Giving up PSL - WIll Jets Sue Me?

fortmeister

I seriously doubt any NFL team is going to sue it's own fans.

why not?  They have shown they dont give a flying f#ck about the fans.  they dont care if you root for them or not.  they will want their money one way or another.  if they can find another sucker to buy your PSL then they probably wont pursue anything against you.  If they cant sell it?  I doubt they'll just throw up their hands and say "oh well".  A breach of contract is a breach of contract and they will pursue whatever remedy they can to get their $$$... thats all any sports team cares about is your money.  I hope for your sake they dont go after you.  But dont be surprised or pissed if they do.

why not?  They have shown they dont give a flying f#ck about the fans.  they dont care if you root for them or not.  they will want their money one way or another.  if they can find another sucker to buy your PSL then they probably wont pursue anything against you.  If they cant sell it?  I doubt they'll just throw up their hands and say "oh well".  A breach of contract is a breach of contract and they will pursue whatever remedy they can to get their $$$... thats all any sports team cares about is your money.  I hope for your sake they dont go after you.  But dont be surprised or pissed if they do.

It would be a unprecedented PR nightmare for a franchise that's run out of it's own feet and temples for target practice. And sadlyy it would be typical of the Jets to do something so dumb as to sue their own fans.  

Think the whole PSL thing has been a debacle, a cash grab, naked greed. I have 6 tickets with 2 othjer guys. one of the other people had his house badly damaged by Sandy. My 2nd home is as I type this condemned and scheduled for demolition. My mom's house was burned down. I have way more important things to deal with than this.All of us still might get together and go to a game with all our kids, and we're hopeful to go to Charlotte in December. If you haven't been there, it's a very decent city, all within walking distance with  several nice bars and bbq places,

Needs to be said again; the NFL and the Jets in particular need to know that they have made the game day a total pain in the ass. We paid thousands of dollars,and found ourselves  treated like cattle or criminals, Now if there wasn't PSLs and I still had a 2nd home, may be it would be a different story.But the Jets have made this a very easy decision.

I don't think the Jets are going to sue their fans.  Or they will stop it as soon as they see the ramifications.

The New York newspapers would tear the Jets to pieces.  Both the Daily News and the Post would have pictures on the back pages of sad looking middle class people with headlines like The Jets Took Away My House.  The networks would be running news stories about people being victimized twice-by Hurricane Sandy and then the Jets.

Congressional hearings will commence about the whole issue of PSLs-the NFL really will be happy if that happens.  Not least because once investigations commence about one aspect of a business, they have a way of wandering over into other aspects of the business. When it's all over, the NFL name will be besmirched, and the club will have to move out of the area into another city and change their name.  The New York Jets will end up being a worse disaster than the New York Titans.

I don't think the Jets are going to sue their fans.  Or they will stop it as soon as they see the ramifications.

The New York newspapers would tear the Jets to pieces.  Both the Daily News and the Post would have pictures on the back pages of sad looking middle class people with headlines like The Jets Took Away My House.  The networks would be running news stories about people being victimized twice-by Hurricane Sandy and then the Jets.

Congressional hearings will commence about the whole issue of PSLs-the NFL really will be happy if that happens.  Not least because once investigations commence about one aspect of a business, they have a way of wandering over into other aspects of the business. When it's all over, the NFL name will be besmirched, and the club will have to move out of the area into another city and change their name.  The New York Jets will end up being a worse disaster than the New York Titans.

It'll be something way sillier, The back page will be something "Rex and the Jets take a bite out of the Middle Class!" With a Cartoon dinosaur Rex Ryan taking a bite out of a foreclosed house while a family in Jets gear watches from the driveway. Maybe Woody with a monocle driving by on his segway and a bag of money if they want to get real goofy with it. Congress standing up for poor people against a rich dude? lol. Where you been the last 20 years?

There is no way they try to sue for breach of contract- the jets org would be torn apart. What is going to happen as stated if you walk away you lose the money you already paid for the PSL

The USFL case established the NFL is in fact a monopoly. The treble damages check payable to Donald Trump for all of $3 remains to this day uncashed. There are all kinds of issues-the draft, the salary cap, taxpayer-funded stadiums, tv contracts, retired players' disability coverage-the NFL does not want to discuss. Every time Al Davis took the NFL to court, he pretty much kicked their ass. If some rich disgruntled (and is anyone who is happy "gruntled"?) owner went off the reservation and decided he wanted nothing to do with salary caps, the structure of the draft  and revenue sharing, all clear antitrust violations of a legally-estalblished monopoly, there's a very good chance all 3 conventions would be overturned. The Niners under Debartolo violated the cap in the Steve Young Super Bowl season; so did the Broncos in the later 1990s and the Skins and Cowboys only 2 years ago. Now it's not likely to occurr because they don't let renegades into their club. Simply put suing fans puts a whole host of financial issues back in the spotlight, and it's something no sensible NFL commissioner would want.

