JETS preseason schedule released

visajets

Jets open preseason at Houston on Monday Night Football

Published: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 4:15 PM Updated: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 5:18 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

John O'Boyle/The Star-LedgerQB Mark Sanchez and the Jets open their preseason on Monday Night Football at Houston.

The Jets will begin their preseason at Houston on Monday Night Football on Aug. 15 -- provided the NFL's work stoppage has been resolved by that point.

The league released its preseason schedule this afternoon, despite its month-long lockout stemming from a breakdown in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players' union.

The Jets, who played five primetime regular-season games last year, will start this preseason back on national TV at 8 p.m., with the game broadcast on ESPN and called by the team of Mike Tirico, Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski.

The Jets then play the rest of their preseason at New Meadowlands Stadium: hosting Cincinnati for their second preseason game, at the cross-town Giants in the third week and hosting Philadelphia to close out the preseason. Dates and times are TBD.

The Jets also opened their preseason on Monday Night Football last season, playing the Giants in the first NFL game at the teams' shared new home venue. The Jets will face both the Giants and the Eagles again in the regular season.

On Tuesday the National Football League released the 2011 preseason schedule.  Assuming that there is a season, here is the New York Jets schedule.

August 15th- @ Houston Texans   (Monday Night Football)

August 20th- Cincinnati Bengals

August 27th- @ NY Giants

September 1st- Philadelphia Eagles

Not exactly an ideal home schedule for the Jets season ticket holders as the last preseason game is basically a wash with none of the 1st stringers even dressing for the game.

di</img>di</img>

6fh8mfcPSvk

View the full article

One of the biggest ripoff's in NFL- paying full money for meaningless pre season games as part of season tickets.

In theory actually it would be a good deal compared to other industries...

It costs an NFL team more to have a pre-season game... more players on payroll... less concession sales (by a LOT I am sure)... etc

In most cases that extra cost is passed on to the customer, not the other way around like most say they want from the NFL.

I still hate paying for them though...

In theory actually it would be a good deal compared to other industries...

It costs an NFL team more to have a pre-season game... more players on payroll... less concession sales (by a LOT I am sure)... etc

In most cases that extra cost is passed on to the customer, not the other way around like most say they want from the NFL.

I still hate paying for them though...

You have outdone yourself here. How you can possibly spin the rip off of full price pre-season tickets into a good deal is mind boggling. My tix are $250 a pair (plus $25 parking) to see a bunch of train conductors and day laborers wearing Jets jersey's trying to play football. The reason that concessions and such are much lower is because nobody wants to go to these games, yet amazingly they are somehow sold out.

You have outdone yourself here. How you can possibly spin the rip off of full price pre-season tickets into a good deal is mind boggling. My tix are $250 a pair (plus $25 parking) to see a bunch of train conductors and day laborers wearing Jets jersey's trying to play football. The reason that concessions and such are much lower is because nobody wants to go to these games, yet amazingly they are somehow sold out.

Lets say NFL teams stop charging for pre-season games... how do you suggest they recoup that income?

You can act like we the fans should be a charity case... but lets be real about it... we buy tickets from a business with bottom line... not a charity with a heart.

Lets say NFL teams stop charging for pre-season games... how do you suggest they recoup that income?

You can act like we the fans should be a charity case... but lets be real about it... we buy tickets from a business with bottom line... not a charity with a heart.

You are one step away from holding a charity bake sale to feed poor Woody Johnson's family. A Woodython.

You are one step away from holding a charity bake sale to feed poor Woody Johnson's family. A Woodython.

Not at all, the dude makes crazy $$$ off of me. Not with a gun to my head though.

I just cannot understand how all of you expect them to trim the bottom line for you... what companies do you work for? In what world do you live in?

I understand I am being a thick headed republican here.. I am not blind to that but seriously I am having a hard time understanding where you are coming from.

Pre season football is a joke. Its nothing more than a practice session against another team with uniforms and fans. The concessions are the same price and so is the parking for a regular season football game. I have said enough is enough and many others have joined me.

Not at all, the dude makes crazy $$$ off of me. Not with a gun to my head though.

I just cannot understand how all of you expect them to trim the bottom line for you... what companies do you work for? In what world do you live in?

I understand I am being a thick headed republican here.. I am not blind to that but seriously I am having a hard time understanding where you are coming from.

Forcing people to pay a premium price for an inferior product--simply for the right to watch better games that are actually worth the premium later is akin to extortion. You want to see the good football?...well then you must pay for the bad football at the same price--only then will you be allowed to pay for the right (PSL) to pay for the bad games that will allow you see the good games. Oh. and even though there may not be any football at all this year, we insist you pay up-front. Maybe fleecing the public is fair game...but its a douche move and people have the right to complain about it while signing their checks.

