Napoli a red sock: 3 years, 39 milly

Blackout

11:12PM EST December 3. 2012 - NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Boston Red Sox have agreed to terms with free-agent catcher Mike Napoli on a three-year, $39 million contract, a Red Sox front-office executive confirmed to USA TODAY Sports.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the signing has not yet been finalized.

Napoli, who spent the last two years with the Texas Rangers, will be used mostly as a first baseman, while occasionally being a backup catcher and designated hitter. The Red Sox also are pursuing free agent right fielders Nick Swisher and Cody Ross.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13 mil a year for a 31yr old guy who has played over 115 games in a season once? :rl:

yeah.. i know... he was a catcher.. now he's a 1b. wont matter. he will be a bust in Boston. Terrible signing.

he did have a great batting average of .227 last season ;)

13 mil a year for a 31yr old guy who has played over 115 games in a season once? :rl:

yeah.. i know... he was a catcher.. now he's a 1b. wont matter. he will be a bust in Boston. Terrible signing.

Terrible? Have you checked his Fenway splits? They need a right handed power bat behind Ortiz. It's only a 3 year deal. 13 million isn't that much. He's a good guy in the clubhouse, this is a GOOD signing.

Yeah, but I don't really see the point of paying that much for Victorino if you really think Bradley is going to be ready soon.

Because they aren't bringing back Ellsbury after his deal is done because Boras wants too much money. I think once all of the pieces come together, it will make more sense. They still need to bring in an arm or two for the rotation and probably trade a catcher.

Didn't make an offer. Didn't even negotiate at all. Sounds like they did their due diligence in seeing what the asking price was and moved to other things. They didn't settle for Victorino when they weren't ever interested in signing Hamilton.

Again, stick to your team and creating other useless threads.

Victorino signing is brutal. He's a platoon player and mediocre defender making 13 mil. Horrible.

Above average defender and 5 years younger than Torii Hunter who also got 13 million a year.

Sox will be paying Victorino and Napoli a combined 26 million. Yankees will be paying ARod 28 million. So there is that.

Not sure what Arod has to do with it. Everyone knows that was a horrible contract. Victorino just isn't good. He's an average at best defender and he can't hit righties at all. Sure he'll hit against 20% of pitchers and play OK D. Whopdie friggin do. 13 million?

We'll have to wait and see. The Sox can afford to overpay a little bit to short the contract length. Victorino is a bridge player to get them to their young players.

Compared to what is available, it's not a bad deal. You'll see.

Terrible deals for the red sox...

Sorry Sox fans... these deals dont make the team much better. surprised there isnt more outrage over these signings.

Again, how are they terrible deals? The Sox have holes and have filled them with above average players. Did they overpay? A little but they did so to keep the length of the contracts short. The Sox shed over 100 million in payroll and have some financial flexibility. The Red Sox needed a RHH with some power, they got one in Napoli. They needed an above average defender to patrol RF who could also play CF when Ellsbury either leaves or what have you knowing that Bradley will be ready by 2014. These are also guys that are good for the clubhouse, which is what they need after Valentine made it a not so pleasant place.

The Sox core lineup right now of Ellsbury, Pedroia, Papi and Middlebrooks is a very good one, these guys they are bringing in are going to fit right in and help produce.

I love how Mets fans and Yankees fans (two teams who haven't done jack this offseason) are judging what is best for the Red Sox like they actually know. The sox lost 93 games last season. They had to do something and these guys are some of the better options that were available.

Again, how are they terrible deals? The Sox have holes and have filled them with above average players. Did they overpay? A little but they did so to keep the length of the contracts short. The Sox shed over 100 million in payroll and have some financial flexibility. The Red Sox needed a RHH with some power, they got one in Napoli. They needed an above average defender to patrol RF who could also play CF when Ellsbury either leaves or what have you knowing that Bradley will be ready by 2014. These are also guys that are good for the clubhouse, which is what they need after Valentine made it a not so pleasant place.

The Sox core lineup right now of Ellsbury, Pedroia, Papi and Middlebrooks is a very good one, these guys they are bringing in are going to fit right in and help produce.

I love how Mets fans and Yankees fans (two teams who haven't done jack this offseason) are judging what is best for the Red Sox like they actually know. The sox lost 93 games last season. They had to do something and these guys are some of the better options that were available.

I live in Boston. I pay more attention to the Red Sox than I do the Mess.

And I hate both deals. both players suck. Red Sox will continue to be mediocre. they dont add much to a team that needs something good after last year's debacle.

You disagree? Fine. But i hate both deals. Mediocre players for too much money for 2 years too long.

I live in Boston. I pay more attention to the Red Sox than I do the Mess.

And I hate both deals. both players suck. Red Sox will continue to be mediocre. they dont add much to a team that needs something good after last year's debacle.

You disagree? Fine. But i hate both deals. Mediocre players for too much money for 2 years too long.

What do you care about the money? Both players do not suck. They are good role players and fit needs for the Red Sox. What is so hard to understand? What is out there that would have suited the Sox better? I implore you to answer that question, likely you cannot.

Your opinion is like mine saying the Mets overpaid for Wright based on what Longoria got, who is a way better player.

What do you care about the money? Both players do not suck. They are good role players and fit needs for the Red Sox. What is so hard to understand? What is out there that would have suited the Sox better? I implore you to answer that question, likely you cannot.

Your opinion is like mine saying the Mets overpaid for Wright based on what Longoria got, who is a way better player.

Mets did overpay for Wright. Shoulda traded him. And i love the guy. :-)

Both players are average players. Both are on the decline of their career. I dont have the list of FA's in front of me to read through and point out who's better, whos cheaper. All i care about is these guys add nearly nothing to this team in my eyes. Just expensive place holders for the hopes and wishes something develops or happens to improve them. If an average team is acceptable for the foreseeable future, then fine... the sox did what they needed to do. But after alienating the fan base last year, they needed to do better than jonny gomes, victorino and a terrible 1b who plays 110 games

Archived