Cimini Draft Watch List 2.0

derp

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/11935/draft-watch-list-2-0

Not a big Cimini guy, but on an annual basis the guy the Jets end up drafting is on his final list. This one's not final, but still figure it's worth discussing. First list had OLB Courtney Upshaw, WR Michael Floyd, S Mark Barron, G David DeCastro, and DE Michael Brockers. This one has Upshaw, Floyd, and Barron along with Quinton Coples and Dontari Poe.

Cimini basically says he expects the first round pick will be best defensive player available, and that the Jets would like one of Coples, Poe, Luke Kuechley, Morris Claiborne, Melvin Ingram, or Fletcher Cox. He put Coples and Poe on the list because he thought they were most likely to be on the board at 16. Also mentions that he's heard they like Whitney Mercilus. So his 5 player interest list really mentions 10 guys he thinks they might pick, 9 of whom are defensive players (although Claiborne would almost certainly be off the board and I'd guess Cox will be also).

I do like the BPA-ish strategy, although just defensive BPA seems somewhat strange to me. If the BPA's an offensive guy, why pass? Both the offense and defense need youth and talent, but that's definitely the better side of the ball so it seems strange to me that offense would get eliminated. Maybe they're just figuring the offense will struggle until a QB figures things out so may as well help the defense, who knows.

its a good article. 6 months ago if i had to bet on who the draft pick would be I would say Upshaw. Now I'm saying Ingram via trade up or another splashy move such as Trent Richardson. but it could very well be Upshaw still. His surly attitude matches what Rex wants out of a football player.

but one small point i do see Kuechly possibly being there at 16. (and the Jets having no interest). If he doesn't go 10 to BUF or 12 to SEA he could drop to CHI and DET in the 19-23 area.

Archived