Jets have made offer to free-agent CB Antonio Cromartie

F.Chowds

Jenny Vrentas

Jets have made offer to free-agent CB Antonio Cromartie, per source. #nyj

Who thinks this shakes out today because camp is staring?

The Jets have extended an offer to free-agent cornerback Antonio Cromartie, per a person informed of the communication between the sides. That person requested anonymity because of the tenuous nature of negotiations.

Cornerback is the Jets' top outstanding priority in free agency. The team was involved in the race for Nnamdi Asomugha last week, but the Oakland free-agent selected the Eagles.

This morning, they agreed to terms with receiver Plaxico Burress, giving quarterback Mark Sanchez another weapon after re-signing Santonio Holmes. But Burress' money is not expected to affect the money the Jets will be able to give Cromartie, per the person -- which is what the Jets objective was in securing a second receiver.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cro will be a Jets tonight and all the sky is falling weirdo's will cry over Brad Smith and Braylon who nobody wants. While I'd argue if we sign Heap and Plexico, we're better on offense.

and better on defense. seeing as strickland is better than drew coleman in coverage not counting the impact of our rooks on the d line.

Lupz who would you like to see as the CB2?

Kyle Wilson, we drafted him with a first round pick he is 23 years old he looked better than Cromartie when Revis held out and he got to play his natural outside position. If he is not your future awnser at CB 2 trade him now cause he is not ever going to reach his full potential playing on the inside.

Plus I don't like Cromartie yes he can run fast yes he is athletic, but he is a pussy and plays selfish and also is not very football smart.

I know I'm in the minority on this but whatever if the Jets sign him I will root like hell for him but I'd rather see another depth CB signing instead and give the kid a chance.

Cro will be a Jets tonight and all the sky is falling weirdo's will cry over Brad Smith and Braylon who nobody wants. While I'd argue if we sign Heap and Plexico, we're better on offense.

I totally agree Cro will be done by tonight for no other reason than the star of camp and there is some rule in the CBR preventing them (UFA's) from practicing for a few days after signing

Kyle Wilson, we drafted him with a first round pick he is 23 years old he looked better than Cromartie when Revis held out and he got to play his natural outside position. If he is not your future awnser at CB 2 trade him now cause he is not ever going to reach his full potential playing on the inside.

Plus I don't like Cromartie yes he can run fast yes he is athletic, but he is a pussy and plays selfish and also is not very football smart.

I know I'm in the minority on this but whatever if the Jets sign him I will root like hell for him but I'd rather see another depth CB signing instead and give the kid a chance.

No I really respect what you are saying but Plax and looking like signing heap as a rentals this year it all about the March to Dallas and most people feel like Cro give us a better chance THIS YEAR.

And no way we win that play off game in Indy game with out his return at the end of the Game. I know Wilson is supposed to be solid returner but I did not see it it last year when given the opportunity

Who the **** is playing Free Safety?

That's where Cromartie's money should go either this year or next.

And who is playing in S. Ellis spot need to spend money there for THIS year, hope it's Ellis himself.

Our safety tandem of Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard are chock full o GRIT!

and better on defense. seeing as strickland is better than drew coleman in coverage not counting the impact of our rooks on the d line.

Yep. 2 new young studs for the Dline and Pitatoui should be healthy who Rex and Pettine were drooling over last preseason.

I totally agree Cro will be done by tonight for no other reason than the star of camp and there is some rule in the CBR preventing them (UFA's) from practicing for a few days after signing

Its us vs the Raiders...they'll out bid us...but at the end of the day...its the Raiders vs. the Jets. Jets will resign him.

Who the **** is playing Free Safety?

That's where Cromartie's money should go either this year or next.

And who is playing in S. Ellis spot need to spend money there for THIS year, hope it's Ellis himself.

Same Jags who've been playing FS for the last 2 seasons? I dunno, clearly its not as important to Rex as it is to JetNation who thinks we need an all star at every position.

No I really respect what you are saying but Plax and looking like signing heap as a rentals this year it all about the March to Dallas and most people feel like Cro give us a better chance THIS YEAR.

And no way we win that play off game in Indy game with out his return at the end of the Game. I know Wilson is supposed to be solid returner but I did not see it it last year when given the opportunity

If the Cromartie signing Is a 1 year signing then **** yea sign me up but if you invest 5 years in him at big money it's a huge gamble, what happens when his legs go now you have a slow pussy.

Plus then the Jets let those agents play them, **** that!

Yep. 2 new young studs for the Dline and Pitatoui should be healthy who Rex and Pettine were drooling over last preseason.

Its us vs the Raiders...they'll out bid us...but at the end of the day...its the Raiders vs. the Jets. Jets will resign him.

Same Jags who've been playing FS for the last 2 seasons? I dunno, clearly its not as important to Rex as it is to JetNation who thinks we need an all star at every position.

Pool gave up Zero TD's after the Pats debacle including the playoffs he did not play like a JAG down the stretch.

Odds are Those 2 young studs will not be any good THIS year so there is an obvious need there.

I don't like the idea of giving Cro a long term deal, especially when we are bidding against the infamous overspenders in Oak.

Missing out on Aso/Joseph is going to sting. Cro will not be the same player he was last year after he has that fat contract.

Pool gave up Zero TD's after the Pats debacle including the playoffs he did not play like a JAG down the stretch.

Odds are Those 2 young studs will not be any good THIS year so there is an obvious need there.

And he (Pool) played like a ******* stud int hat INDY game 3 big tackles for three and outs the 1st quarter of the game. He really set the the tone for that game.

