Namath's take on Rex Ryan

shhwagah

As we all know, Cimini can't stop talking to Joe Namath about the Jets because they both share the same passionate dislike for our team. So here's Cimini's "last" tidbit from their most recent interview:

1. Another cup of Joe: I realize some people might be Namath-ed out after the last few days, but I'd like to share some leftovers from our conversation the other day. Joe Namath has very strong opinions (gee, what a shock) on Rex Ryan. He doesn't care for Ryan's player-friendly approach, which he believes contributed to the team's two-year slide. 

The 50 Greatest Jets
ny_50_jets_ill_b2_203.jpg

Drawn from more than five decades of history, ESPN New York presents its 50 Greatest Jets. Top 50 photo.png  Rank 'Em

"I’ve always said I've never seen that kind of coaching style before in my life," Namath said. "The first two seasons, you win. Hey, OK. In the meantime, those teams were inherited to some extent. The psyche of the team got in a place where they’re spending more time thinking about what they've done rather than what they're doing and what they're going to do. 

"Coaches, they all want to feel like they're loved. Nice. Nice. Nice. Don Shula was hated by some of his players. Coach [bear] Bryant was hated by some of his players. Bill Belichick, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll. Come on, you can't be Mr. Nice Guy as a head coach. You have too many players that have to be disciplined. Trying to be everybody's buddy at one time, I don't what that coach is. I think that's one of the situations Rex created, being a really friendly guy. He's got everybody's back. Yeah, he's got everybody's back until you get rid of them. Excuse me, this is a business." 

Namath also suggested the recent coaching defections on Ryan's staff are a poor reflection of Ryan, saying: "When your coaches are leaving you, it's not a good endorsement of the head guy. This goes back to [bill] Callahan and [brian] Schottenheimer. They weren't getting the offensive input in the draft they would've liked and they saw the writing on the wall, so to speak. Our defensive coordinator for the last four years [Mike Pettine], where's he? New job, OK, but I don't know if it's moving up. When it comes to coaching, if you're not happy, you move around. You leave to improve your chances of becoming a head coach or it's jumping ship because you don't like how the captain has been handling it." 

Tell us how you really feel, Joe.

I'll tell you flat out- I'm sick of Joe Namath and his comments. You don't like the HC, you don't like the owner, you don't like the new GM's decisions. Great we all have opinions, some Jet fans agree with you Joe. But here's the thing- STFU about it! 

In case you haven't heard, Joe, the NY media loves when someone with a media qualified voice (and we all know you are qualified, you've made a name for yourself and we love you for it) tears down the Jets. Just stop it. 

Do you have some valid points? Sure you do. Are you helping the organization at all with your opinions and comments? Probably not, dude. The owner isn't going to sell the team to someone better qualified than him. Rex Ryan is already on the hot seat and we are watching his every move. I'd say close to all, but definitely most, Jet fans are excited about the way Idzik is running things. 

Joe, if you need someone to talk to, maybe Suzy Kolber will chat now that you seem semi-sober. Your time is over Joe. Thank you for all the memories and everything you've done for the Jets. Its time to gracefully fade into obscurity, like the rest of the dignified greats.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's wrong about Pettine.

Next promotion for Pettine was HC and he's not getting it as the DC of a defense-only HC running only said-HC's defensive scheme.  Only way for him to get that promotion is to make it on his own away from Rex.  It would be one thing if being a defensive coach from the Rex coaching tree was an asset on a resume but that seems unlikely.

He's not wrong

That doesn't mean he's right. Who is he to say that Rex Ryan's coaching style is not good for players? Joe Namath says Ryan can't be successful with his style of coaching. Ok, well there were people that said Joe Willie couldn't win a Superbowl with his off the field habits and his lack of focus in practice. He proved them wrong. Give Rex a chance to prove his doubters wrong. I'm sure he has one more season to do it. IT'S ALL OPINIONS. No one is right. 

In 2009 and 2010 seasons, Rex coached up a team that had absolutely no superstars. Revis was coming into his own at the time, I guess you could maybe make a case for him. But the rest of the team were all cast offs that won the Tannenbaum sweepstakes. I'd like to see what Rex can do with a capable set of players and coaches. 

That's my opinion. It's not right or wrong, just the way I see it. 

It worked...he got us to comment on his narrative...

