If Tanny is willing to be demoted to stay with the Jets... how about Rex?

Integrity28

Flame on... but it's a fair question.

Seems like Woody has brass balls when it comes to having the audacity to firing people without firing them. What if Pettine doesn't come back, Rex takes over as DC, Mike takes over as calculator holder, and a new GM and HC are brought on?

I do not believe Coach Ryan would accept a demotion, his pride would not permit it, and (I believe) he would believe he could get another Head Coach shot elsewhere rather quickly. I happen to agree with him on that last point.

I think the view inside the NFL is not similar to the view widely held in Jets Fan Land, that Rex lost the team or has done a poor job. It is my belief that the NFL bigshots see Rex as a Coach saddled with a very poor Offense, led by consequtive poor coordinators, and headed by the worst 1st round draft-pick QB bust and worst QB of the past decade.

As such I would express grave doubts as to the possabillity of your hypothetical scenario, respectfully, sir.

I do not believe Coach Ryan would accept a demotion, his pride would not permit it, and (I believe) he would believe he could get another Head Coach shot Offense, led by consequtive poor coordinators, and headed by the worst 1st round draft-pick QB bust and worst QB of the past decade.

As such I would express grave doubts as to the possabillity of your hypothetical scenario, respectfully, sir.

Off the top off my head, Russell was worse by far on both accounts. Sanchez is definitely awful, but not the worst in the last decade.

Not fair to saddle HC with a coordinator he may not want.

Hire GM. Let him decide who is HC. if he picks Ryan, its his choice.

If I am going to saddle anyone, force the HC on the GM, not a coordinator on a HC. HC needs to pick his own system.

Tannenbaum's willing to accept a demotion because if he doesn't, he's out of work. Rex is not in the same boat. The idea that Tanny has some gift for contracts or the cap is ludicrous. He's receiving a gift from Woody if he's not fired, that's about it. He might've been a hotshot years ago working under Parcells, but the rest of the league has caught up and passed him by. His guaranteed contracts, unusual in the NFL, are a big part of what's crippling the team the last couple years. The other big problem is his inability to identify talent.

Tannenbaum's willing to accept a demotion because if he doesn't, he's out of work. Rex is not in the same boat. The idea that Tanny has some gift for contracts or the cap is ludicrous. He's receiving a gift from Woody if he's not fired, that's about it. He might've been a hotshot years ago working under Parcells, but the rest of the league has caught up and passed him by. His guaranteed contracts, unusual in the NFL, are a big part of what's crippling the team the last couple years. The other big problem is his inability to identify talent.

But other than those two things...

Archived