10 worst owners in N.Y. sports . . . ~ ~ ~

kelly

All great points, Booz, and that last part is, indeed, a horrifying scenario. Perhaps I'm grading Wood a little harshly for his noobness. I just haven't been overly impressed with the way he's handled the fans, as well as the consistently ham-fisted way he portrays himself in the media. It's exciting that the team has found recent success, but it's not like the guy has been a genius savant here. He got tooled by Silver on the WSS, he hired Herm and Bradway, then cried poverty to get financing for the New Giants Stadium, after which he initiated the whole Jets side of the PSL debacle which will continue for the foreseeable future. He's just kind of a dink. Thank God he's a dink with daddy's money.

He definitely comes off a bit aloof and geeky. He's not the stoic old guy (Mara, Rooney) or young/aging hipster (Snyder, the dude who owns ATL) that you'd typically like to see owning a sports team. The Hderm/Bradway debacle falls a bit on his noobness, and a bit on Parcells believe it or not. Remember it was Parcells who strongly recommended Bradway. As for Herm, I strongly believe Woody was taken advantage of and strong armed a little into that move by Tagliabue. Give the guy credit though, he learns from his mistakes quickly. Marvin Lewis was my first choice that year and the Bengals still haven't learned their lesson, so at least Woody knew when to cut bait and move on. The guy has not been perfect by any means and he's learning on the fly but he's done a heck of a job thus far.

As for the stadium debacle, he fought an impossible battle pretty damn valiantly. His problem was two-fold: Pataki and Bloomberg were so adamantly on his side that they damn near convinved him he might actually get the WSS, and Jay Cross was his lead guy on the project. Jay Cross falls solely on his shoulders. Terrible decision on Woody's part. But even Donald Trump wasn't getting that deal through once Silver pulled the 9/11 card. Also funny how the Dolan's outbid Woody on the WSS property, only to pull back their offer once the deal fell through for the Jets. I stand by my opinion on Queens though. Logistically, it's a nightmare to share a stadium with the Mets. There's no tailgating, which is mildly acceptable if you're stadium is in the entertainment mecca of the world in Manhattan, but not in Queens. Secondly, the Jets need to convince players wives and family to live in the area of the stadium. While we may not see it as lifetime locals who are used to it, people from middle and southern America want not part of being trapped out on the tip of an island where it takes hours through ridiculous traffic to get back to the mainland. NJ is just more appealing to a wider variety of people and makes it alot easier on the recruiting process for FA's. I don't understand how the hell 1.8 billion dollars could have resulted in such an ugly building though. I blame the Mara's for that :P

I loved reading about #4. I worked for Computer Associates right out of college, and it was such a piss-poorly run business it wasn't even funny. Wang and his buddy Kumar ran it and it was no surprise to me to read about the fraud charges against Kumar. If I go to a convention and see one of their booths, I STILL give the people running it a piece of my mind just for fun. I couldn't be happier that the Islanders sucked under them.

If not for Stepien being a trailblazer in Association incompetence, there would almost certainly have been a "Dolan Rule" created for the same purpose.

Neither one believed in stipulating that future picks be protected either, though in Stepien's defense, this practice wasn't commonplace back then. Regardless, LaMarcus Aldridge and Joakim Noah are going to have to put together some resumes for Dolan to lose out to Stepien, the guy who traded the picks that turned into these guys:

1982 - James Worthy, 1st overall

1983 - Derek Harper, 11th overall

1984 - Sam Perkins, 4th overall

1985 - Detlef Schrempf, 8th overall

1986 - Roy Tarpley, 7th overall (cocaine saved this one from being too bad, as it ruined almost the whole 1st Rd that year)

1986 - Dennis Rodman, 27th overall

Eh. They need a 2 guard to compete for a championship.

All great points, Booz, and that last part is, indeed, a horrifying scenario. Perhaps I'm grading Wood a little harshly for his noobness. I just haven't been overly impressed with the way he's handled the fans, as well as the consistently ham-fisted way he portrays himself in the media. It's exciting that the team has found recent success, but it's not like the guy has been a genius savant here. He got tooled by Silver on the WSS, he hired Herm and Bradway, then cried poverty to get financing for the New Giants Stadium, after which he initiated the whole Jets side of the PSL debacle which will continue for the foreseeable future. He's just kind of a dink. Thank God he's a dink with daddy's money.

Are you just making sh*t up in your head Tom? This never happened.

Think Wang get a bad rap.He would write the check tomorrow to rebuild his arena and a huge beautiful complex next to it. But Nassau and Hempstead refuse to give him clearance.

Wang does get a bad rap. He isnt even near the worst owner for the Isles.

Spano was a joke. Gluckstern and Milstein was horrendous. They flew Southwest when these jokers were owners!

Archived