That's all Namath wants these days. Is for everyone to recognize how great he was and to remind us he was the last to do it. So his opinion has to be the right way. 

That doesn't mean he's right. Who is he to say that Rex Ryan's coaching style is not good for players? Joe Namath says Ryan can't be successful with his style of coaching. Ok, well there were people that said Joe Willie couldn't win a Superbowl with his off the field habits and his lack of focus in practice. He proved them wrong. Give Rex a chance to prove his doubters wrong. I'm sure he has one more season to do it. IT'S ALL OPINIONS. No one is right. 

In 2009 and 2010 seasons, Rex coached up a team that had absolutely no superstars. Revis was coming into his own at the time, I guess you could maybe make a case for him. But the rest of the team were all cast offs that won the Tannenbaum sweepstakes. I'd like to see what Rex can do with a capable set of players and coaches. 

He proved his doubters right in 2011 when he made a mockery of the concept of captains to the point he had to do away with it all together. His team quit on him and without adjusting his style of coaching to that of a head coach, not a DC who likes doing press conferance and being everybodys BFF, which I've still seen no indication of he isn't going to win.

He proved his doubters right in 2011 when he made a mockery of the concept of captains to the point he had to do away with it all together. His team quit on him and without adjusting his style of coaching to that of a head coach, not a DC who likes doing press conferance and being everybodys BFF, which I've still seen no indication of he isn't going to win.

Coaches make mistakes all the time. Plus he was a relatively new HC at the time he named captains. I never said Rex was the perfect HC. There's a ton of sh*t he's done that's made me scratch my head. I hate how clueless he seemed about the locker room and how inept he is with the offensive side of the ball. There's a bunch of good things he brings as HC too though. I'm not looking at Rex Ryan as a clown. That's the way the media painted him. I make my own opinions considering facts, not second hand opinions of facts.

The fact of the matter is he's got one year left as HC if he doesn't get it together. I'm hoping the staff and player changes help put him in a better position to succeed this season. Personally, there is nothing I like better than having a coach that's proud of his players and is unafraid to show it; but the bottom line is that coach has to win. 

You may have taken the same facts I took, interpreted them in your own way, and judge Rex a terrible coach. So no disrespect.

Namath as usual is right on the money !!

Sure hes a bit wacky at times but that does not mean he does not know the game of football and how things should work around a football organization. If he was not a blazing drunk for a lot of years I think he would have made a good GM type thank god hes got his crap together now with the drinking.

That's all Namath wants these days. Is for everyone to recognize how great he was and to remind us he was the last to do it. So his opinion has to be the right way. 

I meant Cimini..but might as well throw Joe into the mix as well...everyone has something to...Woody, Rex and the Jets sure do make others gossip... 

Namath as usual is right on the money !!

Sure hes a bit wacky at times but that does not mean he does not know the game of football and how things should work around a football organization. If he was not a blazing drunk for a lot of years I think he would have made a good GM type thank god hes got his crap together now with the drinking.

When did Joe ever take life seriously after football...doubt he would have worked hard enough to produce a winner...he only speaking out now in attempt to stay relevant.

Coaches make mistakes all the time. Plus he was a relatively new HC at the time he named captains. I never said Rex was the perfect HC. There's a ton of sh*t he's done that's made me scratch my head. I hate how clueless he seemed about the locker room and how inept he is with the offensive side of the ball. There's a bunch of good things he brings as HC too though. I'm not looking at Rex Ryan as a clown. That's the way the media painted him. I make my own opinions considering facts, not second hand opinions of facts.

The fact of the matter is he's got one year left as HC if he doesn't get it together. I'm hoping the staff and player changes help put him in a better position to succeed this season. Personally, there is nothing I like better than having a coach that's proud of his players and is unafraid to show it; but the bottom line is that coach has to win. 

You may have taken the same facts I took, interpreted them in your own way, and judge Rex a terrible coach. So no disrespect.

you know what .. making excuses for Head Coaches does not fly in this league no one gives a damn if coaches are new/rookies they are judged via the bottom line. Everyone who is a Jets fan had to know when things started going sour things would turn bad for Rex, why ? because hes a loud mouth and hes always bragging about things hes never done. That will only get you so far before people start screaming for reality.

