What can we do about the TE and S positions?

nj meadowlands

I think if you really scour this roster up and down, tight and and safety are our biggest remaining holes.

On offense, you can argue that we've gotten better at:

•  Quarterback (Geno & Garrard > Tebow & McElroy)
  •  Running Back (Goodson / Ivory / Powell > Greene / Powell / McKnight)
  •  Wide Receiver (Holmes, say what you will about him, coming back from WR instantly upgrades our corps)
  •  Offensive Line (Colon, if healthy, is every bit as good as Moore, and all indications are that Brian Winters will be a mauler from Day 1)

On defense, we picked up the top CB in the draft and added a stud DT to what is already the best unit on the entire team.

To me, that leaves our biggest needs as:

1. Tight End

2. Safety

3. OLB

How can we go about addressing these positions?  Is there anyone left on the FA pile that would be worth bringing in, realistically?  Are there any teams with a lot of depth at these positions that we could swing a trade with?  What would we trade?

I know the Jets signed two UDFA TE's. Not that you can bank on them making the team, but I'm sure they'll give them every opportunity to make the roster. Some other FA names out there are Ed Dickson, Randy McMicheal, Dallas Clark, Josh Baker (former Jet)...I'm pretty sure Shiancoe and Kevin Boss are still out there and then someone mentioned the Eagles cut a TE but I'd never heard of him, Evan Moore.

They drafted 2 safeties last year that have been hanging around, along with signing the other Landry. I assume they add a veteran sooner than later. Mikell, Woodson, Rhodes, Sensabaugh, etc.

OLB - they resigned Pace, added Antwan Barnes, still have McIntyre who saw quite a bit of snaps toward the end of the year, I think they are still holding out hope for Ricky Sapp, and I'm sure they'll stand up Coples and Richardson on occasion. I was hoping to address this position in the draft, but seeing as they opted for a DB and DE early instead of the possible OLB...I'm guessing Rex feels good about what he's got. That or they plan to use a lot of 4 man fronts giving them flexibility with who they deploy at LB.

I'd expect to see a veteran TE and S signed before camp. I think they are set at OLB for this season.

I know the Jets signed two UDFA TE's. Not that you can bank on them making the team, but I'm sure they'll give them every opportunity to make the roster. Some other FA names out there are Ed Dickson, Randy McMicheal, Dallas Clark, Josh Baker (former Jet)...I'm pretty sure Shiancoe and Kevin Boss are still out there and then someone mentioned the Eagles cut a TE but I'd never heard of him, Evan Moore.

They drafted 2 safeties last year that have been hanging around, along with signing the other Landry. I assume they add a veteran sooner than later. Mikell, Woodson, Rhodes, Sensabaugh, etc.

[..]

I'd expect to see a veteran TE and S signed before camp. I think they are set at OLB for this season.

The FA names at TE, unfortunately, are pretty washed up. I have a feeling they're going to go with what they have there - at least until the mini-draft. Hayden Smith is the real wild card. The man is a freakish athlete. If he can actually make that work on a football field, that'll be incredible. The FB they drafted sounds a lot like a potential H-back, and Mike Shanahan, at least, sounds like an interesting prospect. 

Safety is a different story. I hope they act sooner rather than later there. Those are a few good players still available. 

OLB - they resigned Pace, added Antwan Barnes, still have McIntyre who saw quite a bit of snaps toward the end of the year, I think they are still holding out hope for Ricky Sapp, and I'm sure they'll stand up Coples and Richardson on occasion. I was hoping to address this position in the draft, but seeing as they opted for a DB and DE early instead of the possible OLB...I'm guessing Rex feels good about what he's got. That or they plan to use a lot of 4 man fronts giving them flexibility with who they deploy at LB.

I imagine that Milliner and Richardson were just better prospects than the OLBs (Jordan?) available when they were picking, but I agree that they're pretty okay at the position. Going into the draft, one of the Jets primary needs was pass rusher more than just OLB. Richardson shows real promise as a disruptive force on the inside of the line. I'm sure we can expect his presence to help free up other pass rushers, as well as Rex putting him in different positions to create mismatches. 

Everyone is happy with the WR's?

Will be interesting to see what happens when Holmes goes on IR

Edit:  I misread the thread title

misread or not, I kind of agree. WR is a pretty big hole, I think.

Agree with slats/JIF about the OLB position...I think we're okay for the time being there, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them scoop up another body.

At safety, perhaps we can look at Sensabaugh, Mikell, Bigby, or Babineaux.  At TE, I'd like to entertain the idea of Shiancoe, Boss, or Dallas Clark.

WR I really don't think is as gaping of a hole as draft prognosticators were making it out to be.  Yes, we don't have a franchise cornerstone home-run hitter, but there are solid players there.  Ideally, I'd like to re-sign Braylon.  Cheap and wants to be here.  Holmes, Kerley, Hill, Edwards is not horrendous.

The FA names at TE, unfortunately, are pretty washed up. I have a feeling they're going to go with what they have there - at least until the mini-draft. Hayden Smith is the real wild card. The man is a freakish athlete. If he can actually make that work on a football field, that'll be incredible. The FB they drafted sounds a lot like a potential H-back, and Mike Shanahan, at least, sounds like an interesting prospect. 

Safety is a different story. I hope they act sooner rather than later there. Those are a few good players still available. 

I imagine that Milliner and Richardson were just better prospects than the OLBs (Jordan?) available when they were picking, but I agree that they're pretty okay at the position. Going into the draft, one of the Jets primary needs was pass rusher more than just OLB. Richardson shows real promise as a disruptive force on the inside of the line. I'm sure we can expect his presence to help free up other pass rushers, as well as Rex putting him in different positions to create mismatches. 

I wouldnt put Ed Dickson in the washed up category.  He's young and provides solid blocking as well as some decent hands.  He'd be a nice signing but he doesnt fit the mold of the FA's we've been targeting.  I'm sure they've got enough bodies to give it a look but it wouldnt surprise me if the brought in a veteran, especially one with some passing catching ability (though, those are the names that are pretty washed up). 

Agreed on S.

OLB was a need, because we were rolling out McIntyre and Barnes, but I think resigning Pace elevates it being a must fill position and gave us the flexibility to make a Richardson type selection instead of Jones, per say.

Archived