Stafon Johnson

Falcon63

I can't believe this POS is suing his spotter. I mean, it was a tragic accident, and people were there by his side supporting him and wishing him a full recovery. He comes back and tries to sue them? To me, he is a feel-good, comeback story that I liked, but now, I hate this POS.

[/rant]

Falcon please shut up. This thread makes no sense. You didnt nearly die because some imbecile can't hold on to a ****in' bar.

Obviously you've never lifted weights before. You're supposed to help the lifter lift the bar off of the rack, then when the spotter let's go, then you start your lift. The spotter's hands aren't supposed to be touching the bar the whole time, because that would nullify the lift.

I wasn't there, but I can tell you exactly what happened. He helped him lift it off the bar, and the second the coach let go of it, instead of waiting an extra beat to start your lift (like you're supposed to), he just tried to do it too quick, and it was too much for him.

Obviously you've never lifted weights before. You're supposed to help the lifter lift the bar off of the rack, then when the spotter let's go, then you start your lift. The spotter's hands aren't supposed to be touching the bar the whole time, because that would nullify the lift.

I wasn't there, but I can tell you exactly what happened. He helped him lift it off the bar, and the second the coach let go of it, instead of waiting an extra beat to start your lift (like you're supposed to), he just tried to do it too quick, and it was too much for him.

None of what you say applies since the SPOTTER FAILED AT DOING HIS JOB WHICH ALMOST COST DUDE HIS LIFE!!!!!!!!! It doesnt matter how much you preach technique...the spotter didnt do it right. Stafon Johnson is lucky to be alive.

None of what you say applies since the SPOTTER FAILED AT DOING HIS JOB WHICH ALMOST COST DUDE HIS LIFE!!!!!!!!! It doesnt matter how much you preach technique...the spotter didnt do it right. Stafon Johnson is lucky to be alive.

How is the spotter supposed to react that fast? I mean, it was 275 pounds. If it slipped out of his hands, it's not like it floated in the air for a second before dropping. It would take like a quarter of a second to drop. If there was side spotters, this never would've happened.....Like, for instance, is this video (don't watch if you're squeamish), is this the spotter's fault? Nope. Same thing happened to Stafon I can guarantee you.

Free weights with the exception of dumbbells should be banned in high school and college weight rooms. Ive seen some guys doing some pretty stupid stuff with them. I blame the individual who decides to lift way more than he can handle not the spotter.

And I agree with this. I've seen people try ridiculous amounts and fail miserably. However, also maybe with squat racks as well. Good squat racks have the safety bars just past 90 degrees, so if you fall, it won't crush you.

Freak accidens happen every day. This was just one of those things....now you want to ban free weights in colleges like USC? For real? The p-word-ification of America continues.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, since Stafon's NFL will be short lived (wasn't he waived, signed, put on IR this year after being picked up as an FA?) I'd sue and try to make some money that way too if I were him, I guess. The kid is from Compton, his NFL career will probably amount to nadda, I doubt he graduated. Let him try to put some real money in his pocket. I mean, if you want to ban free weights, you may as well jump onboard this lawsuit too. Take the easy way out everyone! Yes, there should be no accountability!

Free weights with the exception of dumbbells should be banned in high school and college weight rooms. Ive seen some guys doing some pretty stupid stuff with them. I blame the individual who decides to lift way more than he can handle not the spotter.

NO!! Just banned the dumbells and let everyone who knows what the **** they are doing go in and train.

Freak accidens happen every day. This was just one of those things....now you want to ban free weights in colleges like USC? For real? The p-word-ification of America continues.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, since Stafon's NFL will be short lived (wasn't he waived, signed, put on IR this year after being picked up as an FA?) I'd sue and try to make some money that way too if I were him, I guess. The kid is from Compton, his NFL career will probably amount to nadda, I doubt he graduated. Let him try to put some real money in his pocket. I mean, if you want to ban free weights, you may as well jump onboard this lawsuit too. Take the easy way out everyone! Yes, there should be no accountability!

No doubt. let's just ban people leaving their houses too. ******* gay. I train 2 15 year old knuckleheads 3-4 days a week and when their in the weight room is the least time i have to worry about them. Freak sh*t happens and people not being properly trained or not understanding their limits make it more likely. Bunch of pussies.

How is the spotter supposed to react that fast? I mean, it was 275 pounds. If it slipped out of his hands, it's not like it floated in the air for a second before dropping. It would take like a quarter of a second to drop. If there was side spotters, this never would've happened.....Like, for instance, is this video (don't watch if you're squeamish), is this the spotter's fault? Nope. Same thing happened to Stafon I can guarantee you.

No spotter can help someone who lets go of the bar. Thats just a dumb example. The kid on the bench should have never been under that weight. He was not ready for that lift. The first push back fail should have been a big clue. Take a couple plates off and do some reps for technique before you try to play conan cupcake.

Don't you have a spotter so that heavy bars don't fall on your neck and nearly kill you?

No you don;t. spotter is their to help you if you struggle on the lift. If you fail quickly and completely not much anyone can do. If you show no resistnace to the wight the spotter can;t help you. Thats why we have squat racks, Smith Machins and my all time favorite the monlift machine. Spotting someone who is at 100% fail is almost impossible. you are not in ppsition to lift all the weight,they are. Tuff call, have to see it. Maybe the spotter looked away but still, on a complete fail with no equipment support, someone will get hurt.

