Pettine: Defense getting the spring back in its step.

BroadwayJoe12

Pettine: The Spring Is Back in Defense’s Step

The Jets may have taken a hit last winter, but defensive coordinator Mike Pettine says the buzz has returned in a big way during OTAs.

“I think everybody at the end of last year was so beat up emotionally and physically that maybe it took us to take a step back in order to take three of four forward,” he said during “Deconstructing the Defense,” a video broadcast that can be seen on newyorkjets.com. “I can just tell you right now the atmosphere in Florham Park is light years away from where it was before.”

Pettine said new Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano has provided a jolt that has had an effect on both sides of the ball.

“Just from an excitement standpoint of how we are in our own room defensively and then what we see going on on the other side of the ball — just the attitude, the tempo in practice, them getting in and out of the huddle and the spirit over there,” he said. “You look at Tony and the rest of the offensive staff, at how hard they’re working their guys. It’s a no-nonsense group and they get after them pretty good and that’s exciting for our guys to see.

“They realize that we’re going to have to hold up our end of the bargain in practice or else we’re going to get embarrassed. It’s one thing that we have always prided ourselves on in practice that we were going to get after our offense, and our guys know that it’s going to be a little bit of a taller task this year.”

Welcoming a more hands-on approach from head coach Rex Ryan in the defensive meeting room, Pettine said it’s good for the players to hear a new voice echo familiar messages.

“The coaching points that he makes have already been made by the assistant coaches. It’s confirmation, here’s Rex coming in and confirming the points that have been made to those guys,” Pettine said. “It’s welcome and you can tell that he kind of has a new lease on life.”

In the hopes of making more contributions in 2012, both DT Kenrick Ellis and LB Bart Scott have transformed their bodies.

“There are two players who jump out to me already defensively. Kenrick Ellis is one. He’s dropped a bunch of weight and he’s just done a tremendous job in the offseason,” Pettine said. “He looks like a different guy running around out there. And then the other guy that’s hard to recognize is Bart. He’s dropped close to 20 pounds. He’s running around like a young Bart.”

The draft brought an infusion of speed and Pettine likes what he sees on the practice field.

Quinton Coples is an explosive athlete. He has a tremendous get-off — he’s a guy that jumps off the tape when we’re watching the practice film,” he said. “The other guy, Demario Davis. is an explosive athlete. He’s the type of guy we needed to add, that type of linebacker who can cover a tight end but still can have linebacker-type responsibilities against the run. Aaron Maybin looks a step quicker.

And Ricky Sapp, said Pettine, is “a guy a lot of Jets fans don’t know about who came from Clemson and he had a knee injury late in his career. He spent most of last year rehabbing from it and he’s a guy who definitely has increased our team speed up front.”

The Jets have also altered their back end, acquiring safeties LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell in free agency to go along with incumbent Eric Smith. While Landry works on getting back to full speed, Bell has already impressed.

“He’s no-nonsense and he’s a leader,” Pettine said of the former Dolphin. “If a guy’s straying off the path that he should be on, you can tell that he’s not going to be afraid to point it out.

“We’re excited to have three not only just skilled athletically but three physically skilled from a hitting standpoint — I think our group of safeties will have the ability to intimidate a little bit. Eric Smith has had his share of highlight-reel hits over the years and Landry has certainly done the same as well as Yeremiah.

“Given our corners outside and having the ability to maybe get the ball funneled to the middle of the field, I think we’ll cause some issues around the league with receivers not necessarily wanting to catch the ball over the middle.”

http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2012/05/...defenses-step/

I just get the feeling that if healthy, we're looking at a 2009 type caliber defense, if not better. Actually has me pretty excited.

Interesting. Really seems as if Sparano and his staff command a lot more respect than Schotty and his crew, if nothing else. I think thats something thats been pretty evident when reading/watching/listening to any of these interviews and reports.

I also think the D is gonna have a big year. I think Rex being more involved with the players and the actual coaching of the team is going to help hammer home some messages and get everyone on the same page, and I think the additions they made this offseason will really bolster our pass rush - as now we only need to send 4 or 5 to get to the QB - meaning we can still leave guys in coverage to worry about the tight ends and backs over the middle.

Ricky Sapp really is an interesting name. Far be it for me to talk well of Clemson defensive linemen but maybe Sapp can break the curse by being listed as a linebacker?

I remember the year he came out I was in love with brandon graham (still feel he's being wasted outside of a 34) and wanting either him, sergio kindle or ricky sapp. Sapp obviously dropped due to the knee injury, but at 6'4 250+ and running a 4.65 forty, he certainly has some untapped potential. Here's hoping he could have a Maybin type resurgence.

The thing that jumped out to me the most, was pettine saying that Maybin looks a step quicker; a step quicker and 10+ lbs heavier? Sign me up for that.

Ricky Sapp really is an interesting name. Far be it for me to talk well of Clemson defensive linemen but maybe Sapp can break the curse by being listed as a linebacker?

FWIW I've noticed his name coming up multiple times in CS interviews. I have no expectations for him, but it's interesting nonetheless.

