USA vs Mexico Soccer tonight 6/11/17

Fantasy Island

My interest in US soccer has waned a bit, but the sport itself is very strong. 

Glad to see we got a somewhat positive result last night.  Far cry from where I thought we'd be after making it out of the Group of Death in '14 (dominating this region of the world on a regular basis) but given that qualifying for the WC is still relatively easy for us, gotta think we've always got a shot to make noise on the world stage. 

Mexico was mostly flat.  We easily should have won the game 1-0.  Possibly 2-0 if Gonzalez can finish.  

His chip was the best thing I've ever seen Michael Bradley do.   Equalizer by Mexico was inexcusable, especially from that distance.  Horrible defense by Beasley and rest of the D on that side.  Plus, everyone and their mother knew the shot was going right except the Guzan, who I still can't believe is the best goalkeeper we can put on the field.   If Howard were in goal?  We finally win one in Azteca.

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Mexico was mostly flat.  We easily should have won the game 1-0.  Possibly 2-0 if Gonzalez can finish.  

His chip was the best thing I've ever seen Michael Bradley do.   Equalizer by Mexico was inexcusable, especially from that distance.  Horrible defense by Beasley and rest of the D on that side.  Plus, everyone and their mother knew the shot was going right except the Guzan, who I still can't believe is the best goalkeeper we can put on the field.   If Howard were in goal?  We finally win one in Azteca.

I only pay attention to World Cup but last time I kept wondering what the deal was w Bradley. They kept touting him yet he looked like the worst player on the field everytine I watched..

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I only pay attention to World Cup but last time I kept wondering what the deal was w Bradley. They kept touting him yet he looked like the worst player on the field everytine I watched..

A lot of people feel that way.  Hell, I find myself feeling that way at times.  But no player in US Soccer history is asked to do more for this team than Michael Bradley does.  He needs to set up attacks AND help our weak defense...all game long.  He doesn't have the luxury to focus on one or the other like many quality midfielders do on their national teams.

In Brazil, he ran more miles during matches than any other player in the WC field by a very wide margin.  And that's very tough to do (and still play at a high level) in that climate when you're not used to South American weather. 

He's been a key player for so many years, under several different coaches, who have known this. 

15 minutes ago, HessStation said:

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A lot of people feel that way.  Hell, I find myself feeling that way at times.  But no player in US Soccer history is asked to do more for this team than Michael Bradley does.  He needs to set up attacks AND help our weak defense...all game long.  He doesn't have the luxury to focus on one or the other like many quality midfielders do on their national teams.

In Brazil, he ran more miles during matches than any other player in the WC field by a very wide margin.  And that's very tough to do (and still play at a high level) in that climate when you're not used to South American weather. 

He's been a key player for so many years, under several different coaches, who have known this. 

My problem with Bradley is that he is touted as the "maestro" who should be setting players up constantly.  I almost never see that.  Plus, his overall pace is abysmal.  I like the kid.  Just don't think he fits the bill as the playmaker.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

My problem with Bradley is that he is touted as the "maestro" who should be setting players up constantly.  I almost never see that.  Plus, his overall pace is abysmal.  I like the kid.  Just don't think he fits the bill as the playmaker.

In a perfect world Bradley would have been a CDM (Central Defensive Midfielder, for the laymen), and we'd leave the attack to someone else.

Sadly, A quality attacking midfielder is something we just always seem to lack, and its so important that we find one.  The best in the world do it with such skill AND add a little extra "flair" that we just don't have.  Our midfielders tend to be extremely hard workers but lack that extra athletic skill. 

Excellent goalies, good or decent attackers, average midfielders and terrible defenders.  That seems to be what the US produces most years.  Though Guzan is the first goalie in a long time in US soccer history that fails to live up to the "excellent" label. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

In a perfect world Bradley would have been a CDM (Central Defensive Midfielder, for the laymen), and we'd leave the attack to someone else.

Sadly, A quality attacking midfielder is something we just always seem to lack, and its so important that we find one.  The best in the world do it with such skill AND add a little extra "flair" that we just don't have.  Our midfielders tend to be extremely hard workers but lack that extra athletic skill. 

You said it, dude.  Bunch of ham & eggers who can't contribute very much to scoring and playmaking.  

Gotta tell you, I love what Pulisic is showing with USMST and at Borussia.  Wish he had been more involved in the offense last night.  That kid can play on any level.

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

You said it, dude.  Bunch of ham & eggers who can't contribute very much to scoring and playmaking.  

Gotta tell you, I love what Pulisic is showing with USMST and at Borussia.  Wish he had been more involved in the offense last night.  That kid can play on any level.

I wonder what's harder:  For the Jets to find a franchise QB or the USMNT to find a quality CAM?

Archived