Forcing people to pay a premium price for an inferior product--simply for the right to watch better games that are actually worth the premium later is akin to extortion. You want to see the good football?...well then you must pay for the bad football at the same price--only then will you be allowed to pay for the right (PSL) to pay for the bad games that will allow you see the good games. Oh. and even though there may not be any football at all this year, we insist you pay up-front. Maybe fleecing the public is fair game...but its a douche move and people have the right to complain about it while signing their checks.

Wrong.

When you go to Costco and you want Chicken noodle soup... they always package in a bunch of crappy soup you don't want. Is that "akin to extortion"?

I have to pay a "PSL" at Costco too...

You want to see football? You can do so with or without Pre-season, or PSLs, or parking. Nobody is stopping you from going on Stubhub.

Wrong.

When you go to Costco and you want Chicken noodle soup... they always package in a bunch of crappy soup you don't want. Is that "akin to extortion"?

I have to pay a "PSL" at Costco too...

You want to see football? You can do so with or without Pre-season, or PSLs, or parking. Nobody is stopping you from going on Stubhub.

Not wrong. I can choose not to buy the soup. I can choose to buy cereal, or bourbon, or a television at Costco...at a discount...which makes joining beneficial to me. The NY Jets season ticket holder is offered one product. That product was once offered without PSL's. It was once offered without parking passes or parking restrictions. It was once affordable to most lay-persons who gave their loyalty and money (in the form of tix $, apparel $, concession $, etc.). Those fans who couldn't buy Tix due to a decade-long waitlist offered their TV viewership which in turn raised the value of the product to the major TV networks resulting in multi-million dollar profits. A team can only bilk its fanbase so far until there is a backlash. That backlash has already begun in the form of resentment and dissapointment on the part of the fans, who, like me, were raised rooting for the Jets and who continued to root for them year after dissapointing year for decades. The backlash is further manifesting in that after years of holding an extensive waitlist, we nearly had blackout games last year. Understanding it is a business to the team owner doesn't make it ok with the fan who gains nothing from the business end, and wants nothing more than to feel good about rooting on his/her team. Again, not saying its illegal, just a crappy thing to do.

Not wrong. I can choose not to buy the soup. I can choose to buy cereal, or bourbon, or a television at Costco...at a discount...which makes joining beneficial to me. The NY Jets season ticket holder is offered one product. That product was once offered without PSL's. It was once offered without parking passes or parking restrictions. It was once affordable to most lay-persons who gave their loyalty and money (in the form of tix $, apparel $, concession $, etc.). Those fans who couldn't buy Tix due to a decade-long waitlist offered their TV viewership which in turn raised the value of the product to the major TV networks resulting in multi-million dollar profits. A team can only bilk its fanbase so far until there is a backlash. That backlash has already begun in the form of resentment and dissapointment on the part of the fans, who, like me, were raised rooting for the Jets and who continued to root for them year after dissapointing year for decades. The backlash is further manifesting in that after years of holding an extensive waitlist, we nearly had blackout games last year. Understanding it is a business to the team owner doesn't make it ok with the fan who gains nothing from the business end, and wants nothing more than to feel good about rooting on his/her team. Again, not saying its illegal, just a crappy thing to do.

All of this crying... and there was no blackouts... the games were electrifying... and the JETS made money...

Seems like the only person losing is the one whining and crying about nothing, you.

All of this crying... and there was no blackouts... the games were electrifying... and the JETS made money...

Seems like the only person losing is the one whining and crying about nothing, you.

With all due respect. I don't believe I'm the only one expressing my dissapointment with the recent choices of the Jets organization. In fact, it seems you're in the minority when it comes to your opinion. I don't begrudge you that opinion, though it seems you've chosen to further our debate by flicking boogers at me. As for the blackouts..you're correct. There were no blackouts. Just as there is no longer a waitlist. Funny thing is...I am a ticket holder. MAny who wanted to be were unable or unwilling to purchase them. And they have every right to express their dissapointment, just as I have. Perhaps you'd like to call me a dirty name now?

With all due respect. I don't believe I'm the only one expressing my dissapointment with the recent choices of the Jets organization. In fact, it seems you're in the minority when it comes to your opinion. I don't begrudge you that opinion, though it seems you've chosen to further our debate by flicking boogers at me. As for the blackouts..you're correct. There were no blackouts. Just as there is no longer a waitlist. Funny thing is...I am a ticket holder. MAny who wanted to be were unable or unwilling to purchase them. And they have every right to express their dissapointment, just as I have. Perhaps you'd like to call me a dirty name now?

