Jets Release Colin Baxter and Matt Kroul

Maxman

by Phil Sullivan on October 25, 2011[edit]

in Jet News

jets.gif

The New York Jets have announced that they released rookie Center Colin Baxter from the active roster and OL Matt Kroul from the practice squad. It will be interesting to see what moves are behind this and who will fill these roster spots. Baxter was thrown into action and struggled earlier this season when Nick Mangold was out with an ankle injury. It was assumed that Baxter would be a long term project on the offensive line but it appears that it has come to an end.

Here is the official release from the NY Jets:

The New York Jets have waived
C Colin Baxter
and released
OL Matt Kroul
from the practice squad. The announcements were made by General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Baxter (C/6-3/310/Arizona/Rolling Hills, CA)
was claimed off waivers from the San Diego Chargers (09/04/11) after originally entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent (07/27/11). He started two of the three games he played this season in place of injured C Nick Mangold.

Kroul (OL/6-3/300/Iowa/Mount Vernon, IA)
was signed to the practice squad (09/04/11) after being waived (09/03/11). After the 2010 season, the former defensive tackle was signed to a reserve/future contract (01/26/11). He spent the first 15 weeks of the 2010 season on the active roster, seeing action in six games and recording two tackles. Kroul originally joined the Jets as an undrafted free agent (05/01/09) and spent the season as a member of the practice squad (09/07/09).

Tagged as: colin baxter

Am I wrong or have we now dropped 3 players in recent days? Lots of drops for this time of year.

Shame, I thought Baxter was impressive considering the situation and the expectations for him.

yea, Michael Campbell yesterday. The Jets always do this crap though with the PS players. It's actually a cool thing for these guys I guess.

yea, Michael Campbell yesterday. The Jets always do this crap though with the PS players. It's actually a cool thing for these guys I guess.

Given that Turner is on IR, we have no respectable backups on the line. Why do you think they would cut 2 OL right now? I don't get it... Baxter, to me, was probably your #1 guy off the bench at C/G. Unless they like "other dude whose name I can't spell."

Given that Turner is on IR, we have no respectable backups on the line. Why do you think they would cut 2 OL right now? I don't get it... Baxter, to me, was probably your #1 guy off the bench at C/G. Unless they like "other dude whose name I can't spell."

i dont like this cut at all..

If I had to guess, Kroul's release from the PS is probably to open up a space for Baxter to be signed there once he clears waivers. And I'm guessing they already have somebody in mind to sign to the active roster which is the reason behind Baxter's release. The fact that Ducasse has been seeing more PT lately tells you they're probably happy with his progress through this season which also helped them feel comfortable with this move.

If I had to guess, Kroul's release from the PS is probably to open up a space for Baxter to be signed there once he clears waivers. And I'm guessing they already have somebody in mind to sign to the active roster which is the reason behind Baxter's release. The fact that Ducasse has been seeing more PT lately tells you they're probably happy with his progress through this season which also helped them feel comfortable with this move.

Hey BG, did you see the one play that Hunter went out on the other day? It was one of those where the whistle gets blown a second after the ball is snapped and thank God for that because the guy Ducasse had flew around him and was already by him-again Sanchez would have been killed because of that craptastic #62. Not surpringly Hunter went right back in there the next play...

I dont think Baxter was all that bad physically he just missed assignments and got whiffed.... When he engaged players he held his own, I mean its not like he got run over . He probably had no time at all to really learn this offense and was just thrown in there with the short camp and all it just added to the mess. Much rather have him around than Ducasse who got away with a blatent false start last week the one freakin play he was in .

Archived