July, 18, 2013

Jul 18

6:00

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Breaking down the Jets, position by position, as we head to training camp:

Position: Tight end

Projected starter: Jeff Cumberland.

Projected reserves: Kellen Winslow, Konrad Reuland.

New faces: Winslow.

The departed: Dustin Keller.

Player to watch: Winslow, who earned a non-guaranteed contract after a minicamp audition, says his goal is to catch 100 passes. Maybe he should start with 100 snaps. Winslow will be fascinating to watch in camp because of what he used to be, but don't expect him to be the Jets' tight-end savior. He turns 30 in a couple of weeks and has bad knees, the result of multiple surgeries. He was in such pain last season that he lasted only one game (four snaps) with the Patriots. He says he feels fine, but camp will be a battle. His reps will be monitored and he'll need plenty of rest, which will hurt his ability to develop chemistry with the quarterbacks. This could be an amazing comeback story, but it's a long shot.

Jeff Cumberland

Jeff Cumberland

#87 TE

New York Jets

2012 STATS

Rec29

Yds359

TD3

Avg12.4

Long39

YAC121

Potential strength: Cumberland has a chance to establish himself as a legitimate starting tight end in the league. Because of injuries to Keller, he played a lot last season (592 snaps), displaying an ability to make plays in the deep seams. Cumberland has the raw talent to become a solid pass-catching tight end, but his overall game needs more consistency, especially the mental aspect. It's a contract year for Cumberland, so there will be plenty of motivation.

Potential weakness: The entire position could be deemed a weakness on the team. This is one of the least accomplished tight-end groups in the league; the players not named Winslow have a combined total of only 45 career receptions. We don't mean to pile on, but there also isn't a true blocking tight end in the group. The Jets might regret passing on former Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert with the 13th pick.

Wild card: Hayden Smith, the former English rugby star, was one of the most improved players on the team in minicamp. He looks the part (6-foot-6, 255 pounds) and flashes unusual athleticism, but he's way behind in terms of actual game experience. Remember, he didn't start playing organized football until last year. He needs a lot of reps on the practice field and in preseason games. At that point, the Jets will have a better idea if Smith has what it takes.

Say what you will about Cimini (and I think he's an idiot), but the following line is actually pretty funny imo:

Player to watch: Winslow, who earned a non-guaranteed contract after a minicamp audition, says his goal is to catch 100 passes. Maybe he should start with 100 snaps. 

This is a Camp Preview.  

We only have 7 TEs going into camp.  Would it kill a fella to at least mention the other THREE tight ends going into camp?

and what is this sh*t about not having a blocking TE? I thought that was EXACTLY what either Chris Pantale, or Mike Shanahan was brought in for.  I don't know which one is which, because my team's beat writer didn't mention it in the Camp Preview! 

This is a Camp Preview.  

We only have 7 TEs going into camp.  Would it kill a fella to at least mention the other THREE tight ends going into camp?

and what is this sh*t about not having a blocking TE? I thought that was EXACTLY what either Chris Pantale, or Mike Shanahan was brought in for.  I don't know which one is which, because my team's beat writer didn't mention it in the Camp Preview! 

I think Pantale is as much receiver as blocker, but he must be who you mean.  Shanahan was a college WR with good size and a good attitude that they are trying to convert.  Like Cumberland, only Shanahan ran 4.81 instead of 4.45.

Archived