There is no longer a waitlist because those waiting got their chance when the old timers bailed out. Cruel world yes, but don't worry there is already demand for hot seats and every year demand will grow for all seats again...

There is no longer a waitlist because those waiting got their chance when the old timers bailed out. Cruel world yes, but don't worry there is already demand for hot seats and every year demand will grow for all seats again...

old timers? I got news for you buddy. Its fools like you who will continue to pay and deserve whatever you get. I hope they start charging to use the restrooms at the stadium. As P.T Barnum once said "theres a sucker born every minute". Ask your dad who he was.

old timers? I got news for you buddy. Its fools like you who will continue to pay and deserve whatever you get. I hope they start charging to use the restrooms at the stadium. As P.T Barnum once said "theres a sucker born every minute". Ask your dad who he was.

I owned a store right in "PT Barnum Square" right down the road from his childhood home... trust me I know who he is.

I love what I get, and when they play at home in the playoffs this year I will love it even more. I am just glad there are no more grumpy old men reading the news paper telling me to sit down because they have nothing better to do on a Sunday... thank god Woody priced them out of the Stadium.

I am not a sucker, I knowingly spend stupid amounts of money on the JETS because I choose to. If that drives you crazy... then you simply have your own issues you need to figure out.

Charity case, where do you come up with this stuff?? And why should I give a rat's a$$ where they recoup the income from? I paid $8k for a pair of PSL's and (with the latest price increase) $2,500 plus $250 for parking for the 2011 tickets. Of that $2,750, $550, or 20% goes towards games that I will not attend because 1) they mean nothing and 2)the players competing in the game will be ex-players in another week. I donate those tickets to charity, so exactly is the charity case here? The owners, that's who, since they are getting money for providing basically nothing in return.

Imagine you enjoy eating 8 times per year at a very fancy restaurant with high prices and a very good chef. in order to get a reservation however, you must eat 2 more times at the same prices, but the dishwasher is cooking the meal. You would tell the restaurant to stick it up their a$$, or at the very least you would think you were being extorted. But the restaurant still has to pay rent, whaaa, the electric bill, whaaa, the waiters, whaa. Why is that the customers problem, just give them what they are paying for without adding the Gambino tax. In any other industry there would be a RICO investigation.

Charity case, where do you come up with this stuff?? And why should I give a rat's a$ where they recoup the income from? I paid $8k for a pair of PSL's and (with the latest price increase) $2,500 plus $250 for parking for the 2011 tickets. Of that $2,750, $550, or 20% goes towards games that I will not attend because 1) they mean nothing and 2)the players competing in the game will be ex-players in another week. I donate those tickets to charity, so exactly is the charity case here? The owners, that's who, since they are getting money for providing basically nothing in return.

Imagine you enjoy eating 8 times per year at a very fancy restaurant with high prices and a very good chef. in order to get a reservation however, you must eat 2 more times at the same prices, but the dishwasher is cooking the meal. You would tell the restaurant to stick it up their a$, or at the very least you would think you were being extorted. But the restaurant still has to pay rent, whaaa, the electric bill, whaaa, the waiters, whaa. Why is that the customers problem, just give them what they are paying for without adding the Gambino tax. In any other industry there would be a RICO investigation.

Do you work for a non profit company? You mind sure works like you do.

Nobody forces you to give away those tickets, you could go and enjoy yourself. If you do not enjoy watching potential future JETS play their hearts out... that is not the NFL's fault. They never made you a promise when you bought the tickets in regards to the on the field product.

There is no "Gambino" tax... even with your silly restaurant example... simply you are gaining access to something you want by purchasing a package deal.

Not everything in life is broken down and catered to fit your exact consumer wants and needs. It is up to you to maximize your situation... that is America.

Do you work for a non profit company? You mind sure works like you do.

Nobody forces you to give away those tickets, you could go and enjoy yourself. If you do not enjoy watching potential future JETS play their hearts out... that is not the NFL's fault. They never made you a promise when you bought the tickets in regards to the on the field product.

There is no "Gambino" tax... even with your silly restaurant example... simply you are gaining access to something you want by purchasing a package deal.

Not everything in life is broken down and catered to fit your exact consumer wants and needs. It is up to you to maximize your situation... that is America.

