Players, Owners Hold Secret Mettings in NYC

flgreen

NFL Lockout: Players, Owners Hold Secret Meetings In NYC

June 8, 2011 6:47 AM

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – The NFL and its players held talks Tuesday at a New York City hotel, seeking a resolution to the ongoing lockout.

Three people familiar with the meetings confirmed to The Associated Press that the two groups met. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the meetings were supposed to be confidential.

One of the people confirmed the sides met in NYC.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league has no comment on the meeting, first reported by the NFL Network.

This is the second time in the last week the two sides have met, including a three-day session outside Chicago that included Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL Players Association head DeMaurice Smith.

The idea is simple: face-to-face negotiations are more likely to lead to a new collective bargaining agreement than court actions.

Last Friday, both sides appeared before the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis, arguing whether the owners’ lockout of the players is legal. The lockout is approaching its third month, with the first preseason game just two months away.

If the federal appeals court orders the lockout lifted, the owners would need to implement a system for free agency, perhaps with a salary cap, and would not get the new business model they are seeking.

The federal appeals court has said it will rule in “due course.” Judge Kermit Bye, however, advised the two sides to work it out, saying the court’s decision likely will be “something both sides aren’t going to like.”

if this is going to be settled thru negotiation this is the way to go. Keep the media away away.

I think this is a very good sign. They aren't just meeting so they can come out and make angry threats to the scribes, they are meeting to talk to the other side

if this is going to be settled thru negotiation this is the way to go. Keep the media away away.

I think this is a very good sign. They aren't just meeting so they can come out and make angry threats to the scribes, they are meeting to talk to the other side

I heard they also had this secret meeting without the lawyers. Obviously the lawyers aren't helping this situation.

I heard they also had this secret meeting without the lawyers. Obviously the lawyers aren't helping this situation.

Lawyers never help any situation. They don't make any money when things are settled peacefully. Their big money is in conflict,

The only thing lawyers are good for is to protect yourself from other peoples lawyers.

The real problem here all along is that the leader of the NFLPA is a lawyer. Wants to be in court

Lawyers never help any situation. They don't make any money when things are settled peacefully. Their big money is in conflict,

The only thing lawyers are good for is to protect yourself from other peoples lawyers.

The real problem here all along is that the leader of the NFLPA is a lawyer. Wants to be in court

It really was the worst combination ever. The NFLPA head is a lawyer, the NFL commissioner a complete ******* idiot and the owners a greedy bunch of assholes. The only good news though is that lawyer in question now knows he's likely about to lose his second straight court ruling, and the moment a lawyer realizes that losing is a reality, they suddenly become SOOO much more interested in negotiating a settlement. Combine that with the fact that as much as the owners want more money out of this deal, they're staring the prospect of losing a sh*tload of it in the face if they start chopping off games, and now they're suddenly a whole lot more interested as well. At least they're only finally sitting down, because if either side thought this was getting settled in court, we'd be waiting another two years before we ever saw another NFL game.

It really was the worst combination ever. The NFLPA head is a lawyer, the NFL commissioner a complete ******* idiot and the owners a greedy bunch of assholes. The only good news though is that lawyer in question now knows he's likely about to lose his second straight court ruling, and the moment a lawyer realizes that losing is a reality, they suddenly become SOOO much more interested in negotiating a settlement. Combine that with the fact that as much as the owners want more money out of this deal, they're staring the prospect of losing a sh*tload of it in the face if they start chopping off games, and now they're suddenly a whole lot more interested as well. At least they're only finally sitting down, because if either side thought this was getting settled in court, we'd be waiting another two years before we ever saw another NFL game.

Agree 100%. For the first time in months I'm thinking we will have football on time.

The federal appeals court has said it will rule in “due course.” Judge Kermit Bye, however, advised the two sides to work it out, saying the court’s decision likely will be “something both sides aren’t going to like.”

HELL YEA, I like this guy. so not only will the fans lose out, neither the league or players will get what they want either....

Combine that with the fact that as much as the owners want more money out of this deal, they're staring the prospect of losing a sh*tload of it in the face if they start chopping off games, and now they're suddenly a whole lot more interested as well.

Short term, the lockout hurts the owners more than the players - not that I think any of these billionaires are actually crying about the financial pain in private. But loss of a preseason is a loss of revenue for the teams, not the players who don't get paid until the regular season begins. The players would probably prefer no preseason games at all. But if it gets that far, then the owners (guys like Snyder, Jerry Jones?) will be looking to take some game checks back simply for retribution.

Bottom line: I think if a deal doesn't get done soon, then the owners will really dig in once the players were supposed to start getting paid. This might be the best shot for the players to get a favorable deal. I doubt the owners will be much more benevolent once they're losing money. And they'll feel -rightly so- that leverage is on their side when the players start really feeling the financial pain.

How the hell does someone with a first name of Kermit become a judge? Damn.

Anyway, I think this was his way of saying "you're all going to get ****ed if you can't come to an agreement and we have to decide your fate". That was enough to get the two sides talking again.

Archived