Should we use our Top Pick for Offense or Defense? (Fun Debate Time ;) )

SouthernJet

Interesting. I'm gonna go for personal preference with,

1. Mingo

2. Warmack

3. Geno

Won't mind, Cooper, Ansah, Jordan, Star

I fetishize drafting OL because they factor in every play and a good OL elevates a lot of other aspects of the team.

You're not afraid of Mingo going Gholston?

I fetishize drafting OL because they factor in every play and a good OL elevates a lot of other aspects of the team.

You're not afraid of Mingo going Gholston?

no. But I do think he could go Jarvis Moss if he's drafted into a 43 defense. I get the learning curve to OLB but I think it's a natural fit for him. But I also still think if Quentin Grooves was drafted to be a 34OLB off the bat he could of had more success.

no. But I do think he could go Jarvis Moss if he's drafted into a 43 defense. I get the learning curve to OLB but I think it's a natural fit for him. But I also still think if Quentin Grooves was drafted to be a 34OLB off the bat he could of had more success.

He scares me, personally. I know all the numbers are there, but he played in a front seven with a lot of talent and still never produced.

im all about production this year. hence Keenan Allen or Jarvis Jones. 

well Gio Bernard was productive at all times,,,,whether it be rush, pass catching or punt returns. Instant Impact, especially in our new WCO.

Your second sentence is why Id disregard your first.

need is another issue. the Jets have a starting RB bilal powell. They don't have a starting OLB. and they don't have enough starting WR either.  I'd love to get Lacy in Green but it's unlikely to happen. If they were picking at 29 instead of 9 i'd say sure thing. 

need is another issue. the Jets have a starting RB bilal powell. They don't have a starting OLB. and they don't have enough starting WR either.  I'd love to get Lacy in Green but it's unlikely to happen. If they were picking at 29 instead of 9 i'd say sure thing. 

I just dont think we have anyone on roster to be a bonafide 'pass escape valve RB / screen pass RB which is VERY important in WCO. Bernard is patient and uses his OL to set up block/run better than any RB I have ever seen at College level. 

Not saying Lacy should be the pick, id like to see his 40 time too. But Powell isnt a starter in this league and for the Jets to even be competitive this year they need instant offense.

If they did last years draft over Martin doesnt last till Tampa that's for sure.

well Gio Bernard was productive at all times,,,,whether it be rush, pass catching or punt returns. Instant Impact, especially in our new WCO.

PFW Audibles (Scout quotes from their draft guide):

"Giovani Bernard is china doll soft. I wanted to like the guy, but he plays like the Carolina blue he wears. He pulls himself out of games for no reason, and he always has some injury. He'll never be able to carry it."

Not saying Lacy should be the pick, id like to see his 40 time too. But Powell isnt a starter in this league and for the Jets to even be competitive this year they need instant offense.

If they did last years draft over Martin doesnt last till Tampa that's for sure.

I don't see how Lacy lasts five years with the way he runs and the abuse he takes. I'd be really hesitant to burn #9 on him. I felt the sane way about Trent Richardson, too.

I don't see how Lacy lasts five years with the way he runs and the abuse he takes. I'd be really hesitant to burn #9 on him. I felt the sane way about Trent Richardson, too.

The only way we draft offense  in the first roundanyway  is if we trade Revis and have another pick.

Didn't you just say earlier you'd take Jarvis Jones for 5 years of production and not look back?  Just curious what the difference is?

Didn't you just say earlier you'd take Jarvis Jones for 5 years of production and not look back? Just curious what the difference is?

If Jarvis Jones gives you 12+ sacks for five years, that's gold, and worth a high first. You can find a lot of backs in Rounds 3-6 who will get you 1,000 yards for a few seasons.

PFW Audibles (Scout quotes from their draft guide):

"Giovani Bernard is china doll soft. I wanted to like the guy, but he plays like the Carolina blue he wears. He pulls himself out of games for no reason, and he always has some injury. He'll never be able to carry it."

what BS. LOL

He was in almost the whole time. is revis soft cause he 'missed' last year? Gio lost a year w/knee, redshirted. Missed 2 or 3 games I think last 2 years due to hammy and has played hurt.. 

laughable...

if we are being honest about the Jets offense, they need explosion. They need to improve the passing offense. drafting an RB high or a Guard high doesn't make them a more explosive offense. They need threats.  they will find new guards and new RB's but they won't use rd 1 or rd 2 picks at those positions. 

if we are being honest about the Jets offense, they need explosion. They need to improve the passing offense. drafting an RB high or a Guard high doesn't make them a more explosive offense. They need threats.  they will find new guards and new RB's but they won't use rd 1 or rd 2 picks at those positions. 

I could see them using a Round 2 on a RB if they picked up a additional 2nd Round 2 pick via tradedown out of #9.

I would say best player available, but they need offense.   The Ravens were one of the better defensive teams in the NFL year after year and never could get over the hump because their offense sucked.  And the one year they did win years ago,  their defense had one of those "once a generation" type of seasons.  They started concentrating more on offense over the past few years and are now super bowl champs.

If Sanchez had a decent season or they had a running game over the past 3 years, the Jets might've been in a super bowl.  

And is it always about stud names?  Many of those guys wind up busts or just not very good.    Look at the Russel Wilsons or Kapernicks of the world. Nobody gave any of those guys second looks or thoughts.   Look at the Receivers most people wouldn't consider best ever.  Hell years ago Jerry Rice was a nobody from a small school.

The Patriots have been the defacto draft depth kind of team.  Steelers were similar.  So were the Colts.  The Ravens drafted RBs from Rutgers and Temple and a QB from Delaware.   Rice might've put up big numbers at Rutgers and was considered good, but was drafted in the 2nd round.

Hell the Giants picked up an undrafted free agent in Victor Cruz and he's averaged about 80 receptions a season the past two years.

Sometimes it's not about names, it's actually having scouts and a coaching staff that know how to do their jobs well.

Archived