2012 Jets Mock Draft

Lupz27

RD. 1 Chandler Jones OLB Syracuse

RD.2 In a rare move the Jets trade back with the Atlanta Falcons who desperately want to grab one of the last 4 top RB's available, and select S Brandon Taylor From LSU, the Jets get Falcons 3rd round pick on top of their 2nd which they used to select Taylor, the Jets also throw back their 6th to Atl.

RD. 3 a home town favorite WR Nick Toon from Wisconsin

RD. 3 pick acquired in Atl trade, LaMicheal James RB Oregon, the Jets need that HR hitter on 3rd down, McNight is shifty, but lacks that extra gear to take it to the house that James has.

This is what the Jets may try and do if they don't trade up in the 1st.

This version is what I would prefer the Jets to do.

1st round CB/S Dre Kirkpatrick, if he is on board for the move to become that hybrid S/CB the Jets hybrid D needs to stop those TE's.

2nd Round OLB Ronnell Lewis Oklahoma

3rd round WR Marvin Jones Cal

Would anyone be happy with either of these scenarios?

If forced with a gun to my head to pick either one I'd take the second one.

Jones and Taylor in the first and second would be vomit inducing...Taylor is a pretty popular player amongst Jet fans, which I don't get considering how many Jet fans will call Barron average. If Mark Barron is average, what are these other guys who aren't even within his vicinity at the safety position?

If forced with a gun to my head to pick either one I'd take the second one.

Jones and Taylor in the first and second would be vomit inducing...Taylor is a pretty popular player amongst Jet fans, which I don't get considering how many Jet fans will call Barron average. If Mark Barron is average, what are these other guys who aren't even within his vicinity at the safety position?

I like Taylor because of his value. He's a 3rd round pick who might end up being the best safety in the draft. That said, I'd be pretty upset if they reached for him at their original spot in the 2nd. I wouldnt be pissed at all though if they traded up for him in the 3rd.

I like Taylor because of his value. He's a 3rd round pick who might end up being the best safety in the draft. That said, I'd be pretty upset if they reached for him at their original spot in the 2nd. I wouldnt be pissed at all though if they traded up for him in the 3rd.

If you think he could be the best safety in the draft, who cares where we pick him?

If you think he could be the best safety in the draft, who cares where we pick him?

Because thats what the draft is all about. You take players where they are valued so that you optimize the order in which you pick and the talent you obtain.

Since I think Taylor might end up being the best safety in the draft does it make any sense to take him 16th overall even though he's a projected 3rd round pick? Thats essentially what you are saying.

Because thats what the draft is all about. You take players where they are valued so that you optimize the order in which you pick and the talent you obtain.

Since I think Taylor might end up being the best safety in the draft does it make any sense to take him 16th overall even though he's a projected 3rd round pick? Thats essentially what you are saying.

it does actually. If the Jets felt that way, and he was the best player on their board....I'd hope they would

it does actually. If the Jets felt that way, and he was the best player on their board....I'd hope they would

No. It doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Why on earth would you take a player projected in the 3rd with the 16th overall pick when you can take a player or 2 who might have a similar impact at another position on the field and then wait to take said player in the 3rd where is projected to go? And we arent talking about best player on the board. We are talking about best safety on the board. I'm not saying Bradon Taylor is top 16 talent. I'm saying he might end up being the best overall safety. That doest mean he's the best player on the board or that his value warrants the 16th overall selection.

Because that makes so little sense, I'm guessing you're saying, dont miss out on the guy that you really want because of projections? Which I kind of get but not that much of a reach. I could totally understand if they take him in the 2nd because they feel that highly about him but it would literally make absolutely no sense on earth to take him at 16 when you could take the BAP and then wait to select him later. If we were talking about a player who's projected to go late 1st or early 2nd, then yes, I'd agree with you. But this particular player isnt, so it would make no sense as you could bolster your roster before taking that chance.

Its kind of the whole point of the draft and projections.

No. It doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Why on earth would you take a player projected in the 3rd with the 16th overall pick when you can take a player or 2 who might have a similar impact at another position on the field and then wait to take said player in the 3rd where is projected to go? And we arent talking about best player on the board. We are talking about best safety on the board. I'm not saying Bradon Taylor is top 16 talent. I'm saying he might end up being the best overall safety. That doest mean he's the best player on the board or that his value warrants the 16th overall selection.

Because that makes so little sense, I'm guessing you're saying, dont miss out on the guy that you really want because of projections? Which I kind of get but not that much of a reach. I could totally understand if they take him in the 2nd because they feel that highly about him but it would literally make absolutely no sense on earth to take him at 16 when you could take the BAP and then wait to select him later. If we were talking about a player who's projected to go late 1st or early 2nd, then yes, I'd agree with you. But this particular player isnt, so it would make no sense as you could bolster your roster before taking that chance.

