i beleive the jets are in excellent shape in the wide receiver dept

ylekram

to listen to the media,the jets are in dire straights when it comes to free agency.the jets have many free agents and cant keep em all.really making a big deal out of the 3 wide receiver free agents.holmes,edwards,& smith.all 3 would love nothing more than to sign a fair market value with the jets.edwards went on the record saying he would even take a discount to sign with the jets.normally,the chances are that the jets will only sign 1 of the 3.keep in mind,holmes is 1 tree smoking episode away from a 1 year suspension.pending the outcome of edwards dwi/probation violation,he too,is looking at a suspension.i beleive those issues will keep the price down when free agency starts.also,there is a slew of talented wr's on the market,with a few more most likely added later.(smith ochocinco)if anything close to fair market value is offered to brad smith from another team,brad smith is gone.

with that said,it is a real possibility that the jets sign holmes and edwards.but if not,who cares.the jets swapped a 3rd and 2 5th's for both players.either one leaves and the jets will get a 3rd rounder back.but the jets will sign one of these guys leaving the jets wide receivers looking like this.edwards/holmes-cotchery.not a bad 1-2 punch if you ask me.puts cotchery back in his natural outside receiver spot.with any luck,this new kid kerley can fit the slot role leaving the jets to add payne or turner to the active roster or look for outside help.

out of all the wr's available this season,there is one guy i would like to add to the roster if the jets cant re-sign holmes and edwards.definetely not randy moss.always questioned his heart.ochocinco looked done last year(keep in mind,i am talking about guys the jets could get on the cheap)who i am talking about(dont fall off your chair laughing)is terrell owens.the guy can still play at a high level at 37 years of age.his work ethic is second to none.he is in better shape than 80% of the guys almost half his age.but he is a cancer,you say.i think the jets front office and roster is fully equipped to handle his attitude.the other teams owens played with,they couldnt handle him because they had no choice.he was his teams number one receiver.he would be behind cotchery & holmes/edwards.tell him he can run his mouth all he wants but if he runs it about the jets,he will be cut.no questions asked.the jets seem to be the most hated team as of late with rex,scott,and the bunch running their mouths.could you imagine adding owens?the jets would have a 100% hatred rate outside of the tri-state.how cool would that be?

holmes,edwards,& smith.all 3 would love nothing more than to sign a fair market value with the jets.

Smith isn't even a WR so I don't care, but he's gone. Someone's gonna pay him a lot more than the Jets are willing to offer.

Holmes will go to the highest bidder. He might allow ability to contend somewhat influence his decision, but he's chasing the money.

Edwards is the only one talking about taking a hometown discount, and even he is saying the Jets need to at least be in the ballpark with their numbers.

My concern is that the Jets will chase after Holmes (their #1 choice), and someone else will swoop in after Edwards while their back is turned.

Cotchery is coming off a couple injuries, and Kerley is a fifth rounder. I hope he has something to offer, but he's a major question mark - especially with no OTA's and training camp.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be concerned about the Jets' WR situation.

The Jets wide receivers currently under contract are Jerricho Cotchery, Patrick Turner, Jeremey Kerley, Scotty McKnight and Logan Payne. They are not in excellent shape at WR.

I agree how could anyone who knows anything about football say they are in excellant shape.

Smith isn't even a WR so I don't care, but he's gone. Someone's gonna pay him a lot more than the Jets are willing to offer.

Holmes will go to the highest bidder. He might allow ability to contend somewhat influence his decision, but he's chasing the money.

Edwards is the only one talking about taking a hometown discount, and even he is saying the Jets need to at least be in the ballpark with their numbers.

My concern is that the Jets will chase after Holmes (their #1 choice), and someone else will swoop in after Edwards while their back is turned.

Cotchery is coming off a couple injuries, and Kerley is a fifth rounder. I hope he has something to offer, but he's a major question mark - especially with no OTA's and training camp.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be concerned about the Jets' WR situation.

The bold times infinity! Holmes has made it clear he's not going to do the Jets any favors, so it's bound not to be an easy process, and even if the NFL does put together a short window for teams to re-sign their own FAs, I don't see any way Holmes signs a deal without testing the open market. Braylon on the other hand seems like he would be more than happy to sign a deal as long as it's fair, but I can see the Jets chasing after Holmes and insulting Braylon enough in the process that he's one of the first guys out the door. I get the idea that the Jets want to keep both guys, I just feel like prioritizing the guy who has made it clear he couldn't care either way where he ends up over the guy who really wants to stay could be very, very dangerous.

