Patriots Journal: Brady, not Sanchez, is now the struggling quarterback

Jetfan13

01:00 AM Eastern Standard Time on Thursday, November 10, 2011

By PAUL KENYON

Journal Sports Writer

FOXBORO — Five weeks ago, when the Jets were getting ready to visit Gillette Stadium to play the Patriots, one of the prime subjects of debate was whether one of the quarterbacks could avoid mistakes, so as not to hurt his team.

As the rivals prepare to meet again on Sunday at the Meadowlands, the subject of a quarterback having turnover problems is front and center again. Except this time it is not the Jets’ Mark Sanchez, but rather the Patriots’ Tom Brady who is having the problems.

Brady threw two interceptions Sunday in the loss to the Giants, giving him 10 on the season, within four of his career high. He also lost a fumble on a strip sack. The Patriots, who led the league in turnover margin last season, now have had as many turnovers as takeaways, 14. That leaves them in a tie for 15th in the league in that department and four behind the Jets.

The Pats have had four turnovers in three games this season. The last time they had four in at least three games was in 1999.

Brady has a simple explanation for his problems.

“Just decision-making. I’ve just got to make better decisions,” he said Wednesday at his weekly meeting with reporters.

“I mean, some teams have gotten their hands on some balls and tipped some balls. Every team does that. Every team tries to bat balls down, especially when they feel like they’re engaged and they see the quarterback,” he said. “You throw the ball and they get their hand on it and make a play. It’s just part of the game and part of football. You try to not have it happen as an offense. When it does, you just move on.”

“I think you can look at each play and obviously there’s something that went wrong,” coach Bill Belichick responded when asked about the turnover issue. “A couple balls have been tipped, a couple balls I’m sure he’d like to have back. I’d say for the most part, I think he’s throwing to the right guy.

“There’s something about the pass, the route, the catch, the whatever it is, the ball isn’t ending up in our hands. I’d say for the most part, he’s making good reads and he’s going to the right guy,” Belichick said.

Jets coach Rex Ryan had a bit of a different take — surprise — when asked about Brady’s issues. He pointed out that many of the comparisons are being made to the four interceptions Brady had last year, which set an NFL record. Asking him to do that again is asking too much, Ryan said.

“Without Peyton (Manning) playing, I’d say he’s the best QB in the league right now,” Ryan said.

Players added

Most of the conversation around the Patriots centered on Albert Haynesworth Wednesday, but he was only one part of a series of personnel moves the team made.

With their showdown with the Jets looming on Sunday, the Pats made several moves that seem directed at improving their special teams, an area Belichick singled out as being in need of improvement.

Linebacker Niko Koutouvides, a veteran who has worked on special units for three other teams, was signed to the 53-man roster, joining Tiquan Underwood, a potential kick returner, who was signed Tuesday. Also, defensive back Sterling Moore was signed to the practice squad.

Josh Barrett, a safety who has been in and out of the lineup all season, was placed on injured reserve because of a calf injury.

The team also signed two players for the practice squad who have been coming and going all season, defensive backs Ross Ventrone and Josh Victorian. To make room, the team released defensive back and special teams player Malcolm Williams, who also have been with the team several times this season.

That could hurt

Placing Barrett on the injured reserve list further depletes an already thin position for the Pats.

The situation could be even worse. Patrick Chung, the one stabilizing factor at safety for the team, did not practice Wednesday because of a foot injury.

Linebacker Brandon Spikes (knee), lineman Ryan Wendell (concussion) and linebacker Dane Fletcher (thumb) also did not practice. Wes Welker (rib), Kyle Arrington (foot) and Gary Guyton (shoulder) all were added to the injury list and were limited at practice.

For the Jets, Plaxico Burress (low back), Joe McKnight (toe) and Brodney Pool (knee) all did not practice.

Jets coach Rex Ryan had a bit of a different take — surprise — when asked about Brady’s issues. He pointed out that many of the comparisons are being made to the four interceptions Brady had last year, which set an NFL record. Asking him to do that again is asking too much, Ryan said.

“Without Peyton (Manning) playing, I’d say he’s the best QB in the league right now,” Ryan said.

Fat man musn't be watching nfc games

Fat man musn't be watching nfc games

Yeah, I thought the same thing, but in all likelihood with the exception of the Super Bowl Rex probably hasn't watched a minute of tape on Rodgers since they played last year. Not to mention, Rex always seems to like being an a$$-kiss to the Pats whenever we're playing them, with the exception of ranking Peyton ahead of Brady.

Archived