Future Jets? More like future car wash jockeys and McDonald's drive-thru staff. You defend the indefensible and between the pre-season tickets and the fire trap of a stadium, try to sell an inferior product as something very appealing. I am shocked that you were not more successful as a used car salesman.

I work for a profitable company, however that is because we sell only what the consumer wants and do not bundle that with sub-standard products as they would go somewhere else. That is the key, apart from just refusing to buy there is no alternative. Forcing someone to buy something undesirable in order to get what they want is akin to racketeering, the mob has made a fortune doing that for decades. I pay for the tickets because I want to go the games and have for many years, that doesn't mean I have to agree with or like the forced purchase of worthless tickets.

I owned a store right in "PT Barnum Square" right down the road from his childhood home... trust me I know who he is.

I love what I get, and when they play at home in the playoffs this year I will love it even more. I am just glad there are no more grumpy old men reading the news paper telling me to sit down because they have nothing better to do on a Sunday... thank god Woody priced them out of the Stadium.

I am not a sucker, I knowingly spend stupid amounts of money on the JETS because I choose to. If that drives you crazy... then you simply have your own issues you need to figure out.

It doesnt drive me crazy and thats your perogative to spend your money anyway you want to. What angers me is when jerks openly brag about how much money they make and spend. Ive seen some pretty succesful 6 figure businessmen fall from grace the last few years. Its funny when they finally realize they also put their pants on 1 leg at a time like the rest of us.

Woody priced the common man fan out of the stadium. That is what I am, and thats why I chose not to be part of a scam. The Meadowlands had no reason to charge PSLs. They play 16 home games there between the NYJETS and NYGIANTS isnt that enough revenue? Other NFL stadiums only get the luxury of 8 home games.

Im gonna tell you ECURB what my grandparents, God rest their souls told me. Dont spit up in the air because it may someday come down and hit you in the face.

Enjoy your season tickets. I did when it was what I felt was affordable. :D

Future Jets? More like future car wash jockeys and McDonald's drive-thru staff. You defend the indefensible and between the pre-season tickets and the fire trap of a stadium, try to sell an inferior product as something very appealing. I am shocked that you were not more successful as a used car salesman.

I work for a profitable company, however that is because we sell only what the consumer wants and do not bundle that with sub-standard products as they would go somewhere else. That is the key, apart from just refusing to buy there is no alternative. Forcing someone to buy something undesirable in order to get what they want is akin to racketeering, the mob has made a fortune doing that for decades. I pay for the tickets because I want to go the games and have for many years, that doesn't mean I have to agree with or like the forced purchase of worthless tickets.

I was average as a new/used car salesman... now I am doing great as a Sales Manager. ;)

Car Wash? Danny Woodhead almost made the cover of Madden... get real for a second. Sure not all of them make it but enough of them make it to warrant it being interesting... much more so than half the conversations we waste our time with about the JETS here.

As far as your company goes... you are kidding yourself if you do not think they are squeezing every single dollar of profit out of what you sell. Spin it how you want, it is the same damn practice.

It doesnt drive me crazy and thats your perogative to spend your money anyway you want to. What angers me is when jerks openly brag about how much money they make and spend. Ive seen some pretty succesful 6 figure businessmen fall from grace the last few years. Its funny when they finally realize they also put their pants on 1 leg at a time like the rest of us.

Woody priced the common man fan out of the stadium. That is what I am, and thats why I chose not to be part of a scam. The Meadowlands had no reason to charge PSLs. They play 16 home games there between the NYJETS and NYGIANTS isnt that enough revenue? Other NFL stadiums only get the luxury of 8 home games.

Im gonna tell you ECURB what my grandparents, God rest their souls told me. Dont spit up in the air because it may someday come down and hit you in the face.

Enjoy your season tickets. I did when it was what I felt was affordable. :D

I am not rich, I do not make a ton of money. That is why I can so easily defend my stance, it is possible for an average joe to buy a PSL and enjoy the new stadium.

I was average as a new/used car salesman... now I am doing great as a Sales Manager. ;)

Car Wash? Danny Woodhead almost made the cover of Madden... get real for a second. Sure not all of them make it but enough of them make it to warrant it being interesting... much more so than half the conversations we waste our time with about the JETS here.

As far as your company goes... you are kidding yourself if you do not think they are squeezing every single dollar of profit out of what you sell. Spin it how you want, it is the same damn practice.

I am not rich, I do not make a ton of money. That is why I can so easily defend my stance, it is possible for an average joe to buy a PSL and enjoy the new stadium.

