Practice Report: Busy Day For Sanchez

flgreen

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most college QB's nowadays that's the case...

That's true but the problem is that Marty isn't running that offense. When the Redskins drafted RG3 and they installed most of Baylor's offense for him, that's fine. They built that offense around their draft pick.

Marty is running a pro offense and he's not installing Air Raid for Geno. Air Raid is even more gimmicky than Spread by the way. It's the Mike Leach Texas Tech offense. We saw Geno try to run spread against Detroit, that's actually fairly new to him as well (he wasn't a runner in college, despite his speed).

Meanwhile guys like Luck, Wilson came from pro style offenses and it helped them be competent right away. Geno has to transition. 

10 years? How about the last 3 years?

Rd 1 instant starters

2013- EJ Manuel

2012 - Andrew Luck, RG3, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden

2011 - Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder 

rd 1 - not instant starters

2011 - Jake Locker 

so just to review in the last 3 years there were 9 QBs taken in rd 1 and only 1 Jake Locker didn't start game 1. 

The days when Aaron Rodgers can sit for 3 years behind Brett Favre are over. Which is a shame, cause Geno probably needs that kind of development. These days rookie QB's who can start go high. THose that need time go after round 1. Bringing up Mike Vick you might as well bring up Johnny Unitas. 

Yeah, there a bunch of day one stars right there. Ponder was the 31st rated QB his rookie year and Gabbert was dead last at 34.

Then you have Weeden and Tannehill who were 29th and 27th respectively. 

Half of your list was gifted the QB job ala Sanchez.

Yeah, there a bunch of day one stars right there. Ponder was the 31st rated QB his rookie year and Gabbert was dead last at 34.

Then you have Weeden and Tannehill who were 29th and 27th respectively. 

Half of your list was gifted the QB job ala Sanchez.

Gifted is a funny way of trying to explain your point. They were drafted to play immediately because of the lack of good QB's currently in the league. It will be interesting to see if Gabbert will be able to do anything this season.

thats kinda my point. teams draft guys in rd1 they think they can start day 1. whether it's a good idea or not, that's what rd 1 QB's are, nowadays. 

With the new rookie wage scale, I suspect this will start to reverse itself again. Teams can be a little more patient when when they're paying Andrew Luck money (4 years/$22M) as opposed to Matt Stafford money (6 years/$41M). 

my opinion from the beginning is that he's not ready. We agree on that. I said if he was a day 1 starter he'd have gone much earlier in the draft. that comment was ripped apart by the usual suspects but I stand by it. Teams need QB's and Geno's fall was for a reason. Geno could be a very good NFL QB but the amount of stuff he has to learn, coming out of that Air Raid offense, is immense. He didn't even take a snap from center for 4 years. TO throw him in there, week 2 at NE on National TV could be a career-ruiner. HE needs to learn. It could take 10 weeks and hes ready after the bye it could take years. But if they don't ruin him they could have a fine QB on their hands. The fact that Mark sucks doesn't change the readiness of Geno Smith.

People will laugh at this comment but Sanchez coming out of Carroll's offense at USC was way more prepared than Geno coming out of WVU. it's the same system that produced Pat White. 

and either way they will draft another QB next year. Marty Morningwheg learned his craft from Bill Walsh and that means a QB every year. 

Thanks.  You're right, we're in total agreement on this on all points, except for the comment about if he was a day 1 starter he'd have gone much earlier in the draft.  I dont think that's necessarily true.  

I hope we're both right about their drafting another QB next year.  You can't have too many imo, and if both he and Geno develop into quality starting-type QBs, then the Jets can trade one of them for multiple picks to really help build up the team around whichever one they decide upon to be their QB of the future.  If both don't develop to that level, one can always serve as the backup to the other. 

I can't wait to see the comments if Sanchez is actually good this year. It's not impossible ya know. 

Except that every single statistical category and the vast majority of his on-field performances suggest that it is in fact impossible.  His most recent year was his worst year and instead of showing signs of developing, he was clearly regressing in phases.  Maybe impossible is a tad hyperbolic, but I'd bet my dog that sanchez doesn't make it out of the bottom quartile of quarterbacks in the league.

Archived