Mo Wilkerson-Merged

F.Chowds

Jets agree to terms on a 4-year deal for first-round pick Mo Wilkerson

BY MANISH MEHTA

The Daily News has learned that the Jets have agreed on terms for a 4-year deal for first-round pick Mo Wilkerson. The Jets have now locked up five of its six draft picks. Only third-rounder Kenrick Ellis remains without a deal.

The 6-5, 305-pound Wilkerson, the 30th overall pick, is expected to play a pivotal part in the Jets' defensive line rotation, The former Temple star's versatility should immediate help a unit that struggled to generate a consistent pass rush last season. Wilkerson is the second consecutive New Jersey native that the Jets have selected with its first-round pick.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

4 years (meaning, if he's any good, 3 years then renegotiate before his 4th) for a round 1 pick. If these are the new rules it pays to grab an extra pick and trade out of the bottom of round 1. Used to be at least a team would get that extra "cheap" year when they had the ability to lock a first rounder up for 5 years. Probably a fair trade-off for a rookie wage scale CBA-wise, but the value of a low 1st vs a high 2nd just dropped.

4 years (meaning, if he's any good, 3 years then renegotiate before his 4th) for a round 1 pick. If these are the new rules it pays to grab an extra pick and trade out of the bottom of round 1. Used to be at least a team would get that extra "cheap" year when they had the ability to lock a first rounder up for 5 years. Probably a fair trade-off for a rookie wage scale CBA-wise, but the value of a low 1st vs a high 2nd just dropped.

The new rules still give that extra cheap year. While I dont have the exact number for any of the rookies some allocation figures I cam across have me thinking the cap charge in year 4 will be in the ballpark of 2.2 million. My guess is that the total contract is going to be worth in the ballpark of 6.9 million with 5.5 million guaranteed. Jets will have a 5th year option that I think pays the average starters salary at his position. That option gets picked up in year 3 and is guaranteed for injury in year 4 and year 5. It becomes guaranteed for skill and cap on the first day of the fifth league year.

Because of that I think the value of the 1st rounder now skyrockets. Its basically 5 years at a fraction of the cost of what the guys got before. Look at Sanchez. Hes earning around 15 million in cash this year. A player picked in his position would earn a fraction of that now.

The new rules still give that extra cheap year. While I dont have the exact number for any of the rookies some allocation figures I cam across have me thinking the cap charge in year 4 will be in the ballpark of 2.2 million. My guess is that the total contract is going to be worth in the ballpark of 6.9 million with 5.5 million guaranteed. Jets will have a 5th year option that I think pays the average starters salary at his position. That option gets picked up in year 3 and is guaranteed for injury in year 4 and year 5. It becomes guaranteed for skill and cap on the first day of the fifth league year.

Because of that I think the value of the 1st rounder now skyrockets. Its basically 5 years at a fraction of the cost of what the guys got before. Look at Sanchez. Hes earning around 15 million in cash this year. A player picked in his position would earn a fraction of that now.

Exactly what I just said. The value of first round picks will now be higher.

Archived