That depends what you consider the average Joe.........I have a mortgage 1 car payment, a son in college and a daughter about ready to drive and my wife is paying off a student loan. I couldnt see spending the additional money on a PSL. Id rather eat out, host game day parties,vaction and enjoy life as I see it. I purchase 1 game a year and sit on the 50 in the first few rows thats enough for me. My saying goes "been there done that".

Paying $10.00 for a beer and $7.00 for a hot dog no way I guess you can call me cheap Joe. :rolleyes:

That depends what you consider the average Joe.........I have a mortgage 1 car payment, a son in college and a daughter about ready to drive and my wife is paying off a student loan. I couldnt see spending the additional money on a PSL. Id rather eat out, host game day parties,vaction and enjoy life as I see it. I purchase 1 game a year and sit on the 50 in the first few rows thats enough for me. My saying goes "been there done that".

Paying $10.00 for a beer and $7.00 for a hot dog no way I guess you can call me cheap Joe. :rolleyes:

You couldn't see spending the additional money... that is your argument? That you personally couldn't see yourself spending the money?

10's of thousands of people saw themselves doing it and did... and it is no worse a deal than you "enjoying life as you see fit" as it is how they are enjoying life.

The key to this argument is to remember I have never put anyone down for wanting to watch from home, I only defend the 10's of thousands who cannot speak back against your attacks on their decisions.

You couldn't see spending the additional money... that is your argument? That you personally couldn't see yourself spending the money?

10's of thousands of people saw themselves doing it and did... and it is no worse a deal than you "enjoying life as you see fit" as it is how they are enjoying life.

The key to this argument is to remember I have never put anyone down for wanting to watch from home, I only defend the 10's of thousands who cannot speak back against your attacks on their decisions.

I didnt want to spend my money that way on a dead end account that is worthless. And who's arguing anything I thought we were having a discussion. To each is own.

I didnt want to spend my money that way on a dead end account that is worthless. And who's arguing anything I thought we were having a discussion. To each is own.

Your objective is to prove thousands of others made a poor decision, you have malicious intent.

ECURB: Your love for PSL's makes me sick. If you are willing to spend thousands of dollars for the right to buy season tickets then good for you. But I wonder how you will feel in 5 years when the Jets raise tickets prices again and again and again.

As you probably know I gave up my Pats Season tix last year. The $169 (no psl!) a game wasn't worth it to me and I've thrown Kraft under the bus for the ticket hikes many times on JN.

Your objective is to prove thousands of others made a poor decision, you have malicious intent.

Nope its all my OPINION........ others agree and others disagree.

Whats that PSL gonna be worth after all is said and done? Especially if the ticket prices continue to rise? Whats an average day at the stadium cost for say a group of 4? Care to take an educated guess? There will always be single game ticket holders like myself and there will hopefully always be season ticket holders. Again to each is own. Enjoy the game no matter where you sit or where you watch it from.

Nope its all my OPINION........ others agree and others disagree.

Whats that PSL gonna be worth after all is said and done? Especially if the ticket prices continue to rise? Whats an average day at the stadium cost for say a group of 4? Care to take an educated guess? There will always be single game ticket holders like myself and there will hopefully always be season ticket holders. Again to each is own. Enjoy the game no matter where you sit or where you watch it from.

visa: Were you one of those guys who had season tickets because your Dad/Uncle/cousin had tix back at Shea/Old Meadowlands? I love ecurb calling out the people who had those tickets as he is going to be the same person in 20 years (If he can afford it).

visa: Were you one of those guys who had season tickets because your Dad/Uncle/cousin had tix back at Shea/Old Meadowlands? I love ecurb calling out the people who had those tickets as he is going to be the same person in 20 years (If he can afford it).

My dad brought us through either buying single game tickets or knowing the right salesman and getting them for free. I purchased season tickets back in 1985 after being on the waiting list for years. I managed to afford them for years when they were affordable I made sacrificies to pay for them. As my life changed and my responsibilities became more, I chose to bail out. No one forced me out. It was solely my decision. I enjoyed many years at the stadium good and bad. The PSLs were the straw that broke the camels back for me. Its an investment im not in the position to make at this current time.

My dad brought us through either buying single game tickets or knowing the right salesman and getting them for free. I purchased season tickets back in 1985 after being on the waiting list for years. I managed to afford them for years when they were affordable I made sacrificies to pay for them. As my life changed and my responsibilities became more, I chose to bail out. No one forced me out. It was solely my decision. I enjoyed many years at the stadium good and bad. The PSLs were the straw that broke the camels back for me. Its an investment im not in the position to make at this current time.

There is your first mistake...

It is not an investment, it is a luxury expense.

Archived