Braylon makes his case for return to Jets

Kentucky Jet

Edwards makes his case for return with Jets

Jets BlogBy MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 5:38 AM, May 5, 2011

Posted: 1:59 AM, May 5, 2011

More Print MISSION VIEJO, Calif. -- Braylon Edwards, who had been missing from Mark Sanchez's "Jets West" camp the first two days this week, joined his teammates yesterday and conceded he was initially hesitant to participate because of his uncertain status as a free agent.

"The main reason I'm here is because this is where I want to be," Edwards said after yesterday's workout at Sanchez's alma mater, Mission Viejo High School.

"I don't want to be anywhere else," Edwards said. "This is the team that has supported me the last two years and the team I've grown as a player under.

NY Post: Charles Wenzelberg

TWO OF A KIND: Saying "I don't want to be anywhere else," and "I love my quarterback," Braylon Edwards showed up at Mark Sanchez's "Jets West" camp yesterday even though he might be an unrestricted free agent after the NFL lockout.

"I don't want to go anywhere else to start over. I like the organization, I like the players and I love my quarterback."

Indeed, Sanchez, entering his third year as the leader of the Jets, is a major draw for Edwards, who is an unrestricted free agent pending the end of the NFL lockout.

Edwards conceded that it's a "weird" feeling participating in this camp not knowing whether or not these will be his teammates in four months.

"I'd be lying if I said it wasn't," he said. "I'm technically not a Jet right now. And at same time this is all voluntary, so if I get hurt I'm on my own right now.

"It is a little weird being out here practicing, playing and watching film, going over plays . . . but this may not be my team. I may not be with this [team]. I may not be with this quarterback. It's a little uneasy, but I'm dealing with it."

Edwards said his agent had a brief conversation with the Jets about him re-signing before the lockout began.

"It was not a long [conversation], but they did talk and they did express that they wanted me back," he said. "But that never was in question. Now it becomes a matter of how much do you want me back? This is where I want to be. I can't say that enough."

Asked if he would be willing to give the Jets a "hometown discount," Edwards said, "It depends on what that discount is. I'm not aiming for the moon. I feel like I've earned a certain amount of money and I've shown that I'm a team guy 100 percent and I can make big plays.

"I've put myself in a situation where I think I'm in a certain ballpark and I just want to be somewhere in that ballpark. If [the Jets' offer] it's close . . . nobody's really arguing about a $500,000 to $1 million [difference]. You get close, then let's do it."

Edwards played last season for about $6 million and could be seeking something long term for upwards of a $10 million average. Because he might be the top unrestricted free agent receiver, there could be a strong market for Edwards.

Another compelling piece to this puzzle is the fact that Santonio Holmes and Brad Smith also are potential free agents, though if and when the lockout is ever lifted, they could be restricted free agents depending on the rules because neither has six years of NFL service.

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum has said publicly he wants to keep all three players.

Is that possible?

"I think it's possible, but does it become who's ego will be willing to drop their guard to make it work for the betterment of the team as well as trying to win a Super Bowl?" Edwards said. "That chemistry we had last year was special. Santonio and I worked well together, made a lot of plays.

"It becomes, can egos work together, or will they clash? My ego, I'm not clashing. I'm trying to get compensated the right way, but at same time I've been around six years now and see what it takes to win. Sometimes you have to give a little bit in order to receive."

Edwards insisted he was not obsessed with being a so-called No. 1 receiver. He did, however, hint he can be used better by the Jets coaches.

"It's not about being a No. 1 receiver, it's about utilizing my abilities more," he said. "There were games [last] year where I felt that I could have made more plays. Being 6-4, 215, I felt I could have made more plays in [certain] games because of coverage.

"It's about utilizing me and my talents a little more in certain games."

Edwards said he plans to stay in California and work with Sanchez for another week or two after "Jets West" concludes tomorrow. Jets TE Dustin Keller is doing the same.

mcannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz1LTeL94Ln

Edwards said he plans to stay in California and work with Sanchez for another week or two after "Jets West" concludes tomorrow. Jets TE Dustin Keller is doing the same.

The more I read about Edwards, the more I love this guy. Now he's staying extra time to work with Sanchez? Credit to Keller too, but Edwards is doing all of this without even having a contract. Edwards is the one guy I'm going to be really upset if the Jets lose this offseason. I'd love them to keep Holmes and even Cromartie as well, but Braylon should be the #1 priority.

Asked if he would be willing to give the Jets a "hometown discount," Edwards said, "It depends on what that discount is. I'm not aiming for the moon. I feel like I've earned a certain amount of money and I've shown that I'm a team guy 100 percent and I can make big plays.

"I've put myself in a situation where I think I'm in a certain ballpark and I just want to be somewhere in that ballpark. If [the Jets' offer] it's close . . . nobody's really arguing about a $500,000 to $1 million [difference]. You get close, then let's do it."

"It becomes, can egos work together, or will they clash? My ego, I'm not clashing. I'm trying to get compensated the right way, but at same time I've been around six years now and see what it takes to win. Sometimes you have to give a little bit in order to receive."

Edwards insisted he was not obsessed with being a so-called No. 1 receiver. He did, however, hint he can be used better by the Jets coaches.

"It's not about being a No. 1 receiver, it's about utilizing my abilities more," he said. "There were games [last] year where I felt that I could have made more plays. Being 6-4, 215, I felt I could have made more plays in [certain] games because of coverage.

"It's about utilizing me and my talents a little more in certain games."

mcannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz1LTeL94Ln

It seems like he's a man who really knows what he wants. He had his big rookie signing bonus, made and handled his money properly and now realizes that he no longer wants to chase the dollar only to be stuck on a losing team again. He's been on some crappy browns' teams and understands that sacrificing a little money to be on a Super Bowl caliber team is well worth it, as far as enjoying life and loving going to work. His maturity and words have spoken volumes, I really would be disappointed if he's not back this year.

I've always been happy with Edwards' work ethic. He knows he's not guaranteed to be on the team next year, but practices anyway and wants to stay. Where is Santonio right now? I still want to keep both, but Edwards might be the more realistic and more deserving choice.

I've always been happy with Edwards' work ethic. He knows he's not guaranteed to be on the team next year, but practices anyway and wants to stay. Where is Santonio right now? I still want to keep both, but Edwards might be the more realistic and more deserving choice.

I absolutely agree with you. Edwards makes sense for me. I wonder where Holmes is. I did hear that he was looking to buy a very expensive condo in lower Manhattan recently.

heres a prediction:

they sign Harris (remove the Tag)

they sign Edwards

they TAG Holmes

they let Cro Walk

I'd rather see Holmes walk. he is not at JETS WEST. he did have a lot of drops last year. Is he a team player? Does he block in the run game? Is he worth what he tinks he is worth?

Holmes was my favorite non-Jet, but since he got here, he's never felt like a part of the team. Edwards made just as many game changing catches last year, and sounds like he has the right attitude. I understand the argument about talent but to me, Edwards is the more important of the two.

Archived