Ramifications? Please.  Most people would actually support the Jets in suing its fans for breach of contract.  it wouldnt be as bad of a P.R. nightmare as you people think it would be.  Would the papers jump all over it? Of course they would!  But all the Jets have to say is they signed a contract and are now breaching the contract due to no fault of the jets.

It would be a unprecedented PR nightmare for a franchise that's run out of it's own feet and temples for target practice. And sadlyy it would be typical of the Jets to do something so dumb as to sue their own fans.  

Think the whole PSL thing has been a debacle, a cash grab, naked greed. I have 6 tickets with 2 othjer guys. one of the other people had his house badly damaged by Sandy. My 2nd home is as I type this condemned and scheduled for demolition. My mom's house was burned down. I have way more important things to deal with than this.All of us still might get together and go to a game with all our kids, and we're hopeful to go to Charlotte in December. If you haven't been there, it's a very decent city, all within walking distance with  several nice bars and bbq places,

Needs to be said again; the NFL and the Jets in particular need to know that they have made the game day a total pain in the ass. We paid thousands of dollars,and found ourselves  treated like cattle or criminals, Now if there wasn't PSLs and I still had a 2nd home, may be it would be a different story.But the Jets have made this a very easy decision.

Real life sucks sometimes.  One of the many reasons why I didnt even consider PSL's since I couldnt see 30 years into the future and who knows what crap will happen in your life.

Whether it was a cash grab or not, greed or not, you still bought the PSL.  And now are breaking the contract.  Nobody forced a gun to your head.  Nobody threatened to beat you.  You went into it willingly and now are breaking the contract through no fault of the jets.  As i've said... I hope they dont come after fans.  But if they do, they are entitled to it.  and the P.R. disaster wont happen like everyone thinks it will.

There is no way they try to sue for breach of contract- the jets org would be torn apart. What is going to happen as stated if you walk away you lose the money you already paid for the PSL

and what? People would stop being fans and going to games?  :rl:   please.  this organization is all about being a P.R. nightmare.   

and what? People would stop being fans and going to games?   :rl:   please.

Yes.

What you forget in your "you bought the contract so deal with it" analysis is what kind of business the New York Jets are in.

They are not real estate developers, they are not securities traders, they are not plumbing suppliers.

They are in the We Represent You business.  And they are heir to a tradition where fathers take sons to games and these become life memories.  And the whole area is proud when the team does well.

That 's why teams emphasize the family angle and all the rest.  Going to a game should be a pleasant thing, one of the nice things in life you look forward to.

Nailing a guy's ass to the wall because you have a contract belongs to the part of life that we try to escape when we go to a game. 

We all know and talk about the business side of things.  But underlying the whole enterprise is that the fans feel the Jets represent them. And if the Jets get haughty and scummy enough to go after the fans who no longer can afford the PSL's, (after a hurricane strikes, fer Chrissake), the fans will no longer feel the Jets represent anything but themselves.

Real life sucks sometimes.  One of the many reasons why I didnt even consider PSL's since I couldnt see 30 years into the future and who knows what crap will happen in your life.

Whether it was a cash grab or not, greed or not, you still bought the PSL.  And now are breaking the contract.  Nobody forced a gun to your head.  Nobody threatened to beat you.  You went into it willingly and now are breaking the contract through no fault of the jets.  As i've said... I hope they dont come after fans.  But if they do, they are entitled to it.  and the P.R. disaster wont happen like everyone thinks it will.

There is a libertarian part of me that agrees. But there's tradeoffs to everything in life. And as for the Jets,are they better simply selling the tickets to someone else, or do they instead deal with a media firestorm (and it would be THAT BAD) of suing their fans?

We've made our decision.

Again, I also have family who have Jints tickets; it's the same thing, except they actually host playoff games more often than eclipses, are well-run and win championships more often than half a century.Even with those people, the PSL is rubbing even those fans the worng way.

Would note that the Jets, even in the Kotitian abyss sold out every game without spending dime one on ads of any kind. .  Now? They are forced to advertise.

Archived