The reality is Rex inherited a team that had talent. His defensive coaching was the missing link. He made it to 2 AFC championships and now that the personnel is starting to change so id the team and Rex missed the playoffs 2 years in a row. Now when you look at our offensive personnel you see garbage especially in the areas of role players like the ones we lost and did not replace. Rex is also being judged for his input in personnel because you know Tannenbaum was not making the calls without consulting with Rex so yes he is semi responsible in that respect as well.

When did Joe ever take life seriously after football...doubt he would have worked hard enough to produce a winner...he only speaking out now in attempt to stay relevant.

You very well could be right JC but Namath has always been involved with the Jets and always visable. I think if he didnt go down the road of a drunk his career would have turned out mucgh differently. He was even a pretty damn good announcer and I think he lost that gig due to being a raging drunk as well. I guess we'll never know.

I don't think Joe seeks these interviews out. People ask him questions and he answers them honestly. It's refreshing. I'm sure Joe has more money in the bank than he'll ever need, and he's NFL royalty besides. This isn't Joe Theismann or Sean Salisbury throwing molotovs in hopes of landing a paycheck.

I don't think Joe seeks these interviews out. People ask him questions and he answers them honestly. It's refreshing. I'm sure Joe has more money in the bank than he'll ever need, and he's NFL royalty besides. This isn't Joe Theismann or Sean Salisbury throwing molotovs in hopes of landing a paycheck.

well said

You very well could be right JC but Namath has always been involved with the Jets and always visable. I think if he didnt go down the road of a drunk his career would have turned out mucgh differently. He was even a pretty damn good announcer and I think he lost that gig due to being a raging drunk as well. I guess we'll never know.

Really don't have a problem with Joe speaking his mind...but Cimini just wants to stir the pot...nothing really productive in it...we all chose our own distractions...Joe chose his...don't disagree with his choice...but really...he never was serious enough, disciplined enough to run a football organization...he's just a fan now...just like us...he wants the Jets to win...and looks for someone to blame when they don't...just like us.

Yeah, what I said in response to Smash applies to your post as well.  Joe just speaking his mind...

Really don't have a problem with Joe speaking his mind...but Cimini just wants to stir the pot...nothing really productive in it...we all chose our own distractions...Joe chose his...don't disagree with his choice...but really...he never was serious enough, disciplined enough to run a football organization...he's just a fan now...just like us...he wants the Jets to win...and looks for someone to blame when they don't...just like us.

cant really argue with ya bud all valid points

cant really argue with ya bud all valid points

The problem I have Smash, and it's not with Joe but the New York media...I don't live there...so maybe it's just my perception...but Cimini and the buffoons that hire him and the rest their ilk will write anything to provoke a reaction...their motivation is to sell versus understand...I get the angle...just don't want to bother with it...

As we all know, Cimini can't stop talking to Joe Namath about the Jets because they both share the same passionate dislike for our team. So here's Cimini's "last" tidbit from their most recent interview:

1. Another cup of Joe: I realize some people might be Namath-ed out after the last few days, but I'd like to share some leftovers from our conversation the other day. Joe Namath has very strong opinions (gee, what a shock) on Rex Ryan. He doesn't care for Ryan's player-friendly approach, which he believes contributed to the team's two-year slide. 

The 50 Greatest Jets

ny_50_jets_ill_b2_203.jpg

Drawn from more than five decades of history, ESPN New York presents its 50 Greatest Jets. Top 50 photo.png  Rank 'Em

"I’ve always said I've never seen that kind of coaching style before in my life," Namath said. "The first two seasons, you win. Hey, OK. In the meantime, those teams were inherited to some extent. The psyche of the team got in a place where they’re spending more time thinking about what they've done rather than what they're doing and what they're going to do. 

"Coaches, they all want to feel like they're loved. Nice. Nice. Nice. Don Shula was hated by some of his players. Coach [bear] Bryant was hated by some of his players. Bill Belichick, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll. Come on, you can't be Mr. Nice Guy as a head coach. You have too many players that have to be disciplined. Trying to be everybody's buddy at one time, I don't what that coach is. I think that's one of the situations Rex created, being a really friendly guy. He's got everybody's back. Yeah, he's got everybody's back until you get rid of them. Excuse me, this is a business." 

