Michaels talks 2 for LA

Jetfan13

NFL power brokers like Patriots owner Robert Kraft have made it clear that having two teams in Los Angeles would be an ideal scenario for the league. If a billion-dollar stadium ever gets built, why not make full use of it, as the league does in New York?

NBC broadcaster and L.A. resident Al Michaels reiterated that thinking in a recent interview with the Los Angeles Times. Said Michaels, who recently accompanied Kraft on a trip to Israel: "There's no question in my mind that if a stadium gets built, they'll start with one team but get another team. The league may not come out and say this overtly, but where would you rather play a Super Bowl than Los Angeles? It's a great sports town, it's always been a great sports town. People denigrate it because people leave a Dodger game early. Does that mean you're not a great sports fan?"

More Michaels from the Times on L.A.'s reputation as a blase sports town: “It's a great sports town. What really bothers me is that when I see it written that L.A. won't support professional football because everybody is off surfing. So let me get this straight: In Southern California there's like 15 million people or something, and they're all out surfing, on a Sunday? When they say you won't have enough support, I say excuse me, so you can't sell 75,000 tickets on a Sunday? Of course you can."

You know I just watched the 30 for 30 "straight out of LA" and Al Davis had an opportunity to build a new stadium in LA but said the league wanted him to share the stadium with another team. I thought there is Al being a victim or having revisionist history again.

The more I hear about this LA venture version two, the more I realize Al was telling the truth.

Word

LA didnt support the Rams.

While LA was not fan-natical like many East Coast cities support their teams, the fans supported the Rams and Raiders w/60K a game. It was the city/state government or owners, who did not support the teams efforts for a new stadium.

I think a team in LA is better than a non-drawing one in Jax or a owner that is slowly getting in over their head in Buffalo. Two? Whatever, but they can and will support one.

While LA was not fan-natical like many East Coast cities support their teams, the fans supported the Rams and Raiders w/60K a game. It was the city/state government or owners, who did not support the teams efforts for a new stadium.

I think a team in LA is better than a non-drawing one in Jax or a owner that is slowly getting in over their head in Buffalo. Two? Whatever, but they can and will support one.

If Buffalo makes the move, I hope they realign the league shortly afterward. Would suck to have a guaranteed west coast trip within the division every year.

Archived