Its kind of the whole point of the draft and projections.

Point I was trying to make is value means nothing when the player stinks. Gholston was a great value pick at 6...because that's what the board said to do. Just by watching his OSU film you could tell that dude was a total stiff.

It just seems too many teams get wrapped up in making sure they play the draft the way its supposed to be played, rather than going with the guy that they think will be the best player. There are no sure things in the draft anyways.

It's why I love and hate the draft all in one. The second the draft is over we'll see grades on value...which is just beyond stupid considering these guys havent played a down yet. Remember when the Jets got great value with guys like Justin Miller and Derrick Strait?

Point I was trying to make is value means nothing when the player stinks. Gholston was a great value pick at 6...because that's what the board said to do. Just by watching his OSU film you could tell that dude was a total stiff.

It just seems too many teams get wrapped up in making sure they play the draft the way its supposed to be played, rather than going with the guy that they think will be the best player. There are no sure things in the draft anyways.

It's why I love and hate the draft all in one. The second the draft is over we'll see grades on value...which is just beyond stupid considering these guys havent played a down yet. Remember when the Jets got great value with guys like Justin Miller and Derrick Strait?

I hear ya and agree...but that doesnt mean you buck the system. Again, it makes very little sense to take a 3rd round projection in the 1st or 2nd round for that matter. Why would you? When you can take 2 other players and still get that player later in the draft. Thats the whole point of it.

Dont mean to be a dick but its common sense. Value most certainly has its place for a reason; it helps you prioritize the draft and where you take a player and when.

Here's another example - I'm Mikey T. I think LaMichael James might end up being the best overall player in the draft after Luck and RGIII. 31 teams think he's a late 3rd round or early 4th round pick and maybe the 5th best RB in the draft. With that knowledge its all but certain that he's going to be there in the 2nd and 90% certain he'll still be there in the 3rd. By your theory, the Jets should trade up to take him 3rd overall because thats where they value him and they alone. Do you see how little sense that makes?

He's not going to end up the best safety in the draft. Nice player, but realistically probably closer to a third safety than a teams #1 safety. Another player I liked a whole lot more before the hype started catching up to him...Now the most likely LSU DB steal is CB Ron Brooks.

Taylor IMO is another 4 rounder. Robinson the MSU safety has similar size and more coverage ability...

I hear ya and agree...but that doesnt mean you buck the system. Again, it makes very little sense to take a 3rd round projection in the 1st or 2nd round for that matter. Why would you? When you can take 2 other players and still get that player later in the draft. Thats the whole point of it.

Dont mean to be a dick but its common sense. Value most certainly has its place for a reason; it helps you prioritize the draft and where you take a player and when.

Here's another example - I'm Mikey T. I think LaMichael James might end up being the best overall player in the draft after Luck and RGIII. 31 teams think he's a late 3rd round or early 4th round pick and maybe the 5th best RB in the draft. With that knowledge its all but certain that he's going to be there in the 2nd and 90% certain he'll still be there in the 3rd. By your theory, the Jets should trade up to take him 3rd overall because thats where they value him and they alone. Do you see how little sense that makes?

Obviously the example were using is a bit extreme....taking a guy with a 3rd round tag in the first doesnt make much sense. Trading down in the draft isnt easy though, so when on Thursday when were stuck at 16 and Chandler Jones being our #1 guy on our list...what do you do?

He's not going to end up the best safety in the draft. Nice player, but realistically probably closer to a third safety than a teams #1 safety. Another player I liked a whole lot more before the hype started catching up to him...Now the most likely LSU DB steal is CB Ron Brooks.

Taylor IMO is another 4 rounder. Robinson the MSU safety has similar size and more coverage ability...

I wish I had your crystal ball. ;-)

Obviously the example were using is a bit extreme....taking a guy with a 3rd round tag in the first doesnt make much sense. Trading down in the draft isnt easy though, so when on Thursday when were stuck at 16 and Chandler Jones being our #1 guy on our list...what do you do?

Dick. Why did you make me go through all that then. lol ;-)

In that scenario, I think you take him. He's projected late 1st, early 2nd so there is a chance he's not around when the Jets select again in the 2nd. That is not a terribly large reach like the Taylor example.

FTR - I'm not high on Jones just saying what I'd do if I were the Jets and he's the #1 guy on my board (which I truly doubt he is).

Maybe solid if you're picking in the late 20's, not at 16. Sorry Lupz, I really don't like either draft...at all. Second one is better imo.

