J.R. to Team USA: I better be on Olympic team

Gang Green Girl

Who wants him! What a jackass!

When the United States announces its men's Olympic hockey team on Dec. 19, one player expects to make the cut ... or else.

Kings center Jeremy Roenick told The Los Angeles Times that he "better be" on the Olympic team that will compete in Turin, Italy, in February.

"It would be a travesty if I'm not," Roenick told the newspaper. "I know they want a youth movement, and they need to have one, but it'd be disrespectful of the guys who have gotten Team USA to this point internationally."

Roenick will be able to make his case Thursday night when the Kings face the Carolina Hurricanes, whose coach, Peter Laviolette, will also lead Team USA.

Roenick, 35, told The Times that if he doesn't make the cut, Team USA "better hope that I don't get a job as a commentator on NBC for [the Games], or it'd be 'Go Canada' all the way, and I don't want that."

The deadline for teams to submit their final Olympic rosters is Dec. 22, but the United States said it will announce its final list of 23 players on Dec. 19.

This season, Roenick has five goals and six assists in 26 games for the Kings.

What a guy. Thinks he owns the place.

He has nothing coming to him. If they pick him, I hope it's on merit, and nothing else. But right now, I'm rooting that they do not select him.

I'm rooting that they don't select him, too. Make a statement! Avoid the a$$hole! Some could argue that he is good for hockey because they need an outspoken player, but he's a loudmouth, know-it-all and I think everyone is tired of hearing him.

Eh... not really. I mean, Pavel Datsyuk, Nicklas Lidstrom, Henrik Zetterberg, Kris Draper, Brendan Shanahan, Mathieu Schneider.. they're all going (probably Shanny and Schneider). Besides, as it was, he withdrew himself. As I said, Gretz was going to name him to the team. Hate to break it to you pal, but the Wings aren't going anywhere.

Know who would be make an excellent LW? Bollywood! Don'tcha think, Jetstone?

Yes, we're definitely on the same page GG Girl. I think he'd make an excellent LW

Taking into account that Bollwood is from Grand Forks, ND (home of last year's World Junior Hockey Championships) you'd have to imagine that he has strapped the blades on before.

Also, and I know you know this, GG Girl, he was drafted by the LA Dodgers so we know he's an elite multi-sport athlete.

Also, rumour has it that he was offered a huge contract to play 1st wicket for the Bombay Cobras but turned it down as the travel would have just been too much.

inset_cricket.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Are any Rangers heading to the Olympics?

I thought not...

And, T, just for the record, Yzerman declined the invite. Gretzky was going to put him and Lemieux on the team. Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

I think there are 9 Rangers headed to Turin.

Czech Republic-Jagr, Straka, Prucha, Malik, Rucinsky

Russia-Tyutin, Kasparaitis

Sweden-Lundqvist

Slovakia-Hossa

Archived