NYJETS to impose furloughs

visajets

Jets will impose furloughs if there is NFL work stoppage, report says

Published: Monday, February 21, 2011, 10:01 AM Updated: Monday, February 21, 2011, 10:38 AM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerJets football operations employees would be safe for now, but business side employees would begin taking monthly furloughs in event of lockout.

If there is no new collective bargaining agreement by March 4, and a work stoppage thus begins, the Jets will impose furloughs among employees in business operations, according to a report in the Sports Business Journal.

Business side employees would be required to take one week of unpaid leave each month without a new labor deal, according to the article, which attributes Jets executive VP of business operations Matt Higgins. Football operations employees would be exempt until at least April's draft, the article said.

If a new labor agreement is reached before the season is scheduled to begin, and no games are missed, the report also said the Jets plan to reimburse these employees for their weeks on furlough. Until that point, furloughed employees would be able to apply for unemployment during their missed time.

The NFL and NFL Players Association are meeting for the fourth straight day today with a federal mediator in Washington, D.C., in an effort to reach a new agreement.

The Jets previously furloughed employees on the business side in the summer of 2009, when employees in the marketing, media relations, finance and business operations departments were asked to take two weeks of unpaid leave. Those furloughs were a measure to avoid cutting jobs as the economy slumped.

This is not shocking but really disappointing to read. I don't know how the Jets revenue breaks down but wouldn't they be saving money before they actually lost money?

I am not sure what hapens to season ticket renewals. I had assumed they would be billing us regardless. But does no CBA make them slow down the renewal invoice process? If so then the Jets would be losing revenue soon.

I think it is complete nonsense.. the Jets have become a cash cow and now are trying to pinch pennies? not buying it at all..

I agree these people have families,bills and mortgages. The fact they charge $25.00 for a t-shirt in the NYJETS store and at the stadium is ridiculous. When they were instituting PSLs they didnt seem to care either about people and their money. Now its all about them saving a buck. Screw you Woody. :angry:

This is not our Daddy's America, guys.

Loyalty is no longer a driving consideration for corporations when it comes to the "bottom line".

It's no different than in any other business today, except in most other businesses, they skip furloughs and go immediately to terminations.

Welcome to Corporate USA, folks.

Archived