Namath also suggested the recent coaching defections on Ryan's staff are a poor reflection of Ryan, saying: "When your coaches are leaving you, it's not a good endorsement of the head guy. This goes back to [bill] Callahan and [brian] Schottenheimer. They weren't getting the offensive input in the draft they would've liked and they saw the writing on the wall, so to speak. Our defensive coordinator for the last four years [Mike Pettine], where's he? New job, OK, but I don't know if it's moving up. When it comes to coaching, if you're not happy, you move around. You leave to improve your chances of becoming a head coach or it's jumping ship because you don't like how the captain has been handling it." 

Tell us how you really feel, Joe.

I'll tell you flat out- I'm sick of Joe Namath and his comments. You don't like the HC, you don't like the owner, you don't like the new GM's decisions. Great we all have opinions, some Jet fans agree with you Joe. But here's the thing- STFU about it! 

In case you haven't heard, Joe, the NY media loves when someone with a media qualified voice (and we all know you are qualified, you've made a name for yourself and we love you for it) tears down the Jets. Just stop it. 

Do you have some valid points? Sure you do. Are you helping the organization at all with your opinions and comments? Probably not, dude. The owner isn't going to sell the team to someone better qualified than him. Rex Ryan is already on the hot seat and we are watching his every move. I'd say close to all, but definitely most, Jet fans are excited about the way Idzik is running things. 

Joe, if you need someone to talk to, maybe Suzy Kolber will chat now that you seem semi-sober. Your time is over Joe. Thank you for all the memories and everything you've done for the Jets. Its time to gracefully fade into obscurity, like the rest of the dignified greats.

Sorry,  but I couldn't possibly agree more with Joe and I'm glad he said what he did and hope that he will continue.  Unless or until the Jets win another SB or Namath dies, he rightfully holds the place as spokesman for the Jets.  I don't always agree with everything Joe says or does, but in this case, I think he's spot on with his analysis.  I think more former Jets ought to speak out.  Woody won't sell the team, but maybe if he gets embarrassed enough with former Jets speaking out, he'll do something about it.  Since Tanny was fired and Idzik hired, it seems like maybe the light has gone on, or is going on with Woody.  Hopefully so.  If it has, it's probably due to Joe speaking out publicly and being critical.  He probably said those things to Woody and Tanny privately first, but it fell on deaf ears.

Rex needs to do a 180 in his approach to the team or he needs to be fired.  It's a shame, because he is an excellent defensive coach and coordinator, but that's not his job with the Jets.  His job is Head Coach, and he isn't doing the job he was hired to do.  Rex, more than anyone else is responsible for the circus atmosphere around the team and making the Jets the laughingstock of the NFL and whipping boy of the media.  Woody, Rex and the Jets  deserve every bit of disrespect that they're being shown.  I have high hopes that Idzik will turn things around, but he has to be given a free hand to do his job.  If Woody hamstrings him by forcing him to keep Rex, then things will not improve.  I'm hoping that Idzik laid down a set of guidelines that Rex must follow this year to keep his job.  He needs to keep his mouth shut, do a better job preparing the team to play, the offense must play much better, and the team must show some discipline and improvement.  Rex also needs to make players accountable for their words and play.  No more loosey-goosey, buddy-buddy BS.  It will be hard for him to make that change, and hard for the older players to accept, but they must or Rex must go.

He's wrong about Pettine.

Next promotion for Pettine was HC and he's not getting it as the DC of a defense-only HC running only said-HC's defensive scheme.  Only way for him to get that promotion is to make it on his own away from Rex.  It would be one thing if being a defensive coach from the Rex coaching tree was an asset on a resume but that seems unlikely.

While I agree that being from Rex Ryan Coaching Tree wouldn't help him, I disagree with your take that Joe is wrong about Pettine.  Pettine made it very clear that he had zero interest in returning to the Jets early on.  If he just wanted to move up, he would have said something to that extent, and maybe not have been so adamant about not returning.  I think his leaving had everything to do with Rex's lack of discipline, with his continuing to trot Sanchez out there, to his cluelessness about offense, to the circus atmosphere that Rex has created.  Pettine's father is/was  HC.  Pettine has been a HC before.  He's more no-nonsense, and more disciplined and cerebral than Rex could ever hope to be.