The thing that jumped out to me the most, was pettine saying that Maybin looks a step quicker; a step quicker and 10+ lbs heavier? Sign me up for that.

Maybin didn't know the defense last year. Understanding the defense should have the effect of cutting down on his reaction time and getting him to where he's supposed to be faster.

Maybin didn't know the defense last year. Understanding the defense should have the effect of cutting down on his reaction time and getting him to where he's supposed to be faster.

Continuity and being comfortable make up alot for a defensive guy. Honestly think thats why Ray Lou and Ed Reed are still producing at a high level at their ages. Move them to another defense were they have to think about it and that loss of step becomes more evident. Maybin will be a terror this year. BOOKIT

This guy is very interesting.

As I'm sure your aware he blew his knee out at Clemson, and just never really healed. In frustration with his failed rehab, he just walked out of Eagles camp, and was later cut.

Pettine in his interview was excited about him, and said he is good to go, and 100%. That he was going to surprise this year.

It would be very cool if the Jets staff could pull off another Maybin. This kid had the talent. Here's an old article for the folks who aren't familiar with him.

Didinger: Was Sapp the Biggest Steal of the Draft?

buttonLeftImgUp.gif

buttonLeftImgUp.pngbuttonRightImgUp.png

buttonLeftImgUp.pngemail.png

Email buttonRightImgUp.png

print_button.png

Sunday, April 25, 2010, 6:32pm

158947.jpg

Ricky Sapp underperformed at Clemson last year, but he has all the physical tools to be an NFL starter. (AP)

More From Ray Didinger

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Posted: 6:33 p.m.

By Ray Didinger

CSNPhilly.com

The Bandit could be The Steal of the 2010 NFL draft.

Ricky Sapp played “the bandit” position at Clemson. It is a hybrid position, part linebacker, part end, created by defensive coordinator Vic Koenning. The bandit usually rushes the passer, but he also drops into coverage at times.

It is a role that requires a skillful athlete and Sapp, although he was hampered by injuries in 2008, played it well. I projected Sapp as a second-round pick so I was very surprised to see his name still on the board in round five. The Eagles made a smart move, taking him at No. 134.

I know some people were puzzled. Why did the Eagles draft a 6-3, 252-pound pass rusher when they drafted Brandon Graham in the first round and already had several undersized tweener-type end/linebackers on the roster?

My guess is the Eagles didn’t plan to draft another one, but when they saw Sapp still available in round five they felt he was too good to pass up.

Sapp has been compared to DeMarcus Ware, the Pro Bowl linebacker of the Dallas Cowboys. They are similar in size and play a similar game, using speed to rush the passer and chase down ball carriers. So if Sapp was compared to a Pro Bowler like Ware, why did he fall to the fifth round?

I suspect it has to do with the knee injury he suffered two years ago. He tore his ACL in a game against Virginia, underwent surgery and missed spring practice last season. He did start every game in 2009 and while he finished the season with 60 tackles (15 behind the line) and five sacks, he wasn’t the dominant force people thought he would be.

I’m sure some pro teams examined Sapp’s knee and put him down as a medical risk. He is, after all, a player whose game is all about explosive speed off the edge. At his size, he is not going to overpower an offensive lineman; he has to use quickness. If he loses even a step, it is too much.

But we have seen with other ACL injuries that sometimes it takes a full year to recover. It isn’t until the second year that a player regains his form or close to it. If Sapp is healthier and more effective this season than he was last, he could be a fine addition to the Eagles’ defense.

Another factor that may have lowered Sapp’s draft stock is the career of Gaines Adams who preceded him in “the bandit” role at Clemson. Adams was almost the same size (6-4, 255) and had the same speed (4.6 in the 40) as Sapp. Adams recorded 12 sacks as a senior and earned All-America honors.

Adams was drafted fourth overall by Tampa Bay in 2007, but he was a bust. He had just 13 sacks in his first 37 games. Last October, just days after the Buccaneers were thrashed by the Eagles, 33-14, the club traded Adams to Chicago where he finished the season as a part-time player. (Tragically, Adams died of cardiac arrest in January at age 26.)

Assessing Adams’ brief stay in Tampa, John Romano of the St. Petersburg Times wrote: “He wasn’t very strong. He didn’t have a lot of passion. He had very few moves or skills as a pass rusher. In the end, his talent did not warrant such a high selection in the draft.”

Pro teams often think in patterns, and after seeing how they overrated Adams, they may have been less likely to trust the next “bandit,” that being Sapp. I can understand shying away from Sapp in rounds one and two, maybe even three, but when it gets to round five, what do you have to lose? I’m sure that’s how the Eagles viewed it.

Sapp is a sprinter in a linebacker’s body. In high school, he was state champion in the 100 meters (10.7 seconds) and 200 meters (21.0) and ran on the 4x100 relay. To me, he looks better suited to a 3-4 defense but for an Eagles team that’s loading up on fast guys to sic on the quarterback, he is worth a shot. He could be the gem of Saturday’s draft.

Archived