Kyle Wilson: Time to Step Up?

BY FERNANDEZ ON JUL 31, 2011, 10:00 AM

Nnamdi Asomugha – Eagles

Nate Clements – Bengals

Jonathan Joseph – Texans

Chris Carr – Ravens

Ike Taylor – Steelers

Josh Wilson – Redskins

Antonio Cromartie – ?

Phillip Buchannon – ?

The Jets have been making a hard push to lock up a number two cornerback to play opposite all-world DB Darelle Revis. While the CB free agent pool is drying up quickly of top-level talent, Mr.T has been on the phone with Cromartie, trying to bring him back. Signing Cromartie, or another top CB, will allow defensive minded Rex Ryan to become more creative with his blitz schemes. What if all the energy placed into getting this player is for naught (do people still say that)? Would they be better served to focus on other needs, like a wideout or pass rushing linebacker?

What if, their number two corner is already on the roster?

Enter: Kyle Wilson

While having an uninspiring rookie year playing behind Revis and Cromartie, Wilson did have moments where he showed his skill. Taking Wilson in the first round, Rex and company clearly saw something they liked so why not give him the chance to start? He is already under contract and would free up money to sign a wideout and bring some youth into our aging outside linebacker corps (Manny Lawson). Wilson has had a year to learn from two great corners, so it may well be time to take off his training wheels and see what we have.

Do you think Wilson is ready (or will ever be ready) to play alongside Revis?

You're acting like Pool is a pro bowler. Eric Smith played great down the stretch too. I'm pretty confident his production wont be hard to replace.

Odds are, they will be good this year because they're NFL ready players who fit the system perfectly. And we only need Mo Wilk to really be ready. We can bring Ellis along. The Jets are probably going to add depth at every position they can. Lots of cutting going on around the league. Its the last day in July, no team has their game day roster.

Cro will not be the same player he was last year after he has that fat contract.

You cant run a franchise in fear of that...and Cro has a large family to feed, he'll want another contract after his one too.

Kyle Wilson, we drafted him with a first round pick he is 23 years old he looked better than Cromartie when Revis held out and he got to play his natural outside position.
LOL which games were you watching? He wasn't bad with the coverage itself, but he was terrible at finding the ball. He certainly didn't look or play better than Cromartie. He'll probably get more playing time this year. Just remember, nobody plays amazing in their rookie year. I think he'll be good.

Our safety tandem of Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard are chock full o GRIT!

I would honenstly have Lowery start at safety from camp. If he learns how to tackle, he can an above average starter. For Smith, Rex likes to use him in a weird positon. He played some LB/S in the game against NE.

You're acting like Pool is a pro bowler. Eric Smith played great down the stretch too. I'm pretty confident his production wont be hard to replace.

Odds are, they will be good this year because they're NFL ready players who fit the system perfectly. And we only need Mo Wilk to really be ready. We can bring Ellis along. The Jets are probably going to add depth at every position they can. Lots of cutting going on around the league. Its the last day in July, no team has their game day roster.

You cant run a franchise in fear of that...and Cro has a large family to feed, he'll want another contract after his one too.

What evidence do you have that Wilkerson will be able to contribute as 3-4 DE a position he never played or an inside DT in the 46, against MEN not 19 year old kids from the MAC or whatever conference Temple plays in.

Not to mention he didn't even walk into the facility to get coached until 2 days ago.

So no I am not confident in Wilkerson to contribute big snaps this season, future yes I am on both just not this year.

What evidence do you have that Wilkerson will be able to contribute as 3-4 DE a position he never played or an inside DT in the 46, against MEN not 19 year old kids from the MAC or whatever conference Temple plays in.

Not to mention he didn't even walk into the facility to get coached until 2 days ago.

So no I am not confident in Wilkerson to contribute big snaps this season, future yes I am on both just not this year.

Because we have a good coaching staff who will have him ready. He can play every position on the line. If he's not a full time starter from day 1, which expecting that too be would be silly, he'll find very nice niche in Rex's D.

And again, we're not done. I'm confident they'll add depth on the line. I've got to assume with getting Plex on the cheap, 1 year deal, we'll have plenty of money to sign veteran depth...maybe even bring back Ellis or Pryce or JT. who knows, but I'm sure we'll add some vets.

Because we have a good coaching staff who will have him ready. He can play every position on the line. If he's not a full time starter from day 1, which expecting that too be would be silly, he'll find very nice niche in Rex's D.

And again, we're not done. I'm confident they'll add depth on the line. I've got to assume with getting Plex on the cheap, 1 year deal, we'll have plenty of money to sign veteran depth...maybe even bring back Ellis or Pryce or JT. who knows, but I'm sure we'll add some vets.

I think so on signing a veteran but Cromartie will cut into that available money I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze

Now the Jets are closing in on a deal for their free-agent cornerback Antonio Cromartie.

UberSocial for BlackBerry • 7/31/11 11:31 AM

Per Schefter

Looks like u will all get your wish looks like he is coming back, the Jets let that agency use them that's gonna hurt in future years during FA.

Ok I'm done bitching it's time for me to start cheering for him now, come on Cro be big.

I think so on signing a veteran but Cromartie will cut into that available money I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze

Getting Plexico instead of a young Edwards, Jones, Floyd, etc...saved us a 2-3 mill a year. That should be enough to do what we need to do to get depth.

And I disagree on Cro. He's a good player and he fits the man scheme well. He was clutch for the Jets in Revis's absence. He was even HUGE in the return game vs the Colts. I think he was the 2nd best corner on the market.

Archived