While I agree that being from Rex Ryan Coaching Tree wouldn't help him, I disagree with your take that Joe is wrong about Pettine.  Pettine made it very clear that he had zero interest in returning to the Jets early on.  If he just wanted to move up, he would have said something to that extent, and maybe not have been so adamant about not returning.  I think his leaving had everything to do with Rex's lack of discipline, with his continuing to trot Sanchez out there, to his cluelessness about offense, to the circus atmosphere that Rex has created.  Pettine's father is/was  HC.  Pettine has been a HC before.  He's more no-nonsense, and more disciplined and cerebral than Rex could ever hope to be.

seems like you just dont like rex.

when pettine took over the D wasnt as good so rex was taking control back. Doesnt look well for pettine and i bet he got away because he realized rex would take over and get all the credit if the D was great which rex deserves

Again I disagree, and I think you are wrong.  Rex's style of coaching has NEVER worked in the NFL for long.  That's not opinion, but a well-known fact.  Player Coaches usually do well for a year or two following a strict disciplinarian, but then by year three things start falling apart because of the lack of discipline and accountability.  I've been watching the NFL for 50 years and have seen it happen time and again.

You're also wrong about the the 2009 and 2010 teams.  While you're right that they had no superstar save Revis, they did have solid, high character veteran players who were disciplined, and they had excellent veteran leadership.  The team overachieved because of the bump that player coaches always get.  Rex followed the oppressive/repressive Mangini.  Things were more fun for the players and they got on a roll.  Then Rex and Tanny dismantled that roster over the next two seasons and replaced those tough, high character, disciplined vets with undisciplined, low character players.  Rex kept Schottenheimer and Cavanaugh and Sanchez showed little or no improvement.  Rex continued to make the team a circus with his stupid comments and allowed players to say whatever.  He admitted he lost control of the locker room for two straight seasons.  Those are facts, not opinion.  Rex is the one who engineered the mess this team is in with a big assist from Tranny (intentional misspelling).

Again I disagree, and I think you are wrong.  Rex's style of coaching has NEVER worked in the NFL for long.  That's not opinion, but a well-known fact.  Player Coaches usually do well for a year or two following a strict disciplinarian, but then by year three things start falling apart because of the lack of discipline and accountability.  I've been watching the NFL for 50 years and have seen it happen time and again.

You're also wrong about the the 2009 and 2010 teams.  While you're right that they had no superstar save Revis, they did have solid, high character veteran players who were disciplined, and they had excellent veteran leadership.  The team overachieved because of the bump that player coaches always get.  Rex followed the oppressive/repressive Mangini.  Things were more fun for the players and they got on a roll.  Then Rex and Tanny dismantled that roster over the next two seasons and replaced those tough, high character, disciplined vets with undisciplined, low character players.  Rex kept Schottenheimer and Cavanaugh and Sanchez showed little or no improvement.  Rex continued to make the team a circus with his stupid comments and allowed players to say whatever.  He admitted he lost control of the locker room for two straight seasons.  Those are facts, not opinion.  Rex is the one who engineered the mess this team is in with a big assist from Tranny (intentional misspelling).

i thought the biggest problem was we didnt replace those vets and instead of young players we got slow old overpaid guys

Sorry,  but I couldn't possibly agree more with Joe and I'm glad he said what he did and hope that he will continue.  Unless or until the Jets win another SB or Namath dies, he rightfully holds the place as spokesman for the Jets.  I don't always agree with everything Joe says or does, but in this case, I think he's spot on with his analysis.

A thousand times, this.

Sometimes he's wrong or off (as I hope he will be with Geno Smith), but a lot of stuff he says turns out to be spot on. The guy knows football and seems to have a knack for knowing how a lot of things are going to play out long term.

When the team was winning, Rex was a genius. When things started going south, it's obvious that his technique of being everyone's buddy and letting anyone say whatever they wanted - particularly to the media - was hurting. He's not saying Rex can't turn it around, he's saying that if Rex is going to turn it around, he's going to have to change, because his schtick doesn't work forever. When things get bad for guys like Rex, they get ugly, too.

Everyone likes Rex as a person. He needs to be a different coach is all.

you know what .. making excuses for Head Coaches does not fly in this league no one gives a damn if coaches are new/rookies they are judged via the bottom line. Everyone who is a Jets fan had to know when things started going sour things would turn bad for Rex, why ? because hes a loud mouth and hes always bragging about things hes never done. That will only get you so far before people start screaming for reality.

