Jets Showing Early Interest In Phillip Dorsett, WR "The U"

Villain The Foe

We have a problem with game breaking plays. Dorsett fits the mould as a player who could break the game open. He's also a very dangerous man when he has the ball in his hands, a perfect player for Chan Gailey to kick start his offense.

We'll have more information in our scouting report of Dorsett later this month.

How do you figure he is a fit for Gailey offense or at least the offense that he ran in Buffalo or wherever he coached. Gailey's offense is similar to what McDaniels is running up in NE. he does a lot of hooks and curls.  To me he is more of a post or 9 route guy

How do you figure he is a fit for Gailey offense or at least the offense that he ran in Buffalo or wherever he coached. Gailey's offense is similar to what McDaniels is running up in NE. he does a lot of hooks and curls.  To me he is more of a post or 9 route guy

Do you know how many openings you can create for hooks and curls in the defense when they have to legitimately respect the 9 route in a spread? One of the most important things you need to have in a spread is speed. 

Also, not that I know much about the WR, I simply found the article, but I doubt that this kids route tree is limited to just the fly. The fact that he can get behind the defense must be respected by safeties which will do wonders for tight ends such as amaro running seam routes. And if a team decides to just man him up then I prefer to have his spead against an NFL corner one on one. 

Do you know how many openings you can create for hooks and curls in the defense when they have to legitimately respect the 9 route in a spread? One of the most important things you need to have in a spread is speed. 

Also, not that I know much about the WR, I simply found the article, but I doubt that this kids route tree is limited to just the fly. The fact that he can get behind the defense must be respected by safeties which will do wonders for tight ends such as amaro running seam routes. And if a team decides to just man him up then I prefer to have his spread against an NFL corner one on one. 

I understand that he has value as a decoy and someone who may help draw a safety, but that can be had by signing Britt or Torrey Smith or the like for somewhat small money and keep the pick. Best case is that the jets work a deal with SF and reunite Steve Johnson and Gailey.

Hardy is a pretty good receiver and it wouldnt be a bad idea to take him. But in regards to what is needed on this team, Hardy doesnt fit that bill especially if people are not fans of resigning Harvin. 

If we cut Harvin and can't resign him for decent money, we need someone with more speed than Hardy.  I am not knocking him but he reminds me of Jericho Cotchery and we already have a possesion receiver in Decker; Smith or Dorsett would make this offense much more dangerous.  In fact with the money saved by not signing Harvin I would sign Spiller.

If we cut Harvin and can't resign him for decent money, we need someone with more speed than Hardy.  I am not knocking him but he reminds me of Jericho Cotchery and we already have a possesion receiver in Decker; Smith or Dorsett would make this offense much more dangerous.  In fact with the money saved by not signing Harvin I would sign Spiller.

I agree. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. We can draft Devin Smith from Ohio State. He's taller than Harvin and he runs a 4.32 40 time and not a 4.41 40 that Harvin ran. Devin Smith was highly under utilized in Ohio. Smith is considered to have the best Vertical route runner in college football and he really turned it on when Cardale Jones started at QB because he had the arm to take advantage of Smith's speed and hands.

My only thing is that his run blocking looks pretty poor. If we are running a spread all of the WR's are going to have to be respectable blockers.

Justin Hardy can block VERY well.

Archived