QB Update From Rex And Marty

JetNation

As we mentioned earlier, Mark Sanchez will be the Jets starting QB when they take the field on Friday night against the Detroit Lions.  Offensive coordinator Marty Morhinweg and head coach Rex Ryan spoke about the quarterback situation today.

Marty Morhinweg gave his assessment of the quarterbacks:

Well, all four of our quarterbacks have done an outstanding job with their preparation as well as on the field. Now, I suppose you’re asking specifically about Mark (Sanchez) and Geno (Smith). Mark’s had an outstanding camp. There’s been about a day and a half where he took a little dip. Early in the Green and White it was a little rough for him but I was proud of him because things didn’t go just the way that we wanted them to and then he hung in there and hung in there and then made a heck of a play right at the end there. Geno’s been similar. He’s had a terrific start to camp. He did some very good things in the Green and White as well. And then he’s dipped just a little bit so he’s got to recover. I think he threw his first interception, two of them. Was it yesterday? I’m getting the days mixed up a little bit. We’ll see how he rebounds. Today was a little bit better than yesterday.

Morhinweg also discussed how the reps would be split in the first preseason game:

We have discussed it.  We have a plan that is not stamped, and we will continue to discuss that right up until we travel and we know who’s available.  So the plan is still just a little bit rough there.  We’re going to do some extensive work on that tonight, we have a pretty good sketch up, but exactly the play time for each individual player as well.  So when you talk about ones, well some of the ones might play a little bit longer because we need some reps and those type of things.  Mark will, this is his game, he’ll start and go with the ones.  Then we would certainly like to get Geno in, just a little bit with the ones, then he will take the twos and we will progress from there.

Rex Ryan was asked why Sanchez was starting over Smith:

Well again it’s been an even competition, we’ve been rotating days and things like that and certainly he’s the incumbent. But again, the competition starts off, we’ll see how it goes from here, but it seemed like the natural thing to do.

How long will the starters play?  Will Geno Smith play against Detroit’s starters.  Rex chimed in on that by saying:

I can’t make that decision. I’ll call up (Lions Head Coach Jim Schwartz), ‘Hey Schwartz, how about leaving the ones out there?’(Joking) I don’t think he’s going for that. “You want us to hold bags too?” (laughter) I don’t think he’s going to agree to that (joking).

I think Rex is reasonably clear here.  The competition is fairly even between Sanchez and Smith,  Sanchez gets to start and they'll try to bring Geno in early enough to get a few snaps vs the Lions'  #1 defense.  Then he has a long stint against the twos.

What I bring away from this answer is two things:

1.   They seem to place value on the concept of incumbency.  Slats has said repeatedly it's like boxing, the challenger has to decisively beat the champ to get the decision-that seems to be how the Jets are operating with Sanchez and Smith.

2.  Though the competition is even overall, the last few days Sanchez has looked better in their eyes than Smith, including the Green & White scrimmage.  Matt 39 and TOm Shane were there and disagree, but that's how Rex and Marty see it.  The competition is still close though.

I think Rex is reasonably clear here.  The competition is fairly even between Sanchez and Smith,  Sanchez gets to start and they'll try to bring Geno in early enough to get a few snaps vs the Lions'  #1 defense.  Then he has a long stint against the twos.

1.   They seem to place value on the concept of incumbency.  Slats has said repeatedly it's like boxing, the challenger has to decisively beat the champ to get the decision-that seems to be how the Jets are operating with Sanchez and Smith.

2.  Though the competition is even overall, the last few days Sanchez has looked better in their eyes than Smith, including the Green & White scrimmage.  Matt 39 and TOm Shane were there and disagree, but that's how Rex and Marty see it.  The competition is still close though.

I've agreed with slats all along that it was Sanchez' job to lose and that Geno would have to beat him out by a wide margin to earn the starting job.  IMO, that's as it should be.  Vets have earned that respect, and I think the young players need to "earn" a starting position.  It's a way of motivating them to work harder.  I think this also will help Geno in the long run.  It gives him more time and less pressure to get comfortable in the NFL, adjust to the speed of the game, learn the offense, make sure his fundamentals and footwork are correct, and the OL time to gel.

it's ironic that all the people who hate Sanchez want the Jets to ruin Geno the same way by giving him a job he didn't earn. Mark should have had real competition before year 5 and Geno should win the job outright, not be given it. no more giving people jobs.

