Which 4 of these teams will make the playoffs?

Jetsfan80

Since 1983, only 24 % of NFL teams that lost their first game made the playoffs. Now, due to the lockout making things crazy this season, its possible that much higher or lower a percentage of Week 1 losers will make the postseason.

But let's say that this season the numbers hold up. That means that only FOUR teams who lost in Week 1 will end up in the postseason. So which 4 do you think will get in? My choices are in bold.

NOTE: Keep in mind that at least ONE of these teams must come from the NFC South, seeing as each team in their entire division lost this weekend.

The losers:

Miami Dolphins

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cleveland Browns

Tennessee Titans

Indianapolis Colts

Kansas City Chiefs

Denver Broncos

New York Giants

Dallas Cowboys

Minnesota Vikings

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Carolina Panthers

Atlanta Falcons

Seattle Seahawks

St. Louis Rams

Since 1983, only 24 % of NFL teams that lost their first game made the playoffs. Now, due to the lockout making things crazy this season, its possible that much higher or lower a percentage of Week 1 losers will make the postseason.

But let's say that this season the numbers hold up. That means that only FOUR teams who lost in Week 1 will end up in the postseason. So which 4 do you think will get in? My choices are in bold.

NOTE: Keep in mind that at least ONE of these teams must come from the NFC South, seeing as each team in their entire division lost this weekend.

The losers:

Miami Dolphins

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cleveland Browns

Tennessee Titans

Indianapolis Colts

Kansas City Chiefs

Denver Broncos

New York Giants

Dallas Cowboys

Minnesota Vikings

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Carolina Panthers

Atlanta Falcons

Seattle Seahawks

St. Louis Rams

Interesting. I'd say Falcons, Saints - one will win the division the other will make the WC.

Then I'd say Steelers and Giants.

The Giants? Even after all of their injuries and Eli's still erratic play?

Yeah I think the Giants are done. Usually they start strong and limp to the finish line. Right now they're already limping. They just lost a divisional game against a team they usually own (I think they'd won something like 8 of the past 10 matchups?).

Coughlin will be the first head coach fired this season, I'd say. Only reason he's still there is the lockout; teams needed to maintain continuity if at all possible.

Yep. I think once they get healthy they will win the division. Why? I have no clue. Its just my call.

Eventhough I h8u. I've actually liked your recent topics.

But half those players that are injured are on IR. Given, the Giants still have a great DL and will have a lot of success at getting to the QB. But the secondary and now Nicks is hurt, who btw, I'm kicking myself for drafting that twig.

But half those players that are injured are on IR. Given, the Giants still have a great DL and will have a lot of success at getting to the QB. But the secondary and now Nicks is hurt, who btw, I'm kicking myself for drafting that twig.

Oh, I though I heard a bunch of players were coming back/getting healthy. And didnt the test come back negative for Nicks?

Oh, I though I heard a bunch of players were coming back/getting healthy. And didnt the test come back negative for Nicks?

Nicks tests did come back negative but he's doubtful and has had a tough time staying healthy ever since he got into the NFL. He's not very durable and I'm sure his knee issue will linger. As far as everyone else, this is what I was just looking at for reference:

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/injuries/nfl/nyg/

Nicks tests did come back negative but he's doubtful and has had a tough time staying healthy ever since he got into the NFL. He's not very durable and I'm sure his knee issue will linger. As far as everyone else, this is what I was just looking at for reference:

http://www.rotoworld...juries/nfl/nyg/

The source for Nicks being "doubtful" was John Clayton. Enough said.

nicks will play monday night, also they get tuck back monday and they are even saying osi could be back this week.. if they stay healthy among dline that group will be a force.. tuck is obviously nasty, osi is a great pass rushing de and jpp is coming into his own, add in that canty is playing good for them and linvall joseph knows how to collapse a pocket and get a solid push, that dline will be huge for there dfence.. i expect them to also play better in the secondary, they have some good players in rolle cwebb and kphill

I have some backups but yeah I think I need more volume.

I currently have, Dez Bryant, Steve Johnson, Knox, Malcom Floyd.

No, I'm not talking about depth. I'm talking about taking players who will have the most opportunities to make plays. A # 1 receiver, even if he's only average by NFL standards, could still get more points than a more talented player who has competition to see the ball.

Hence why the WR's I have in my main league are all pretty much the only legit options for their respective teams (Kenny Britt, Brandon Lloyd, Anquan Boldin, Percy Harvin). Same with my RB's (Ray Rice, Michael Turner, Felix Jones, Fred Jackson, Cedric Benson).