The reality is Rex inherited a team that had talent. His defensive coaching was the missing link. He made it to 2 AFC championships and now that the personnel is starting to change so id the team and Rex missed the playoffs 2 years in a row. Now when you look at our offensive personnel you see garbage especially in the areas of role players like the ones we lost and did not replace. Rex is also being judged for his input in personnel because you know Tannenbaum was not making the calls without consulting with Rex so yes he is semi responsible in that respect as well.

Spot on!  He has been around the NFL and coaching practically his whole life.  His dad was a HC.  Rex was with the Ravens for how many years and even got to be a part of a SB winner.  He should have known before he took the job what it entailed to be a successful HC.  There were certainly plenty of examples of failed player coaches in NFL history if Rex cared to pay attention and learn.

Rex IS a loudmouth, braggart, and I would add coward/bully.  He talks tough, but when it comes down to it, he folds.  He gets too conservative and cautious.  His team reflects his personality.  They don't play tough, smart or disciplined.  They talk out of their ass too.

I despise Cimini, but did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe Cimini wants to cover a real football team, one that plays tough and smart, is disciplined and is a class organization?  If you were a sportswriter would you want to cover a team that had been an embarrassment and joke through most of its history?  I know I wouldn't.

The problem I have Smash, and it's not with Joe but the New York media...I don't live there...so maybe it's just my perception...but Cimini and the buffoons that hire him and the rest their ilk will write anything to provoke a reaction...their motivation is to sell versus understand...I get the angle...just don't want to bother with it...

You are spot on with this.  When I first moved to NYC in '86, it was a revelation.  The tabloids use sensational headlines and write all kinds of outrageous BS just to get people to buy and read their papers and get a reaction from them.  This is happening in the rest of the country too.    I can't remember who it was, but at some point in the early 90's I wrote a reporter and took him to task for his editorializing, sensationalism and making the article so opinionated, rather than factual.  His response was that is how they are being taught in journalism school now.  It's all about hype and selling papers, not facts.

Rex Ryan is 34-30 with 4 road playoff wins and has 1 losing season as HC with Mark Sanchez as his QB.  Apparently his style works, Mr. Namath. 

Namath says he's not on speaking terms of the team, so his access is no more than that a fan.  His knowledge of the game as it was 40 years ago isn't all that pertinent and it couldn't be more obvious that Namath is just trying to stay relevant.  This is no great defense of Rex either, just the fact that at this point, Namath's opinion is no different than anyone else's.

People who think he's wealthy and doesn't need these spots on ESPN and is an innocent guy who just keeps getting asked questions... Where does he have so much money from at this point in his life, and why does he have quotes every week?  Namath wants all of this.  No question.

I despise Cimini, but did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe Cimini wants to cover a real football team, one that plays tough and smart, is disciplined and is a class organization?  If you were a sportswriter would you want to cover a team that had been an embarrassment and joke through most of its history?  I know I wouldn't.

We all make choices and those choices lead to consequences...Cimini could have negotiated another beat with the hacks from the Daily News or ESPN at anytime...instead he plays roll out the barrel at every chance he gets and disguises himself as a sports reporter...I refuse to feel sorry for him...I'm a fan...my choice, my consequences...he's a tool looking to make money for the media that employs him...from the circus atmosphere he helps promote.

We all make choices and those choices lead to consequences...Cimini could have negotiated another beat with the hacks from the Daily News or ESPN at anytime...instead he plays roll out the barrel at every chance he gets and disguises himself as a sports reporter...I refuse to feel sorry for him...I'm a fan...my choice, my consequences...he's a tool looking to make money for the media that employs him...from the circus atmosphere he helps promote.

do what you can do to make money.

I think most of you are missing my point a little, partly because I've been trying to defend Rex Ryan our head coach who has a Superbowl ring, and has never coached (assistant/coordinator or otherwise) a defense outside of top 10. Coincidence? Doubt it. 

My point is Joe Willie Namath has no more say as a spokesperson for the Jets, than Jim Brown does for the Browns. Joe Namath is opinionated like we all are, but our opinions aren't stuffed into the face of millions of people laughing at the Jets dysfunctional perception. Namath is entitled to his opinon, right or wrong (I see most of you agree "right"), but Cimini, O'Connor, Mehta and all these other as*hole writers are quoting Joe Namath on the Jets' dime. Really our dime. Its kind of like your hero talking sh*t about your team, and the villian using the sh*t to make your team look bad, and the hero is all the while loving it. It doesn't matter if your hero is right or wrong, this is your team. Where do you draw the line? 

Archived