I hate the 1st one to, but don't be surprised if that's the pick at 16 if Barron, Floyd, Coples, and Ingram are all off the board, Jones moved himself into the 1st round according to draft experts, and is considered a better pass rusher then Mercilus, Perry, and Upshaw in a 3/4 D.

I understand not liking the 2nd, but that's who I like for our first pick if the guys above are all off the board.

The problem is JIF Taylor has moved up into a 2nd round pick according to draft experts, they say the combination of weak safety class, need at safety, and game tape is the reason he is now predicted to go in round 2, he is a 3rd to 4th round prospect most years, just as Barron is a 2nd round prospect in most years.

Next year neither would be considered top 5 at the safety position, that is the reason why I don't want the Jets to pick Barron in rd 1, wait till next year for the 1st round safety pick.

Next year neither would be considered top 5 at the safety position,

This is what I call bs... The likes of Ray Ray Armstrong and Bacari Rambo are not better prospects than Barron. Hell, I have trouble buying they're better than Taylor.

TJ McDonald is probably the only guy in Barron's class...Vaccaro depending on how much you like Texas...Lester was clearly...really clearly when you watched...2nd to Barron at Alabama, and for good reason.

For those discussing safeties thought it'd be interesting to toss out there that Tony Pauline reported the Jets' top 5 safeties (in order) are Mark Barron, Harrison Smith, Brandon Taylor, George Iloka, and Trenton Robinson. Who knows how true it is, but worth throwing out there.

I hate the 1st one to, but don't be surprised if that's the pick at 16 if Barron, Floyd, Coples, and Ingram are all off the board, Jones moved himself into the 1st round according to draft experts, and is considered a better pass rusher then Mercilus, Perry, and Upshaw in a 3/4 D.

I understand not liking the 2nd, but that's who I like for our first pick if the guys above are all off the board.

I actually totally dig your out-of-the-box thinking with Kirkpatrick. I could get use to that pick pretty fast. I just don't really trust the Lewis pick. He sorta reminds me of that workout warrior who would have gone top 10 in the mid-late 90's only to major bust. He's drafted that high more on looking the part and potential. I LOVE Marvin Jones as a major sleeper but in the 3rd round you're not really a sleeper anymore.

I wish Toon didn't have these chronic foot problems!! If Jones is picked at 16 I will be extremely pissed. I really...would rather test my luck with Brandon Taylor in the 3rd and if he's gone for some reason take Iloka or (one of my favorites) Trent Robinson. Josh Bush is another late round Safety to remember (per Tony Pauline).

For those discussing safeties thought it'd be interesting to toss out there that Tony Pauline reported the Jets' top 5 safeties (in order) are Mark Barron, Harrison Smith, Brandon Taylor, George Iloka, and Trenton Robinson. Who knows how true it is, but worth throwing out there.

Yep, he also considers Smith to be one of the more overrated prospects fwiw. Not that he's not good, just that he's not so much better than the other names listed.

This is what I call bs... The likes of Ray Ray Armstrong and Bacari Rambo are not better prospects than Barron. Hell, I have trouble buying they're better than Taylor.

TJ McDonald is probably the only guy in Barron's class...Vaccaro depending on how much you like Texas...Lester was clearly...really clearly when you watched...2nd to Barron at Alabama, and for good reason.

I think McDonald, Lester, Ray Ray, and Jefferson will be better than Barron, Jefferson being the best of the bunch, but that's just one mans opinion.

I think McDonald, Lester, Ray Ray, and Jefferson will be better than Barron, Jefferson being the best of the bunch, but that's just one mans opinion.

Armstrong is terrible...Jefferson is Barron if you eliminate Barron's top level pedigree and experience....Then shrank him...then made him even more of a SS prospect. I like Lester alot but it's so clear he was second fiddle to Barron at Alabama that I'll buy him being better if/when he blows up next year...

The problem is JIF Taylor has moved up into a 2nd round pick according to draft experts, they say the combination of weak safety class, need at safety, and game tape is the reason he is now predicted to go in round 2, he is a 3rd to 4th round prospect most years, just as Barron is a 2nd round prospect in most years.

Next year neither would be considered top 5 at the safety position, that is the reason why I don't want the Jets to pick Barron in rd 1, wait till next year for the 1st round safety pick.

I agree. I'm warming up to Barron. Lots of good talk coming from guys I trust the most.

JiF, read that Taylor used to be a CB and that his ball skills might come back with some coaching. I'd certainly take him over Harrison Smith...

Yep. Read that too.

I heard an interview with Terrance Parks, safety from FSU. He's another CB turned S. Could be a solid 7th rounder that actually might make a roster.

Archived