The Jets wide receivers currently under contract are Jerricho Cotchery, Patrick Turner, Jeremey Kerley, Scotty McKnight and Logan Payne. They are not in excellent shape at WR.

if you read the post,you would see my reasoning.by the way mcknight and kerley are not under contract

I agree how could anyone who knows anything about football say they are in excellant shape.

i agree.i mustnt know anything about football.the point of the post is that the jets have many options and will come out smelling like a peach

The bold times infinity! Holmes has made it clear he's not going to do the Jets any favors, so it's bound not to be an easy process, and even if the NFL does put together a short window for teams to re-sign their own FAs, I don't see any way Holmes signs a deal without testing the open market. Braylon on the other hand seems like he would be more than happy to sign a deal as long as it's fair, but I can see the Jets chasing after Holmes and insulting Braylon enough in the process that he's one of the first guys out the door. I get the idea that the Jets want to keep both guys, I just feel like prioritizing the guy who has made it clear he couldn't care either way where he ends up over the guy who really wants to stay could be very, very dangerous.

do you really think that would be the case,tho?i gotta beleive tanny and co. are smarter than that.they might let edwards go if they can sign holmes reasonably,which i beleive is the route they take(trying to sign holmes first as a feeler guage)if holmes is difficult,they sign edwards and take a waite and see approach with holmes.i just dont see anyone offering holmes a blockbuster deal with his baggage.he is a 1 year suspension waiting to happen.

if you read the post,you would see my reasoning.by the way mcknight and kerley are not under contract

That doesn't help your case. They might not be under contract, but the Jets have their rights. That's more than you can say for any legit WR not named Cotchery. Your reasoning is that they *can* sign decent WRs. *Can* does not mean will and certainly does not mean they are in "excellent shape". Signing Owens would indicate panic. If they had wanted him they could have had him last year. They only need to sign Edward or Holmes and they will be fine, but not necessarily in "excellent shape".

That doesn't help your case. They might not be under contract, but the Jets have their rights. That's more than you can say for any legit WR not named Cotchery. Your reasoning is that they *can* sign decent WRs. *Can* does not mean will and certainly does not mean they are in "excellent shape". Signing Owens would indicate panic. If they had wanted him they could have had him last year. They only need to sign Edward or Holmes and they will be fine, but not necessarily in "excellent shape".

a bengals fan probably said the same thing about owens.not a panic move.a realistic cheap productive alternative.as far as excellent shape,for the reasons stated above,i think they are.time will tell but the jets will come out smelling like a peach.

a bengals fan probably said the same thing about owens.not a panic move.a realistic cheap productive alternative.as far as excellent shape,for the reasons stated above,i think they are.time will tell but the jets will come out smelling like a peach.

I'll agree to disagree, but I want to be on the record as stating that I am not fond of Terrell Owens.

You say Owens would behave because he knows he would be expendable?

It's a nice reasonable line of thought, but the trouble with head cases is that they don't usually do what's reasonable.

no.i said the jets fo and roster are equipped to handle his attitude.if he acts up,he doesnt need to play

I'll agree to disagree, but I want to be on the record as stating that I am not fond of Terrell Owens.

probably a bad choice of words using excellent.maybe should have said "not as bad a shape as most people think"

no.i said the jets fo and roster are equipped to handle his attitude.if he acts up,he doesnt need to play

If it's no big deal if Owens sits down, he can't occupy an important part of the offense, can he?

I remember Owens going nuts, punching Hugh Douglas and calling out the whole locker room in Philadelphia. Did a great job destroying the team. This is after he destroyed San Francisco and Jeff Garcia.

Thank you, no.

If it's no big deal if Owens sits down, he can't occupy an important part of the offense, can he?

I remember Owens going nuts, punching Hugh Douglas and calling out the whole locker room in Philadelphia. Did a great job destroying the team. This is after he destroyed San Francisco and Jeff Garcia.

Thank you, no.

if one player can destroy a team,thats not much of a team in the first place,no?those teams bent over backwards for owens and he knew it.he played the game with them.i didnt hear a whole lot of him destroying buffalo or cincinatti.

Buffalo was in such bad shape that we don't really know what damage he did there-it could have been masked by other problems. Okay, he did all right in Cincinatti, big deal. He did all right in Philadelphia too before he went bonkers and tore the whole damn team apart.

Archived