Browns' Rob Ryan to interview for Cowboys' DC job

Jetfan13

The Dallas Morning News reports Rob Ryan, apparently no longer wanted in Cleveland , will interview with the Dallas Cowboys for their defensive-coordinator opening, an NFL source said tonight.

Ryan has one year remaining on his contract with the Browns, but he has not been seen at the team's complex since the end of the season. He was conspicious by his absence when new head coach Pat Shurmur was introduced today.

You think? What if Rob doesn't do such a phenomenal job? There is NO firing him.

They seem like brothers who get along well, but mixing personal stuff with business stuff is really asking for failure.

I can't imagine the Jets would ever hire Rex's brother to work under Rex.

So true. I work for my brother. Very taxing on our relationship.

Wow, I believe you. Hey, I'm sure there are times when it's great. But the times it's not so great must be really not-great, and that goes both ways.

The only one way I could see Rob working for Rex is if he ended up in a situation where he didn't end up with a job elsewhere in the NFL, and even then he'd probably be brought in for some sort of "consulting" role, with the understanding he'd move on once another opportunity presented itself. I really don't see that happening, but I could certainly understand Rex giving his brother a job if he needed it and keeping him active in the NFL, but that's about it.

Then again, I guess you never know with that family. Both Rex and Rob worked on Buddy's staff when he was a head coach. While it's a little different, it carries with it pretty much all of the same issues. I still wouldn't see it happening, but that just popped in my mind as a rather interesting fact.

Rex and Rob went to blows all the time when they were kids, through they did it while laughing a lot of the time. I don't know how well they'd do working together and doubt we'll ever find out. Rob is going to end up a Head Coach in this league soon; becoming the Dallas DC is a step-up in my view.

I think Rob out here would work fine. I can't imagine it being a problem because they still have their daddy and mommy around, and both of their parents would boot either or for sucking on the job. There's a lot of pride involved in a lot of high achieving families, and this one is no different. Buddy would storm out there and fire Rob personally if he had to, don't worry about that.

But I don't see it happening unless Rob can't land a job, and there's no way he can't. He will be an HC in this league sooner rather than later.

Archived