Going after Manning--Rock and a hard place

bbatelli

Ok, so after noon today the hysteria begins. Who will land Manning? As a die hard Jets fan, I am so conflicted on this. This can be huge for the franchise direction either way.

Take a couple things into account.

1. Lets say the Jets land Manning. What impact does this have on the cap and what holes that are there today cannot be filled. Also, what if Manning takes a huge blind side hit (very likely with Wayne Hunter) and is out for the season? So basic needs are not filled and Manning is out. Season done.

Secondly, lets say the Jets win the Super Bowl with him. From a tradition stand point, is he the face of the franchise? Will have the recognized as the savior like Namath, or just a piece that happened to get them that year? He will always be known as Colt. No doubt.

2. The pursuit of Manning does not work. Where does that leave the franchise and Mark Sanchez? As a franchise, you are recognizing that you can't win with Sanchez. Now you have to keep him but you basically announced to the fan base we will never win. Also, I know this is not a big deal but how will Sanchez react? Will the players believe in him, even thought the franchise does not?

So basically, if they get him and it works out and Peyton leads them to the promised land, everything will be great for that moment. But the future of the franchise and continuing with the winning attitude can be negatively impacted either way.

Ok, so after noon today the hysteria begins. Who will land Manning? As a die hard Jets fan, I am so conflicted on this. This can be huge for the franchise direction either way.

1. Lets say the Jets land Manning. What impact does this have on the cap and what holes that are there today cannot be filled. Also, what if Manning takes a huge blind side hit (very likely with Wayne Hunter) and is out for the season? So basic needs are not filled and Manning is out. Season done.

I don't know about what the cap implications are, but you don't base a strategy on what if my franchise QB gets knocked out for the season. If Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers etc. get knocked out for a season, your season is done. That's not something that's different for any franchise. Look at the Texans. They had a beast of a defense with elite pass rushers and an improved secondary. They have arguably the best WR in the game and one of the best running backs in the league. Schaub gets IRed. season was over for them.

Secondly, lets say the Jets win the Super Bowl with him. From a tradition stand point, is he the face of the franchise? Will have the recognized as the savior like Namath, or just a piece that happened to get them that year? He will always be known as Colt. No doubt.

Everything beyond "Super Bowl with him" is irrelevant.

2. The pursuit of Manning does not work. Where does that leave the franchise and Mark Sanchez? As a franchise, you are recognizing that you can't win with Sanchez. Now you have to keep him but you basically announced to the fan base we will never win. Also, I know this is not a big deal but how will Sanchez react? Will the players believe in him, even thought the franchise does not?

The Jets have given Sanchez three full seasons in which he has failed to produce at a consistent level. If you choose to go with Manning, then you end the Sanchez experiment. Plain and simple. Not only would he be a woefully overpaid back-up, but he's definitely going to ask out if he gets replaced.

The Jets are interested in Manning, that much is clear. The only real concern you should be having is how does this play out if we go for Manning and then fail.

So basically, if they get him and it works out and Peyton leads them to the promised land, everything will be great for that moment. But the future of the franchise and continuing with the winning attitude can be negatively impacted either way.

See above.

theres no rock and a hard place. Manning makes this team a SB favorite. Period.

He's willing to play for an incentive based contract to boot... Most of which would be NLTBE (unless last negotiation changed the rules).. Just about all incentives will be NLTBE since he sat out last year, allowing them to defer

cap hit to 2013

And if Sanchez is too fragile a person to handle a failed pursuit of an all time great, then he's not the guy.., he just isn't... 0 mental toughness

I meant if Sanchez is here. After it is all said and done and the players know that that ownership does not respect Sanchez, what impact will that have?

Its Peyton Manning. Mark Sanchez's mom even knows that Mark is not in the same league. Its not about not respecting Sanchez, its about Peyton being leaps and bounds a superior player even while being old and gimpy.

Pointman, let me start over.

If the Jets pursue Manning and do not get him. That leaves them with Sanchez. Hurt feelings aside he has to play. But what respect would the other players have for Sanchez when they know ownership was going to toss him overboard.

Pointman, let me start over.

If the Jets pursue Manning and do not get him. That leaves them with Sanchez. Hurt feelings aside he has to play. But what respect would the other players have for Sanchez when they know ownership was going to toss him overboard.

The same as they always had... little to none.

The front office making a move for Peyton doesn't change that. Lets say Mark is a good quarterback (even though we know he is not). Going after someone who is much better doesn't mean they lack respect for Mark, its a sign of wanting to upgrade. It didn't work out. No big deal. This is professional sports, it happens all the time. Its as if the stacked Eagles wanted to go after Darrelle Revis if he was available. Doesn't mean they don't have confidence in their good corners, it just means they tried to upgrade.

theres no rock and a hard place. Manning makes this team a SB favorite. Period.

He's willing to play for an incentive based contract to boot... Most of which would be NLTBE (unless last negotiation changed the rules).. Just about all incentives will be NLTBE since he sat out last year, allowing them to defer

cap hit to 2013

And if Sanchez is too fragile a person to handle a failed pursuit of an all time great, then he's not the guy.., he just isn't... 0 mental toughness

It's over Johnny. Now go get you boots and head home.

If we get him go ahead and take a Right Tackle with our first rounder. We have enough weapons on offense to work if he's running it. You want to talk about holes on a roster? look at the Colts this year. He would have won 10+ games every year with that garbage

What tradition stand point are we talking about? 40+ years of ineptitude with no end in sight? If it becomes a problem they can divie up NY. Manning can even learn a thing or two from Joe. He can back him up for a couple decades, then get a fanny pack and start blasting us in the media when Joe retires.

So you think winning a Super Bowl would kill the aura of greatness and winning tradition that surrounds this franchise? I can't really argue with that

Archived