Winning football, losing football

Boozer76

Aren't you guilty of this yourself earlier in the thread?

This thread is confusing. I don't think the Herm comparisons are justified either way, and there are responses from those saying it was unHerm-like saying that the situations are very different. Um, the two coaches shouldn't be compared then. Unless I'm missing something?

The difference is the Jets offense didnt do sh*t all game in Pitt in 2005. they scored all their points on a pick 6 and a punt return. they would have won the game if they had just scored one td on offense. they continuously rammed curtis into a stacked line on 1st and 2nd down in that game.

This.

Frankly, the Jets ****ed up royally on the previous possession by not running the clock out and opting for a homerun attempt to Braylon. Indy should never have gotten the ball back, Vinatieri should have never been given the chance to give them a lead, and frankly... we were lucky to make a couple plays and have Caldwell call the timeout to offset Rex/Schotty handling the last 4 minutes poorly.

I was screaming about throwing the bomb as well. But two things:

1. If Sanchez throws a decent pass that is a TD and game over.

2. If Sanchez throws a short pass and it is dropped then everyone is screaming that Rex should have run the ball and burn clock/TO's.

It's a no win situation really. They played for the win, and I really can't blame them for that. Also, IMO Folk makes a 50 yard FG in the dome. FWIW, he said himself that he thought the game winner would have been good from 50.

The reason Manning was livid was because that timeout gave the Jets a chance to catch their breath. If the Jets are forced to use their own timeout or run a play, the pressure is on them to execute, or get a decent play and get the FG team out there, may be from a longer spot, with the clock running. Without that break, it's less likely they suceed. Essentially Jim Caldwell is Herman Edwards, trying to show everyone what a smart guy he is, while in reality he totally effed it up for his own team. May be the Jets succeed anyway, but Caldwell's timeout was of immense help to the Jets.

Archived