No spotter can help someone who lets go of the bar. Thats just a dumb example. The kid on the bench should have never been under that weight. He was not ready for that lift. The first push back fail should have been a big clue. Take a couple plates off and do some reps for technique before you try to play conan cupcake.

He hit 295 about 5 minutes before. He had video to prove it. How do we know Stafon didn't do the exact same thing?

He got hurt and put on IR like Garb said, and his NFL career will be short-lived, so he wants money.

As for the other people, while I do think that people are becoming p*ssies, kids, even if taight the right technique, don't have common sense and get hurt doing the stupidest things. Although, I went to HS in South FL, so yeah....

No you don;t. spotter is their to help you if you struggle on the lift. If you fail quickly and completely not much anyone can do. If you show no resistnace to the wight the spotter can;t help you. Thats why we have squat racks, Smith Machins and my all time favorite the monlift machine. Spotting someone who is at 100% fail is almost impossible. you are not in ppsition to lift all the weight,they are. Tuff call, have to see it. Maybe the spotter looked away but still, on a complete fail with no equipment support, someone will get hurt.

That's EXACTLY my point. +1 for someone finally getting it.

Have any of you guys even read the details of the lawsuit? He's claiming the coach wasn't paying attention and knocked the bar out of his hands. That's most certainly negligence if the allegations are true.

Have any of you guys even read the details of the lawsuit? He's claiming the coach wasn't paying attention and knocked the bar out of his hands. That's most certainly negligence if the allegations are true.

I HIGHLY doubt a coach of 19 years (19 years, right?) would ever knock the bar out of a player's hands. I don't even see how the coach would...if the coach gave him a lift-off, and knocked the bar out of his hands (which I highly doubt), the bar would've hit his chest. Only way it could hit his neck is if his wrists gave out, or if he dropped it himself.

It's not a coincidence that this comes so late. Once he realized his NFL career wouldn't be long, he needed the money.

I HIGHLY doubt a coach of 19 years (19 years, right?) would ever knock the bar out of a player's hands. I don't even see how the coach would...if the coach gave him a lift-off, and knocked the bar out of his hands (which I highly doubt), the bar would've hit his chest. Only way it could hit his neck is if his wrists gave out, or if he dropped it himself.

Well that's it Watson, you've cracked the case. It's a shame his lawyer didn't account for any of this. Could have save himself a TON of time I tell ya.

Your absolutley right. I always lift heavy and the only time the spotter touches the bar is when i'm getting off the rack then i always tell him don't touch the ******* bar until my failure reps. Once the bar slips out of your hands your finished...no spotter is catching 275. This kid is a scumbag.

guy in the video is an idiot for using an open thumb grip...he deserved it.

Your right absolutley right. I always lift heavy and the only time the spotter touches the bar is when i'm getting off the rack then i always tell him don't touch the ******* bar until my failure reps. Once the bar slips out of your hands your finished...no spotter is catching 275. This kid is a scumbag.

Except this isn't what he's claiming to have happened. The only confusing part to me is that he's claiming that it was when his coach was putting the bar in his hands, which I've never seen done before because I've never seen anyone do it any other way than securing their grip before the bar's off the rack. However it's not completely unbelievable, though 275 does seem like a bit much for a spotter to be placing a bar at that angle.

Except this isn't what he's claiming to have happened. The only confusing part to me is that he's claiming that it was when his coach was putting the bar in his hands, which I've never seen done before because I've never seen anyone do it any other way than securing their grip before the bar's off the rack. However it's not completely unbelievable, though 275 does seem like a bit much for a spotter to be placing a bar at that angle.

Putting the bar in his hands? WTF?

Thats how i've always done it and never seen it done another way lol When training with heavy weight first thing i get is my grip, a 3 count with my spotter and then we both lift and then person training goes to work from there. It's much, much more likey that a scenario like the video Falcon posted is what happen to Staffon.

Thats how i've always done it and never seen it done another way lol It's much, much more likey that a scenario like the video Falcon posted is what happen to Staffon.

I'm not sure. To tell you the truth it's USC, and I've seen equipment in upper end training facilities that boggled the crap out of me when I saw it. I'm not even going to begin to figure out who's right until you have...you know, some actual facts present? But no, no, why wait for that. No need to, let's just rush to judgment on the interwebz.

I'm not sure. To tell you the truth it's USC, and I've seen equipment in upper end training facilities that boggled the crap out of me when I saw it. I'm not even going to begin to figure out who's right until you have...you know, some actual facts present? But no, no, why wait for that. No need to, let's just rush to judgment on the interwebz.

LOL your right, were jumping the gun. Who knows what happen.

But the point is, it was an accident. I HIGHLY doubt it was due to a coach's negligence. To go through so much and have so much support from USC, the players, the coaches, the school as a whole, and football fans everywhere, how can he just come back 16 months later and try to ruin this coach? It was an ACCIDENT! I absolutely HATE how sue-happy America has become!

But the point is, it was an accident. I HIGHLY doubt it was due to a coach's negligence. To go through so much and have so much support from USC, the players, the coaches, the school as a whole, and football fans everywhere, how can he just come back 16 months later and try to ruin this coach? It was an ACCIDENT! I absolutely HATE how sue-happy America has become!

Gotcha. So you're upset that even though USC may have been negligent and cost him a career, they supported him in getting better, so they shouldn't be held accountable. Welcome to the real world kid. Hugs and kisses don't excuse civil liability. Sorry.

Archived