Giants Cardinals doubles Yankee playoff game TV rating in New York

Matt39

http://www.nytimes.c...aukee.html?_r=1

As Mike and Evan will talk baseball for 12 consecutive hours, because NY is a "baseball town" first...this kind of shows what most New Yorkers realize. Football is king.

Football Beats Baseball in New York and Milwaukee

By RICHARD SANDOMIR

For more than two hours Sunday, viewers in the New York market could choose between watching Game 2 of the Yankees-Tigers league division series and the Giants-Cardinals football game.

A similar choice was available to viewers in the Milwaukee market when the Packers-Broncos game overlapped with Game 2 of the Brewers-Diamondbacks division series.

Through most of the time the games overlapped, the Giants-Cardinals broadcast on Fox had a big ratings edge in the New York market. From 5:15 to 5:30 p.m., the football game’s rating of 13.1 was nearly twice the 6.8 for the Yankee game on TNT.

The baseball game had a slight edge at 4 p.m., when the football game was starting, but football was then well ahead until 6:30 to 6:45, when the Yankee game had a 12.5 to a 10.6 for the Giants.

Each rating point equals 75,153 television households in the New York market.

In Milwaukee, the Brewers’ 9-4 victory on TBS drew a considerable audience but rarely exceeded the one for the Packers’ 49-23 win. The rating for the Brewers’ game grew steadily from a 7.9 at 5 p.m. to its 29.9 peak from 7:15 to 7:30, when it was greater than the 16.2 rating for the last segment of the Packers’ blowout. The Packers’ game reached its highest point of a 48.1 from 6:30 to 7:45. Each rating point in the Milwaukee market, which is among the overnight markets measured by Nielsen, equals 9,011 viewers.

Fantasy football has pretty much guaranteed that NFL will always trump MLB. I know a lot of people hate on fantasy sports, but it has done wonders for the league.

I literally threw a party for last nights game in hopes of Blount getting me 20 pts. In years past I would have NEVER watched that game.

I literally threw a party for last nights game in hopes of Blount getting me 20 pts. In years past I would have NEVER watched that game.

I can't imagine it was a very exciting party considering the teams playing. If you wanna throw a good party, make it a themed party.....like a Human Centipede party, that'll go over great.

Archived