Goddell, Federal Courts Settle concussion lawsuit

Greenseed4

The NFL will find $785 mil in the couch cushions of the home office. What a dog and pony show that was. Anyone still think the league is in trouble?

I'm glad they finally settled football can lead to brain damage.

Can we go back to the real sport now?

The NFL will find $785 mil in the couch cushions of the home office. What a dog and pony show that was. Anyone still think the league is in trouble?

We're talking about the same league that wouldn't pay refs last year, and had a player lockout the year before, right?

Yes?

I don't know what I'm talking about, numbers that big are beyond my grasp.

$785M seems like a sizeable chunk of change to not pass it off on the fans, especially given their recent money-related strong arming of employees.

please. the NFL is making 3-4 BILLION in TV contracts alone THIS YEAR. this isn't hurting them. in any way.

[Providing what BG said is true]  

Then why wouldn't they just pay it off?  Why milk it for 20 years if it doesn't sting, in any way? 

This is the rest of the blurb, updated:

"A group of former players headed by Tony Dorsett, Jim McMahon and the family of deceased Junior Seau accused the NFL of hiding known risks of concussions so that players could return to games and league could protect its image. The NFL still denies any wrongdoing, but they avoid an extended and even costlier litigation process by settling. They also avoid letting the public know exactly how guilty they really were. The $765 million will be used for medical benefits, retired players' injury compensation and medical research. It's a monumental moment for a league that only recently began taking player safety seriously. Although the NFL got off relatively cheap, players will be better protected going forward. "

still can't find the original source.  But you guys/gals know where I got this from. 

probably tax reasons. more than a few of these owners have a net-worth of more than this payout. this doesn't hurt them. and if they pass that cost onto fans, it just confirms what we already know: they are greedy, miserly bastards.

please. the NFL is making 3-4 BILLION in TV contracts alone THIS YEAR. this isn't hurting them. in any way.

salary cap is 123 mil * 32 teams = 4B. that just player labor not coaches, front office etc. It is a tough settlement for any company, jetsjets is right. The real story  is they saved themselves Billions had this thing gone to trial. And they might be more careful turning brains into mush in the future .

salary cap is 123 mil * 32 teams = 4B. that just player labor not coaches, front office etc. It is a tough settlement for any company, jetsjets is right. The real story is they saved themselves Billions had this thing gone to trial. And they might be more careful turning brains into mush in the future .

cry me a river. tickets + merchandise + licensing + whatever else. they're doing fine.

salary cap is 123 mil * 32 teams = 4B. that just player labor not coaches, front office etc. It is a tough settlement for any company, jetsjets is right. The real story is they saved themselves Billions had this thing gone to trial. And they might be more careful turning brains into mush in the future .

Andrew Brandt was on ESPN radio before saying how this was a major win for the NFL as it protects them from future lawsuits, as well. This was the retired players' last shot at a paycheck/money-grab, and any current or future player will have trouble proving that the league was negligent in preventing concussions from here on out. Brandt also said that this lawsuit went by the boards quickly because the NFL could keep this in court forever if it wanted to, but most of the retired guys wanted/needed cash right now. Money grab.

The emotional arguments are entertaining. Since the NFL makes X in revenue per year- that clearly means the 4500 players suing deserve much more than what they just settled on.

Now Barry Petschky and WIll Brinson can write their pieces on how the NFL is evil while they adjust their fantasy teams.

Archived