellis has clearly lost a step. Guy is still pretty good at the point of attack, but he cant chase the way he used to. But he's definitely a valuable players. Interesting to see what happens there.

Harris, didnt really have the best year statistically. He didnt even crack the top 35 for tackles or sacks among LB'ers. O INT's, and 1 FF. Those types of stats arent going to draw you a HUGE contract on the free market. His contract negotiations should be very interesting. I really dont see the Jets having a problem signing him, nor do I see him demanding a top notch LBer contract.

I'm starting to wonder how much either of these guys could really demand. Ellis has clearly lost a step. Guy is still pretty good at the point of attack, but he cant chase the way he used to. But he's definitely a valuable players. Interesting to see what happens there.

Harris, didnt really have the best year statistically. He didnt even crack the top 35 for tackles or sacks among LB'ers. O INT's, and 1 FF. Those types of stats arent going to draw you a HUGE contract on the free market. His contract negotiations should be very interesting. I really dont see the Jets having a problem signing him, nor do I see him demanding a top notch LBer contract.

Well that's the thing, I don't think either are in a position to be demanding huge dollars, but that doesn't mean they won't which could determine what happens. Harris would undoubtedly get a big money deal if he hit FA, even if it wouldn't be one of those blockbuster type deals. He's a damn good player and while he may not have the numbers or the rep, other NFL teams know it. That said, I just don't see Harris as the type of guy who's going to have such ridiculous demands that he'll outprice the Jets. Ellis I'm not so sure about, a lot of these guys have a tough time realizing when they've lost a step, and he was making quite a pretty penny from his last Jets deal, so I'm not sure he'll be willing to take the kind of cut in salary the Jets would likely be looking for.

Well that's the thing, I don't think either are in a position to be demanding huge dollars, but that doesn't mean they won't which could determine what happens. Harris would undoubtedly get a big money deal if he hit FA, even if it wouldn't be one of those blockbuster type deals. He's a damn good player and while he may not have the numbers or the rep, other NFL teams know it. That said, I just don't see Harris as the type of guy who's going to have such ridiculous demands that he'll outprice the Jets. Ellis I'm not so sure about, a lot of these guys have a tough time realizing when they've lost a step, and he was making quite a pretty penny from his last Jets deal, so I'm not sure he'll be willing to take the kind of cut in salary the Jets would likely be looking for.

Agreed. I think players like Ellis are looking for that final relatively mega pay day last contract before retiring. And though people know about Harris, I could see the contracts that are offered being very incentive latent considering his lack of statistical production, which could heavily favor the Jets in negotiations.

Honestly though, I'm not really an expert on the whole contract value's and what not, so I really dont know. Love to get a Jason or Sperm opinion no this matter. Wonder if there are similar past examples around the league and how they panned out?

Harris as Team MVP?

Just not seeing it.

Santonio Holmes.

A WR who was suspended for the first 1/4 of the season and then, while playing pretty well, has had some serious drop/fumble issues? I'm not buying it. Harris is a good choice, this is very much a team that hasn't really had any single player that's stepped out from the pack over the course of the entire season and clearly be the biggest impact player on the team, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If anything, that's only compounded by the fact that most of the Jets best players this season have also been amongst their most quiet and least hyped, like Harris and Brick.

any word on if they still give out the martin, lyons and clifton awards ?

is the team mvp the same thing as the martin ?

Curtis Martin Team MVP — LB David Harris

Dennis Byrd Award — RB LaDainian Tomlinson

Ed Block Courage Award — DE Shaun Ellis

Marty Lyons Award — WR/KR Brad Smith

Kyle Clifton Award — DT Mike DeVito

Walter Payton Award — FB Tony Richardson

Archived