Saltmacchia in trouble?

Matt39

" Saltalamacchia's analysis of what went on at home plate after Francisco Cervelli's fourth-inning home run raised some eyebrows among reporters in the Red Sox clubhouse.

"It's just the Latin players," Saltalamacchia said about Cervelli's passionate clap as he touched home. "That's the way they play the game. It's OK to an extent. If you go a little further than that, that's when you need to step back."

Saltalamacchia later retracted the statement and indicated that he intended to say that younger players are sometimes brought up with a different code than some of the veterans in the league.

As Red Sox Insider Sean McAdam noted, Saltalamacchia might catch some scrutiny for his comments, which could be perceived as racial stereotyping.

It'll be interesting to see if any of Saltalamacchia's Latin teammates respond to their catcher's comments. The Red Sox employ two of the most popular Latin players in the league in David Ortiz and Adrian Gonzalez, and they could do a lot to diffuse the situation if Saltalamacchia's comments are criticized.

Cervelli, 25, is of Italian descent but grew up in Venezuela."

" Saltalamacchia's analysis of what went on at home plate after Francisco Cervelli's fourth-inning home run raised some eyebrows among reporters in the Red Sox clubhouse.

"It's just the Latin players," Saltalamacchia said about Cervelli's passionate clap as he touched home. "That's the way they play the game. It's OK to an extent. If you go a little further than that, that's when you need to step back."

Saltalamacchia later retracted the statement and indicated that he intended to say that younger players are sometimes brought up with a different code than some of the veterans in the league.

As Red Sox Insider Sean McAdam noted, Saltalamacchia might catch some scrutiny for his comments, which could be perceived as racial stereotyping.

It'll be interesting to see if any of Saltalamacchia's Latin teammates respond to their catcher's comments. The Red Sox employ two of the most popular Latin players in the league in David Ortiz and Adrian Gonzalez, and they could do a lot to diffuse the situation if Saltalamacchia's comments are criticized.

Cervelli, 25, is of Italian descent but grew up in Venezuela."

Boy that's not out of context or anything. Ortiz has already spoken about this yesterday. Might want to get a recent, relevant article. Here's one:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/6914651/boston-red-sox-jarrod-saltalamacchia-clarifies-comments-new-york-yankees-francisco-cervelli

Jarrod Saltalamacchia clarifies remarksBy Joe McDonald

ESPNBoston.com

Archive

BOSTON -- Latin teammates of Boston Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia have no issue with the statement he made about New York Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli following Tuesday night's game.

When asked for his thoughts about Cervelli's celebratory clap at home plate after he hit only his second home run of the season, Saltalamacchia raised a few eyebrows with his comment.

"The game is changing," Saltalamacchia said Tuesday. "Younger guys are coming in, (Rangers shortstop) Elvis Andrus and (Blue Jays shortstop Yunel) Escobar, a lot of Latin players and that's the way they play the game. It's OK to an extent, but if you go further than that, than that's when you've got to kind of step back."

A few minutes later in the clubhouse, Saltalamacchia attempted to clarify what he meant.

"Let me clarify: I wasn't trying to say 'Latin players' or any of that stuff. I meant he's an emotional guy," Saltalamacchia said. "The younger guys who are coming up now are real emotional players. They're young players coming up, wanting to make a name, wanting to stick around and the game has changed a little bit from when the older guys were coming up, veterans were a key in their development.

"So basically I was just saying that (Cervelli is) a real emotional guy. I have no issues with him doing what he does because that's the player he is."

Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz defended his teammate's comments.

"He's a great kid. I mean, we are like that for real," Ortiz said with a laugh. "Sometimes we kind of forget about where we're playing at and we do things that we brought from my country, but he's such a great dude. I don't think he meant anything bad. He was telling you the truth, you know what I'm saying? Salty's a sweet dude, he come every day here and he give me a hug, you know what I'm saying, and I'm Latin."

Saltalamacchia again clarified his statements on Wednesday.

"Like I said, no disrespect, if anything I was defending (Cervelli) , trying to make it known that I understand that's the type of player he is, he's an exciting player, so I meant no disrespect. ... He even said it the other day, I heard him say it, that's the way he plays, he gets excited, he likes to go out there and be passionate, he loves the game and I respect that," Saltalamacchia said. "I love seeing guys out there that love the game, respect the game and go out there and play hard. ... Nobody took it the wrong way. I think everyone took it the way it was meant."

Joe McDonald covers the Red Sox for ESPNBoston.com. Ian O'Connor of ESPNNewYork.com contributed to this report.

Yeah- he's backtracking on saying something that a lot would construe as stereotypical.

He wasn't taken out of context at all. That's like saying James Harrison was taken out of context when he called Goodell a faggot.

The quote in your article sounds a lot worse than the quote in every other article I've read. That's what I meant by out of context. Ortiz even said what Salty said was correct. I don't see this as being an issue at all.

The quote in your article sounds a lot worse than the quote in every other article I've read. That's what I meant by out of context. Ortiz even said what Salty said was correct. I don't see this as being an issue at all.

I don't think it's an issue either. If that's how he feels, that's how he feels. But he definitely wasnt taken out of context.

I don't think it's an issue either. If that's how he feels, that's how he feels. But he definitely wasnt taken out of context.

You don't think it's an issue but you posted that he's in trouble? There is no validity to that notion at all. He's not in trouble, has the right to his opinion, and said what he felt. Your quote was wrong, plain and simple. That quote used in the article was taken out of context.

At the very least, he doesn't talk about himself in the third person, like some overzealous young catcher does. ::Clap::

I posted that he could be in trouble. which he obviously could be...because a lot of sensitive folks will cry about any sort of stereotyping. I just posted the article.

And also, who cares if Cervelli claps? Who cares if he gets thrown at? The unwritten rules of baseball are ridiculous and probably a reason the sport is going downhill.

I posted that he could be in trouble. which he obviously could be...because a lot of sensitive folks will cry about any sort of stereotyping. I just posted the article.

And also, who cares if Cervelli claps? Who cares if he gets thrown at? The unwritten rules of baseball are ridiculous and probably a reason the sport is going downhill.

You haphazardly posted an old article that had incorrect quotes in it. If you want to make a big deal about it, might as well get it right.

Obviously some people cared about both of your questions. The sport is going downhill because of the lack of balance in competitiveness, not because people get hit.

You haphazardly posted an old article that had incorrect quotes in it. If you want to make a big deal about it, might as well get it right.

Obviously some people cared about both of your questions. The sport is going downhill because of the lack of balance in competitiveness, not because people get hit.

How exactly was the quote incorrect? Are you disputing those words didn't come out of his mouth?

And I like when people show emotion, clap, throw at people and brawl. if anything that's great for the sport.

How exactly was the quote incorrect? Are you disputing those words didn't come out of his mouth?

And I like when people show emotion, clap, throw at people and brawl. if anything that's great for the sport.

The first part of your quote isn't in any other publication I have read. He didn't say it's just the Latin Players.

Archived