I just bought a new laptop - Lenovo

Maxman

RAM isn't what will bottleneck you when it comes to games. Your graphics card is what matters, and possibly the CPU. Windows 7 is really resource intensive and RAM is super cheap, so it makes sense to upgrade that.

That's my point. Im able to play video games with 2 gigs of ram...and he has 3. If he's not looking to play high end games (which for a $350 laptop I doubt that was his purpose) then whats wrong with 3 gigs of RAM running an OS when I run a smooth Win 7 with 2 gigs?. Though cheap, its an unnecessary upgrade if he's just running office applications, and a youtube vid at the same time. 3 gigs is still alot of RAM, more than enough to run an operating system and to type on Jetnation.

I have 8gb in my machine and still face memory pressure cause things like FF, IE and Visual Studio can take over 2GB alone

I doubt that Max purchased a $350 laptop to run visual Studio or any resource intensive program. You may pay $350 just for 8 gigs of memory alone. In respects to running windows 7's OS, updating a resume, doing a bill breakdown in excel, watching a movie and running his dictatorship on Jetnation ( :o ), I think he'll be fine.

Laptops are going the way of desktop computers. Which is perfect for me I must say. I've always been "late to the party" if you will when it comes to the latest gadgets. So im really digging the fact that laptops are so damn affordable given that laptops do everything that I need them to do. I guess I'll be picking up the Ipad 5 for like $100 when the new hologram gadgets take over the market and will be absolutely stoked about my purchase lol.

I am totally with you on that one. Typically I am not much of an early adopter.

That's my point. Im able to play video games with 2 gigs of ram...and he has 3. If he's not looking to play high end games (which for a $350 laptop I doubt that was his purpose) then whats wrong with 3 gigs of RAM running an OS when I run a smooth Win 7 with 2 gigs?. Though cheap, its an unnecessary upgrade if he's just running office applications, and a youtube vid at the same time. 3 gigs is still alot of RAM, more than enough to run an operating system and to type on Jetnation.

RAM won't matter at all when it comes to high end games when you're running on intel's integrated graphics. It all depends on the uses, but with the way I multitask and the price point of adding a stick (especially if his is in one slot, which I actually doubt. It's probably 2 gb and 1 gb) I would do it. But I wouldn't be able to get far on a $350 laptop anyways though.

I doubt that Max purchased a $350 laptop to run visual Studio or any resource intensive program. You may pay $350 just for 8 gigs of memory alone. In respects to running windows 7's OS, updating a resume, doing a bill breakdown in excel, watching a movie and running his dictatorship on Jetnation ( :o ), I think he'll be fine.

You can get 2x4gb sticks of RAM for $64, all told. And that was just with me googling and picking the first thing I could find on newegg.

RAM won't matter at all when it comes to high end games when you're running on intel's integrated graphics. It all depends on the uses, but with the way I multitask and the price point of adding a stick (especially if his is in one slot, which I actually doubt. It's probably 2 gb and 1 gb) I would do it. But I wouldn't be able to get far on a $350 laptop anyways though.

All this ultra techie, isnt necessary especially if you're missing my point. Max's laptop with 3 gigs running office applications and chatting on Jetnation is fine. How about asking Max. I havent seen him say that he's had issues.

I'll leave it there.

All this ultra techie, isnt necessary especially if you're missing my point. Max's laptop with 3 gigs running office applications and chatting on Jetnation is fine. How about asking Max. I havent seen him say that he's had issues.

I'll leave it there.

I'm not arguing that, it's all up to the user. I think I spend more time arguing minor quibbles while agreeing with the same point, which is probably a bad habit because people think I'm disagreeing with their whole premise, which isn't necessarily the case.

I'm not arguing that, it's all up to the user. I think I spend more time arguing minor quibbles while agreeing with the same point, which is probably a bad habit because people think I'm disagreeing with their whole premise, which isn't necessarily the case.

Cool.

Good to know. I thought you were trying to bait me into an agrument, which im sitting here like "why"??? lol. I understand what you mean now. Its hard sometimes to figure out things like that when only reading text.

Archived