No, I'm not talking about depth. I'm talking about taking players who will have the most opportunities to make plays. A # 1 receiver, even if he's only average by NFL standards, could still get more points than a more talented player who has competition to see the ball.

Hence why the WR's I have in my main league are all pretty much the only legit options for their respective teams (Kenny Britt, Brandon Lloyd, Anquan Boldin, Percy Harvin). Same with my RB's (Ray Rice, Michael Turner, Felix Jones, Fred Jackson, Cedric Benson).

Good point. Are you in a ppr league? Cause some players are better depending on the type of league you are in.

The losers:

Miami Dolphins

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cleveland Browns

Tennessee Titans

Indianapolis Colts

Kansas City Chiefs

Denver Broncos

New York Giants

Dallas Cowboys

Minnesota Vikings

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Carolina Panthers

Atlanta Falcons

Seattle Seahawks

St. Louis Rams

New Orleans, Dallas, Atlanta. There won't be four this year.

Misleading stats are misleading...

I hate the whole, "OH this hasn't happened since 1980" so it suddenly matters. Stats like that are selectively manipulated, taken from a selective time period, usually to somehow say it indicates reality. It does not. The Cowboys haven't blown a 14 point 4th quarter lead and lost EVER, until the Jets. Jets never won in Pittsburgh, until last season. Guess who lost the 1st game last season and still made playoffs? We did, so the Colts AND the Eagles AND Atlanta. What matters is how good the team is RIGHT NOW and whether they have a realistic shot of making it. Trying to figure a percentage is bad logic. Chiefs, Falcons, Giants, Cowboys, Steelers and Rams have a decent chance of making it. 1 game is 1 game.

I hate the whole, "OH this hasn't happened since 1980" so it suddenly matters. Stats like that are selectively manipulated, taken from a selective time period, usually to somehow say it indicates reality. It does not. The Cowboys haven't blown a 14 point 4th quarter lead and lost EVER, until the Jets. Jets never won in Pittsburgh, until last season. Guess who lost the 1st game last season and still made playoffs? We did, so the Colts AND the Eagles AND Atlanta. What matters is how good the team is RIGHT NOW and whether they have a realistic shot of making it. Trying to figure a percentage is bad logic. Chiefs, Falcons, Giants, Cowboys, Steelers and Rams have a decent chance of making it. 1 game is 1 game.

you are 100% right

lol. It's called odds man, it doesn't mean they always come true. This is a large sample we're talking about. Over the course of nearly 30 years of football, starting 0-1 has been a death blow for about 10-12 teams ever year. Of course it matters if its a trend, and its not illogical. If this is the year a bunch of teams buck that trend, cool.

Can you honestly say the numbers won't line up pretty closely this year as well? Do you really think teams like the Chiefs, Broncos, Colts or Seahawks have any shot at making the postseason? They looked like bad teams out there.

Also, you mentioned 4 teams that lost their first game and made the postseason last year. Well that's 25 % of the teams that started 0-1. Looks like the numbers are correct after all, huh.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Steelers miss the playoffs out right.

The Ravens could end up becoming a 13-3, 12-4 type of team. They're defense is forreal and their offense has been improving over the years. This isn't the Raven days of the early 2000's, where the defense had to win out right. This offense is an offense that can take over drives, quarters and games. I love Flacco under center, and I respect the hell out of this kid from Rutgers in Ray Rice. Not saying that it'll happen, but if the Ravens beat the Steelers to complete the two game sweep, the Steelers find themself back of the Ravens by two full games, plus the head to head tie breaker. In that scenario, the Ravens going 13-3 or 12-4 and actually sweeping the Steelers? Say good night to the Steelers chances of winning the AFC North.

Someone has to win the AFC West. I've made it known time and time again, during the offseason, that the AFC West goes through the Chargers. What the Chiefs did last year was impressive, but they could have also been a product of a weaker schedule. As it stands, the Chargers and Ravens could both finish ahead of the Steelers. Say the Jets and Patriots both make the playoffs, for the 3rd consecutive year out of the AFC East, that leaves the Ravens, Chargers, Jets and Patriots all ahead of the Steelers. 4 teams. Only 2 spots left. Give the Houston Texans the AFC South just for an example, because we all know it's won't become the Colts without #18. 1 spot left. It's a dog-fight from there. Raiders could become a serious player out of the AFC. Same can be said about the Steelers etc, etc, but... You never know when it's only week 1.

To make a long story short, if the Steelers lose to the 0-1 Seahawks this sunday, being 0-2? It won't be easy.

Archived