Cimini: What Josh Brown Can do for the Jets

flgreen

What (Josh) Brown can do for the Jets

June, 11, 2012

Jun 11

10:46

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The Jets were so determined to bring in competition for incumbent PK Nick Folk that they reached out to Josh Brown only 10 minutes after he had been released by the Rams during the draft. Once he cleared waivers, Brown signed with the Jets, creating a true open competition at kicker.

Folk vs. Brown, two proven veterans.

"I've never been in a serious competition," Brown told me last week at OTAs. "This will be my 10th season and I've never had someone that legitimately pressed me."

Brown, 33, was deemed expendable when the Rams drafted Greg Zuerlein of Missouri Western in the sixth round. Besides the Jets, Brown had only one other option -- the Texans, but they, too, drafted a kicker. He picked the Jets, knowing a competition wouldn't be influenced by money because their 2012 salaries are relatively close -- Folk $765,000, Brown $855,000. Both are on one-year contracts.

"If Nick and I are close, they make a comfort decision," Brown said. "It's not an issue of money, it's an issue of performance -- and it should be an issue of performance. This was the best opportunity to where I would totally get a chance to be judged solely on performance."

Brown is an 81 percent career kicker on field goals (he spent the last four seasons in a dome), although his percentage dropped to 75 last season in St. Louis. Folk, 27, is a 78 percent kicker who finished at 76 percent last season.

This is a weird dynamic for Brown because, even though the competition won't be settled until the preseason, he knows every kick in every practice is scrutinized.

"It's very foreign," he said. "I want to impress every single day. I want to know what they're getting. I want them to have confidence that, when I go on the field, they don't have to watch.

How much better could Brown be if he's been kicking primarily in a dome the last 4 years? Not to mention, how can they really gauge the kicking competition now when the real test will be in October-January when the elements get worse? We need a kicker who isn't gonna shank a field goal 30 yards away because of a little breeze.

How much better could Brown be if he's been kicking primarily in a dome the last 4 years? Not to mention, how can they really gauge the kicking competition now when the real test will be in October-January when the elements get worse? We need a kicker who isn't gonna shank a field goal 30 yards away because of a little breeze.

Fair questions all.

Still think Folk is done

• 2 months later...

Not a particular surprise, we all called that the second he missed that kick last night.

Yeah. I was hoping that they'd both keep nailing everything and maybe another team would have a disastrous situation and we'd be able to spin one off for the first choice in the mini-draft. Top choice of a blocking TE about to get cut or something. Oh well. Another dream dashed.

Archived