Gary Myers doing what Gary Myers does

Pac

another "article" slamming the Jets. this dork really needs to get laid.

Woody Johnson and NY Jets should forget about return to HBO's 'Hard Knocks' and focus on Super Bowl

Jets will have enough distractions with Tim Tebow circus

The Jets would be fools to let the “Hard Knocks” cameras invade their training camp this summer after they imploded last season with a toxic and dysfunctional locker room.

If the Jets are asked by NFL Films to star in the “Hard Knocks” sequel on HBO, here’s what they must tell them: Call the Giants. Call the Patriots.

Remember, the sequel is never as good as the original, anyway.

Jets owner Woody Johnson indicated Monday there have been informal discussions about a “Hard Knocks” encore. “We have yet to receive a formal invitation and when we do, we will take a look at it,” Johnson said at the opening of the NFL pop-up store in midtown. “I think it is something we would take a look at with (GM) Mike (Tannenbaum) and the coach and (PR director) Bruce (Speight) and I and others that we think can add value to that discussion to see whether it’s something we want to do.”

Johnson loved the exposure the Jets received from “Hard Knocks” in 2010. Rex Ryan dropping -bombs, Ryan’s hysterical “let’s go eat a Goddamn snack” speech, the dramatic Darrelle Revis negotiations — reality television just doesn’t get any better. What did the Jets get out of it?

“I thought it was tremendous value,” Johnson said. “I think the fan got to know the team a lot better. I’ve heard nothing but positives.”

But why would the Jets position themselves to be a complete embarrassment with the nation watching on HD and 3D before Ryan even has a chance to fix the problems that ruined last season? The Jets are a football team trying to win the Super Bowl, not a television show trying to win an Emmy.

They believe the “Hard Knocks” experience two years ago increased their visibility. But you know what really increases a team’s profile and removes the stench from the locker room? Winning. Not trading for Tim Tebow, a gimmick quarterback. Another summer inviting the world inside Camp Rex is not going to help the Jets beat Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

The Jets have not been together as a group since the day after the season ended in Miami when Santonio Holmes got thrown out of the huddle. The offseason conditioning program starts April 16 and that’s when the healing will start. It’s not realistic that all the hard feelings from last season will be gone by the time the Jets report to camp in Cortland in late July. Ryan will be the marriage counselor. Does he really want to roll out the couch on national television?

The Jets are already a three-ring circus. The cameras make it four rings. The Mark Sanchez-Tebow quarterback controversy will explode as soon as Sanchez throws his first interception in minicamp. The Jets are a fragile team that desperately needs Ryan to become more aware of the dynamics in his locker room after being detached last year.

The total access the Jets granted “Hard Knocks” two years ago made for entertaining television. But now they don’t need the cameras following every move in the Summer of Tebow. The Jets need to be all about football. There are enough distractions that come up during a season for any team. The idea is to create an environment to minimize the issues.

This is a crucial year for Ryan. He needs to win or the hot seat is going to be warming up. If Johnson wants to do “Hard Knocks,” then Ryan and Tannenbaum need to talk him out of it.

Two weeks ago, in an interview on Sirius radio, Tannenbaum said he was glad the Jets did “Hard Knocks,” but that “I’m looking forward to watching another team on it this year.”

But after Johnson made his comments on Monday, the GM reversed his field. “When I made that comment, I never had an expectation that we’d be asked to do it again,” Tannenbaum said in a statement released by the team. “Obviously, if we’re asked, we’ll sit down and talk about it.”

Ryan has established an atmosphere where the players have the freedom to rip the Patriots and rip each other. You can’t blame NFL Films if it pushes for a return engagement. No other team can guarantee the drama the Jets are going to provide in Cortland.

B ut it’s not the Jets’ responsibility to fill up five hours of television this summer. They did their part two years ago. Ryan should concentrate on team bonding.

The Giants do Super Bowls.

The Jets do “Hard Knocks.”

Same market, different approach. If the Jets are looking to get big ratings, they should find a way to play on the first Sunday in February.

We're already basically all in on having a circus. I see no reason not to do Hard Knocks.

we have to do hard knocks.. I remember tanny said in an interview right after trade that we weren't interested, but he's just being coy..

Archived