Better 2013: Coples or Davis?

SenorGato

Davis looked a bit lost last season - his instincts weren't good and he didn't dissect plays well, he also got swallowed up a bit.  He seemed hesitant which negated his number one assett being his speed. 

LBer is the easist position on defense to transition to the NFL from college.  Davis may improve with time but after last season's tape, right now it's Coples by a country mile.

Davis looked a bit lost last season - his instincts weren't good and he didn't dissect plays well, he also got swallowed up a bit.  He seemed hesitant which negated his number one assett being his speed. 

Good points btw, someone mentioned a while back (27?) how the run defense looked noticably worse with him in. 

Good points btw, someone mentioned a while back (27?) how the run defense looked noticably worse with him in. 

That was the most glaring reason, at least from my point of view, why he didn't see the field more than he did.  Not only did he miss tackles, but he often overpursued, misread the counter or just chose the wrong gap.  I distinctly remember talking to 27 about a handful of big runs coming as soon as Davis was on the field, not to mention that blown angle on the kickoff during the Pats game where whatever-his-name-is ran it back.   I think he'll be a player and a good leader, but I'm gonna go with Coples on this one.

Here's a comp:

Davis:

6'2" 235 at the combine

4.49 40

1.54 10

32 bench reps

38.5 vertical

4.28 shuttle

7.19 3-cone

Timmons:

6'1 234 at the combine

4.66 40

1.50 10

25 reps

35" vertical

4.32 shuttle

6.92 3-cone

Started 0 games a rookies, appeared in all 16, 13 tackles for Timmons, 35 for Davis.

Archived