Dolphin Twitter Fiasco

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

Vontae Davis gets Sean Smith, self in hot water

We all know Sean Smith is eager to test the free agent market. He's going to have suitors.

But none of the contact that will happen starting March 9 when pending free agents are allowed to speak with all clubs is supposed to be happening yet. If it is happening, it is tampering.

That, of course, happens all the time but is rarely proven.

Well, if you believe former Dolphins cornerback Vontae Davis, there is tampering afoot relative to Sean Smith.

"I seen my dude Sean Smith last night he said he talking to KC him & B Flowers will makes (sic) a good Duo," Davis tweeted in the last 20 minutes.

Whaaat?

It suggests Smith is talking to an NFL team when he shouldn't be -- specifically the Kansas City Chiefs. It is coming from a close -- albeit ridiculously dumb -- friend of the Dolphins cornerback. And a storm could be on the way over the matter if the NFL chooses to pursue it.

For the record, I tweeted agent David Canter, who represents Smith, to see if the tampering allegation is true.

"Don’t believe everything players tell you Armando. Rule number 1 of football journalism," he replied.

Well, I think I'm pretty versed in journalism and that isn't Rule 1. Rule 1 is get it straight from the horse's mouth and get it on the record.

This comes from Davis's mouth as his account is verified. And I believe he simply slipped. That's neither here nor there. So I asked Canter if he is saying Davis is lying?

"I say clients haven’t ever spoken to teams prior to free agency so his statement isn’t true," Canter replied.

I believe Canter. I believe Sean Smith probably hasn't spoken to the Chiefs. But notice he didn't say he hadn't spoken to the Chiefs on Smith's behalf.

Here's an interesting twist: Moments after I retweeted Davis's tweet and sought out Canter, the former Dolphins cornerback tweeted that his account had been hacked.

"My Twitter was Hack I did not see Sean Smith last night!!" he wrote in his own inimitable style for the language.

That's possible. And it's also possible Davis is doing damage control because he was informed he'd just uncovered his good friend.

I will be seeking comment from the Dolphins on this matter. They probably will have none. They are, however, aware of the issue.

[Update: The Miami Dolphins have no comment.]

[Update: Smith denied on twitter he met with the Chiefs. "Whoa, no I didn't."  he tweeted. Then he added: "OK, this is getting out of hand. I've never talked to any other team besides the Miami Dolphins."]

[Update: Smith also said he did speak with former Dolphins coach now KC DB coach Al Harris recently and told Davis about that and that Davis misunderstood somehow that it meant Smith is talking to the Chiefs.]

[Update: The Chiefs have no comment.]

Again, the denials never mention whether Smith's agent talked to the Chiefs.

The NFL has no comment but it does, according to Herald beat reporter Adam Beasley, investigate allegations of tampering, regardless of whether the offended team files a complaint or not. The NFL does prefer a complaint be filled.

Meanwhile, Davis comes off as initially transparent but not necessarily intelligent relative to outing his friend and then his backtracking.

[Update: Smith now is basically conceding that Davis lied about having his account hacked. "He panicked ... Not the best idea but I appreciate it tho."]

[Update: And now Sean Smith has blocked me on twitter. These guys are brilliant.]

Canter has a spill he has to clean up.

And now we shall wait to see if Sean Smith signs eventually with the Kansas City Chiefs or perhaps the Philadelphia Eagles, with whom Canter met (for undisclosed reasons) during the Indianapolis combine.

I tweeted agent David Canter, who represents Smith, to see if the tampering allegation is true.

"Don’t believe everything players tell you Armando. Rule number 1 of football journalism," he replied.

Well, I think I'm pretty versed in journalism and that isn't Rule 1. Rule 1 is get it straight from the horse's mouth and get it on the record. This comes from Davis's mouth as his account is verified.

Next time you guys get your bowels in an uproar over Mehta's latest sh*t-stirring, take a moment to thank the god of your choosing that we don't have to deal with Armando Salguero.

Next time you guys get your bowels in an uproar over Mehta's latest sh*t-stirring, take a moment to thank the god of your choosing that we don't have to deal with Armando Salguero.

Meh

Salguero isn't making up stories, and basing them on Unidentified sources.  He names every one.  He isn’t peeing in the Fish’s face, he’s dumping on KC, and Smith.

If Mehta had this story he would be citing unknown White House sources, and demanding that the Jets forfeit their entire draft 

Meh

Salguero isn't making up stories, and basing them on Unidentified sources. He names every one. He isn’t peeing in the Fish’s face, he’s dumping on KC, and Smith.

If Mehta had this story he would be citing unknown White House sources, and demanding that the Jets forfeit their entire draft

He said Rex's foot thing was "a departure from God's supernatural plan for natural man." Dude makes Mehta look like Grantland Rice.

Archived