I've agreed with slats all along that it was Sanchez' job to lose and that Geno would have to beat him out by a wide margin to earn the starting job.  IMO, that's as it should be.  Vets have earned that respect, and I think the young players need to "earn" a starting position.  It's a way of motivating them to work harder.  I think this also will help Geno in the long run.  It gives him more time and less pressure to get comfortable in the NFL, adjust to the speed of the game, learn the offense, make sure his fundamentals and footwork are correct, and the OL time to gel.

sanchez has "earned" bubkis.. in fact, he's earned a pink slip

it's ironic that all the people who hate Sanchez want the Jets to ruin Geno the same way by giving him a job he didn't earn. Mark should have had real competition before year 5 and Geno should win the job outright, not be given it. no more giving people jobs.

We haven't even had the first preseason game yet. Can we hold off on the who's earned what for now?

sanchez has "earned" bubkis.. in fact, he's earned a pink slip

I agree that he's earned a pink slip and sucks.  I was speaking more in terms of a general policy of showing respect to veterans and making rookies work for a starting spot.

Even with Sanchez sucking, I'd rather him take the beating from Suh, Ansah and Fairley than Geno and during the first 4-5 games of the season.  IMO they have to go about it in that way.  If Geno were to start and suck, what would they do then?  They couldn't go back to Sanchez and most don't think McElroy is the answer.  If they start Sanchez and the team sucks and is out of the playoff hunt early, then there's no pressure on Geno and they can see what they have in him for the rest of the season.  If he sucks, then they know they need to draft another QB high next year.  If he plays well, they'll know they have their starting QB going forward and can plan accordingly.  Either way, Sanchez should no longer be on the team next year.  As long as he's here this year, they might as well make him earn his paychecks by taking a beating on the field while the OL gels.

I agree. 

I don't see any where in there that they thought Sanchez was better in the scrimmage. They clearly don't. They were happy he rebounded with a long pass. The fact that they are seemingly going to let Geno get a lot of reps with the 2s after taking some with the ones is pretty telling. I don't feel as bad right now about Buttfumble Headband being trotted out there on opening day, think it will be Geno

I agree that he's earned a pink slip and sucks.  I was speaking more in terms of a general policy of showing respect to veterans and making rookies work for a starting spot.

Even with Sanchez sucking, I'd rather him take the beating from Suh, Ansah and Fairley than Geno and during the first 4-5 games of the season.  IMO they have to go about it in that way.  If Geno were to start and suck, what would they do then?  They couldn't go back to Sanchez and most don't think McElroy is the answer.  If they start Sanchez and the team sucks and is out of the playoff hunt early, then there's no pressure on Geno and they can see what they have in him for the rest of the season.  If he sucks, then they know they need to draft another QB high next year.  If he plays well, they'll know they have their starting QB going forward and can plan accordingly.  Either way, Sanchez should no longer be on the team next year.  As long as he's here this year, they might as well make him earn his paychecks by taking a beating on the field while the OL gels.

I agree. 

I agree. 

That's silly. Giving up on your team essentially before the season starts. You just cannot think that way. Geno deserves the shot because we know Sanchez sucks

That's silly. Giving up on your team essentially before the season starts. You just cannot think that way. Geno deserves the shot because we know Sanchez sucks

No it isn't.  It's called being realistic.  Your logic is totally flawed. Sanchez sucking has nothing to do with Geno and what he deserves.

Look at San Fran.  Alex Smith was worse than Sanchez.  They had Kapernick, a QB Harbaugh loved.  But they stuck with Smith and things turned out well.  

Maybe the Jets will wind up 4-12 and Sanchez stinks up the field and Geno doesn't play till week 8..  Who cares.   Maybe he isn't the QB of the future or maybe he is, but they have to at least hope there is a chance.   And throwing a QB to the wolves on a bad team is asking for the kid to not have a future.   We can all hope things work out, but the Jets offense stinks.  It's that simple.  And with a Rookie QB, that just makes matters worse.  So he goes out there, learns on the fly, and gets beat up while the Jets go 4-12.   There is no up from that point.

Sanchez is still here because the Jets went to the AFC Championship game his first two years.  Imagine if the past two seasons were Sanchez's first two.  He'd be long gone. Most of us would be happy about that, but the reality is, winning teams aren't replacing QBs every couple of seasons. Losing teams do that.  So if it takes a season for Geno to get on the field, so be it.  

Like I said, Kapernick sat his rookie year,  didn't get on the field unitl Smith got injured, and everybody loved the guy all the way to a Super bowl game. 

If Kapernick played last year and the 49ers wound up a 8-8 team, would he have even gotten the same chances this year?    Rushing a young QB who isn't really ready,  helps nobody.  

Archived